• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why is Random Draw Doubles so popular?

The most attended weekly in the Los Angeles area was a "pro"-am, randomly drawn doubles. This wasn't using PDGA ratings, but mostly local consensus. At the signup, the TD would also give you lighthearted **** if he thought you were sandbagging. If you bagged, you'd hear about it, and unless you were an *******, you'd move up. Never saw or heard of many problems.

Was going strong for several years. Last few months had 80-90 people every Friday night. Would still be going strong if developers didn't shut the course down to make way for condos.

Good times...good times....Miss ya 'Dugo.

there was also a healthy Pro/Am singles league on Monday nights, so good options for both tastes.

I love random draw doubles. Its an opportunity to learn from better players or teach newer players. It's also a great way to meet new people. And it's a ton of fun for a crappy rec player like me to get paired up with a really good advanced player who says something like, "Eff this we're going to win the whole thing dude." Its in those moments I often play my a$$ off.

Dubs is not something I enjoy and don't play it that often. I often will make a bad shot when my teammate is counting on me, worry about letting my partner down, and spiral out of control into a round where I'm missing 10' putts. This happens more so if I'm paired with a stranger who is at my skill level or better. If I get teamed up with a friend or someone who is much worse than me I can relax a bit and have a good time. '

Yes I probably have mild anxiety issues.

I've really enjoyed random dubs as my first steps into actual competition after 18 months of casual play. Partners have ranged from a 965 rated local to an 8 year old with a knack for hyzer putting. I always have fun, and I'm learning a lot playing with people who are overall better than me while still having a prayer of finishing well.

I like doubles when it's just a few guys who happen to arrive at the same time and decide on a doubles round. I've met a lot of great people this way.

Organized doubles leagues? Not so much. Actually not at all anymore.

In my area, it's a core clique group, and while playing with many of them in a singles round is fun, on the group league, it just turns into a stoner drunk fest. On my last one, we didn't use a single one of my partners shots after the third hole, after 15, he stopped throwing and by 18 he was stumbling drunk to get to his car.

I like meeting/playing with new people and having fun. Random doubles just hasn't been the place for me to do that.

Getting paired up with local pros in my 7th year at informal league random draw doubles is how I went from casual rec player to quickly learning how to play decently enough to become addicted to the sport. Thank you so much, J-Bird and Capital City Renegades (Lansing, MI) circa 1996!

The one singles round in the area is run by me. Started it in September of last year. It's doing ok so far. We will see what happens this summer.

I think that is both great and unfortunate.

I like doubles I see the draw of doing random dubs but I think you have a legit complaint.
Hats off to you for stepping up and being the change you want to see. I would go crazy without the choice of getting organized singles rounds as well.

Not a fan of pure random draw doubles for "fairness" when there's a wide range of skill levels in the field, especially beginners. Splitting field into equal sized upper and lower skill groups then randomly drawing teams with one player from each pool is a fairer version of random dubs. It also gives the beginners and players in the lower pool a chance to play with a better, likely more veteran player to learn the game.

Yes and then it is so cool to see a older masters player show a kid to young teen how to play the game better, like other shots he could use or better line to throw even disc selection like in some wooded stuff disc speed up or down to have a better chance at paring the shot. Something like that is fun to see. As well as seeing sometimes the discs that are not in production or made like that run and worth a bit that the Masters player is using. Of Course the Kid may surprise you too by saving tail in some aspect of the game that is easier to learn as a kid.

What they did in 2000's before the old leuge faild after 2 years was doubles where both players played there shots and combined them but it was based off of rounds before so first week was a singles then the doubles where you got matched by the skill of player with his round from week before and unfortunately they did not have a player at my level they were either too high or two low at one point. New players got often paired with a player who did not have a match but I was unfortunate at one point when it was just the people who started the league. Next year it failed as the league was not getting the amount of participants constant enough and they went to a singles singles league where it was more like a single round tournament but only male and female categories and the age categories so everyone from age 17 to under 40 played in one division male or female. Was really sad and ended a few years later they tried with the league but not enough players so it was just Wednesday nights in the summer as the Saturday was not bringing out new players, found out with most of the people my age it was Sunday was the best day to do the league stuff and now is random doubles but not totally random like if it is a known top local player paired with another known top local player then yeah they do redraw the names.

Latest posts