• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why look away when someone is putting?

The human eyes and brain evolved to become really really good at recognizing and picking out human faces from the scenery. I assumed this is why I was taught to turn away if I was at least somewhat in the line of sight of someone putting.

You were taught wrong. Now help spread the word about what is right. Watch the putter (if you can without moving).

the eye is the window to the soul. you don't want your soul sucked out, do you?

And even then, How little this rule is used in rule discussions:

These rules have been designed to promote fair play for all disc golfers. In using these rules, the player should apply the rule that most directly addresses the situation at hand. If any point in dispute is not covered by the rules, the decision is made in accordance with fairness. Often a logical extension of the closest existing rule or the principles embodied in these rules will provide guidance for determining fairness.

https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/80101

Use of that rule should be rare these days. That rule is not a license to do whatever feels right. It is only to be invoked when the point in dispute is not covered by the rules.

The current rules cover almost everything, if you look. We've had many years to create, expand, or clarify rules to cover the situations no one had thought of before the first time they happened.

I've never seen anybody look away from a putt on a course. Maybe the following is new? This morning, I threw my disc from the long pads and hit a tree down fairway. A young man playing quickly caught up with me playing short tees, and I invited him to play thru since I was also laser ranging the course. We chatted, reached my disc first, as I was throwing facing him, he came into my eyesight, and he had turned away. Caught me by surprise, thought of this thread, chuckled, and yanked my approach hitting another tree.

I may have surprised him throwing as a lefty and thought he was in a good spot expecting a righty. But I can't recall in tournament coverage seeing anyone turning away in the fairway or on the tee.

I can't recall in tournament coverage seeing anyone turning away in the fairway or on the tee.

That's because players always follow the rules: A player must watch the other members of the group throw in order to ensure rules compliance and to help find discs. (812.B.2)
I couldn't find the section of the rules where it says players don't have to do this when putting is involved, but it must be there!

That's because players always follow the rules: A player must watch the other members of the group throw in order to ensure rules compliance and to help find discs. (812.B.2)
I couldn't find the section of the rules where it says players don't have to do this when putting is involved, but it must be there!

I know this has been hashed out on the thread, but common sense tells me if you're going to "ensure rules compliance", you should be keeping your eyes on your card whether on the tee, fairway, or putting green. It seems like there are a lot of "I didn't see it" when one player calls out another, and the rest of the card just shrugs. "A player "must" watch the other members of the group throw in order to ensure rules compliance". If I'm in competition and I call out a player for a rule infraction, and the other two members of the card didn't follow the "must" after I asked for their help, I might just call them out on a rule infraction, if I thought they weren't watching within a reasonable distance. I think my one hole playing partner had to of emulated turning away on the fairway from somebody, he was fairly new to the game. Personally, I'm watching every stroke for the entertainment value.

Since you seem to have spent the time trying to find a rule that relieves players from watching putts for rule compliance, sounds like it's not there. Watching tournament coverage and listening to commentary it seems most of the field would rather go along to get along, and not rock the boat. That seems to be why rules are missed or not called that have been discussed on other threads.

I get nervous when people are watching me putt so I guess I wouldn't mind if someone looked away while I completely air ball a putt.

I prefer to watch every shot of the people I'm playing with, including putts especially if it's a somewhat competitive round.

If they are putting confidently and hitting center chains I know I may have to step up my game. If their putts are all over the place I may have a different mind set.

My point being is if I watch them putt then I have a better idea of how they are playing and a better idea of how I need to play if my goal is to beat them. More information is better right?

Spotting at tourneys frequently means i am in the putters line of sight. I don't move a muscle. And i do watch. No one has ever complained.
The whole thing seems silly.
Not like i'm six feet past the pin, staring back....

I prefer to watch every shot of the people I'm playing with, including putts especially if it's a somewhat competitive round.

If they are putting confidently and hitting center chains I know I may have to step up my game. If their putts are all over the place I may have a different mind set.

My point being is if I watch them putt then I have a better idea of how they are playing and a better idea of how I need to play if my goal is to beat them. More information is better right?

Ohn is definitely not the norm, but most of her putts look wobbly and uncontrolled and just about all of them go in. I'm sure for 99% of opponents, your strategy is sound, but there's always exceptions.

Personally I play against the course. If I am taking care of what I need to, it doesn't matter what the other members of my card are doing.

How is the other person putting 3 cards away that you're tied with doing? Doesn't matter.

Does anyone have a reasonable explanation as to why pro player look away when someone else is putting?
I work in film and it's always industry practice to not look at actors when they're acting. Eyes are drawn to eyes. It's just polite.

I work in film and it's always industry practice to not look at actors when they're acting. Eyes are drawn to eyes. It's just polite.

Honestly, I don't think it matters, sometimes I watch other times I don't. Heck on tour the whole gallery is watching, holding their collective breaths and players seem to make all/most of the putts. If I'm not looking you can bet on the inside I am saying "MISS IT, MISS IT, **** IT MISS IT ALREADY.....Followed by the obligatory "nice putt or good line"....... or "Wow, thought you had it".

I look away but keep the shot in my peripheral. Has nothing to do with the person putting but more with myself. I'm focused on my game and my putting (and to be honest) could care less how you are shooting. I'm not trying to sabotage you by making eye contact or moving while you putt, but I'm also not trying to sabotage me by taking my mind off what I need to do. And I feel a lot of players are like that. We still "see" the shot, but are looking down or away more for ourselves than the person who is putting.

Latest posts