• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why don't the pros throw 13 and 14 speed discs?

DarkAce1978

Par Member
Correct me if I am wrong but the fastest discs most pros throw are 12 speed Destroyers and Destroyer clones. If pros rarely ever throw anything faster why do 13 and 14 speed discs even exist?

Say you had 1000 ft disc golf hole played on a wide open ball golf course. If I could I would rather throw 600+ ft and have a 350 ft upshot than two 500 ft throws to the basket. The first option might save a stroke. You have to throw a disc faster to get it to fly longer so why not throw a faster speed disc in that scenario? Do Lizotte and McMahon not have the arm speed for them? If they don't why bother even making them?

The difference in real distance between a 12speed and a 14speed MIGHT be 20ft...maybe. And that's only IF they're used to / comfortable with the 14. The bigger the wing, the bigger the potential error. It may not be worth that extra distance.

Higher speed discs are more aerodynamic but tend to have less glide, at least when I throw them. Also they just can be more finicky. Some speed 13's like the Defender are really well used by pro's, Giants are/were somewhat used as well. For max speed/rim width there are some Bosses out there and a few Trilogy pro's throw Worlds, but those two molds in particular seem to get much less predictable once beat in.

I really think that the speed 12ish Destroyer type clones have that balance of speed, glide, and continual stability once beat in.

It's just predictability. A disc like the Destroyer is very reliable, a Boss can go (a little) further but they can be a bit less predictable.

Open throw with no danger? You might see some guys reach for a higher speed, but that's not common. Big Jerm was throwing a Pro Boss for a while but you never knew exactly where it would go.

Part of it might be the courses they play. Not usually useful in the woods courses for obvious reasons but on these ball golf courses where there's OB so close to the green often you probably don't want the extra ground action that the widest rimmed discs give you.

I think it really boils down to mold inconsistency. Bosses (for me) go a nice bit further than Destroyers. Probably 30' on good rips. However, Bosses seem more prone to random bad shots. Flips due to wind or inexplicable hyzer stalls when you don't want them. Destroyers are simply easier to throw consistently than Bosses. I know its only 1 speed class, but it does make a difference.

I feel like I can carve a good, accurate distance line with a Destroyer far easier than a Boss. The Boss I save more for open hole rips where accuracy is not nearly as paramount.

Discraft pros probably use Nukes because its the best long distance option Discraft makes. They have the Force available, but for big flex shots the Nuke is a better option. I personally love the Nuke and feel its one of the very best (consistent) long range driver molds on the market.

I think the predictability is the reason. At least that's what I've heard in the past, and it makes sense.

Maybe I'm wrong (this isn't that molding plastic thread, after all...) but wider rim equals more disc-to-disc variation. You're already getting it with Destroyers (Forces too, I suppose), but that seems to be positive variation allowing folks to get discs with different flight patterns within a mold. Once you move up to 13, there's more variation. Cranks, Katanas, Bosses, Nukes... sure you can say Nukes are consistent, but there's plenty of variation. I have a really beefy Z Nuke that has zero high speed turn and yet has a bit of dome and good glide. I just hope I don't lose it, cuz I certainly haven't found a replacement for it yet. It probably flies like some Nuke OS's.

And OP, there are definitely pros out there that bag these discs (the Boss isn't that rare, and Nukes are out there... can't say anything about Legacy or Trilogy), it's just that there not as ubiquitous as the speed 12s. As for Nate Doss, does he really bag a Nuke? I recently noticed the Discraft page says that, but I just assumed it was out of date. Whenever he's on video, it's Force, Force, Force. Austin Turner and Tim Barham and MJ all have speed 13s though. Some Nukes, some Cranks, maybe a Nuke OS here and there.

Latest posts