• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

why use the metric system in disc golf?

Why NOT use the metric system for ANYTHING ?

There's no true reason not to. Sure, it would cost billions of dollars, and take at least a generation to get used to the change.

Other than that, it's easy. :D

I would agree that it would be better to have the metric system, however it is going to be too costly to do so. Cyclist did bring up the point that I was going to bring up as the healthcare professions do use the metric system. Once I started using the metric system while going to school for my profession, I found the metric system much more logical. If anyone has been to Puerto Rico, that is interesting. They have the speed limits in mph, but the distances in kmh.

The only metric measurement I struggle with is temperature, everything else would be a pretty easy transition. Driving wouldn't be a big deal, all speedometers have both units anyway, I don't find it difficult at all driving in Canada and thinking in km.

Just to thumb our noses at the world, we could change to a base 12 metric system instead of the base 10 of SI.

12 inches in a foot
12 feet in a "metric" rod (= 4 yards)
12 yards in a "metric" furlong (= 144 feet or 48 yards)
12 furlongs in a "metric" mile (~1/3 survey mile)
etc.

12 "metric" ounces in a pound
12 pounds in a "metric" stone
12 "metric" stones in a "metric" sack
12 "metric" sacks in a "metric" short ton
etc.

12 ounces in a "metric" pint, 12 "metric" pints in a "metric" gallon, etc.

Then to make it even easier, we could just convert to a base-12 numbering system altogether. It could even be cast as a "patriotic" and "western" system, as opposed to the "Arabic" base 10 system. :p

Random bit o Trivia. The brits drive on the left side of the road due to a very old idea. As a right handed person, which most are, it's much easier to stab someone with a lance on horseback from the left side of the road. It essentially comes from jousting.

Random bit o Trivia. The brits drive on the left side of the road due to a very old idea. As a right handed person, which most are, it's much easier to stab someone with a lance on horseback from the left side of the road. It essentially comes from jousting.

Then why do the French, and the rest of Europe, and all of North America, drive on the right side of the road?

Actually, you joust across your body, so they would be on the right o_O

Here are a few explanations: http://brianlucas.ca/roadside/

Retrofitting headlights for the nation would be a pain in the tail. Not to mention all the crashes from forgetful folks.

Headlights have reflectors which help keep opposing drivers from being blinded. Vehicles are outfitted for one side or the other driving. Take a car from the US to England and you'd have to switch out the lights to get it up to standards.

Disc golf is one of the overall events of World Flying Disc Federation rules, and all those events that have linear measurements are metric. Distance in meters, Double Disc Court is 12 meters square separated by 12 meters, Guts is I think also 12 meters between teams, accuracy measured in meters away form the target, Throw, Run, Catch distance in meters. So it's consistent anywhere an overall tournement is held.

volleyball is metric too.

court is 9meters by 9 meters with a line 1/3 of the way or 3meters back to say backrow...

the guys call it 30x30 and 10foot line but sadly the painters that draw the lines commonly go by IMPERIAL numbes so you get 30x30 with 10 foot lines. anyhow not a big deal but even net height is hard to measure since it is in CM and nobody has a cm tape on them.

Metric is better.

Give me a LITER OF COLA DAMMIT!

Double it and add 30. Metric 6 pack is 42 beers.

Oh, that brings back memories.

bob-and-doug-mackenzie.jpg

This is something we should really consider.

Lets compare.

There are 12 inches in a foot. 3 feet in a yard. 1760 yards to a mile.

OR

There are 100 centimeters a meter. 1000 in a kilometer.

Now do the math, real quick in your head???

How many inches in a yard? How many inches in a mile? It's so hard....

or

How many cm in a meter, 100, how many in a meters in a km, 1000. So easy

Seriously people, 10x 10 is so much easier than a fraction of 12 or a multiple of 12 and 3.

Come on, how many people in our culture know that 3/8 inch is .375, and why would they? This is king george or king dufus dumb.

1cm (width of your finger) x 100 = 1 meter (a bit longer than a yard) x 1000 = 1 km (less than a mile, about .62)

IF YOU THROW 100 METERS, YOU THROW 328 FEET, IF YOU'RE OUTSIDE THE CIRCLE 10 METERS, IT'S A 32.8foot PUTT.