• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wide Reachback

bfowler

Double Eagle Member
I can't find the video on youtube but I recently saw a clip of Nate Doss driving and noticed on his reach back and he didn't reach straight back. He reached back about 5 or 6 inches off the line away from his body. But when he pulled it he brought it into his body/chest and then the rest looked like a regular throw.

I messed around with it and almost instantly got good snap off my throws and added 30 feet to my throws.

I don't know if it created a different, faster arc on the throw thus producing more spin. Maybe it helps get my timing right as I can feel the disc bounce into my chest or power pocket.

Has anyone else tried this? Does anyone throw like this? I did a bunch of different searches online but couldn't find anything.

IMO your muscles stay a bit looser keeping the disc a little off your chest than trying to pull straight through. You can feel you pec and shoulder tense up a lot more if you bring your arm across nearly parallel to your chest where there is more free motion intitally starting out with the arm a bit wider. Its pretty common for most throwers to come out a little unless they have short-reachbacks or huge shoulder turn like WS which moves your arm away from your chest b/c hes turning the opposite shoulder allowing him to come straight through but hes not throwing straight across his chest.

Barry Scultz and Philo Brathwaite both do this as well, but it's more exaggerated when they do it.

i don't reach directly straight back either. It is a little off the straight line. It prevents me from hitting shoulder or chest on pull through, thus i can pull as hard as I want. If i reach straight back i also "Baby" it just a little, which causes loss of accuracy and distance.

Good video. he starts out furthest away from his chest with the disc nearly perpendicular to his line in the initial part of the reach back-- which is what the OP is stating regardless of straight arm or not.

I drive the same way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9bVtYs78lY&feature=youtu.be

I based my form on Barry's though mine in not nearly as good.

For me, it really prevents rounding, and allows me to throw very flat shots with control. The dowside for me is that since I am not reaching back "on the line" it becomes very timing sensitive, it is crucial that I get my weight planted firmly forward before I rip, and that I bring it in tight when I pull through.

I tried this style of reachback for a while, and it yielded instant results like the OP stated. But it wasn't sustainable for me. The whip motion caused a lot of stress on my elbow, and it just became too inconsistent. I've since switched to the Nikko/Schusterick style of throwing, and I've been loving t.

I tried this style of reachback for a while, and it yielded instant results like the OP stated. But it wasn't sustainable for me. The whip motion caused a lot of stress on my elbow, and it just became too inconsistent. I've since switched to the Nikko/Schusterick style of throwing, and I've been loving t.

This is what I've noticed doing this with the arm a bit looser and out. I get far more elbow strain doing it. I also get some bicep strain too.

I get pains in my left arm, but it's because my timing is off and I don't keep constant acceleration in every lever. I let some slack into one joint or another, then the other levers catch up and jerk on it.

OP: I reach back a little wider than I come through. Just comfortable for me; I'm better at getting my weight over the disc that way.

Latest posts