• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Will a Star TL ever behave like a beat DX Teebird?

FierceTable

Par Member
A friend bought me a Star TL, but it really has no place in my bag right now. DX Teebirds lose lots of low speed stability and less high speed stability as they wear. Star Teebirds wear in the opposite from what I can tell (losing more hss and less lss). I hate that I'm going to have to eventually season another DX Teebird and was wondering if I could beat in the Star TL I have and get it to perform similarly while ending up with something that might stay in that sweet spot range for longer.

It will stay in the sweetspot range longer, and will roll better too. It will just take longer to get there, the star TL's actually start out pretty not straight at all, but give it some time and some tree whacks, and you've got a great disc.

Hi there. Noob here, looking for info on dx teebirds in general. Threw the Champ in the past but currently don't trust champion plastic too much and am trying to cut the ties with innova champion plastic and stick with star and dx - specifically the glo dx. I have one glo teebird and like it but still not sure what will happen once it inevitably gets torn up / seasoned. Should I stick it out with the glo bird or shop for a new fairway driver alltogethor? Sorry I have no experience with the star TL. Not trying to jack your thread.

There used to be a sticky that had multiple threads with everything you ever wanted to know about dx TB's, not sure why it's gone.

ubernoodles said:
Hi there. Noob here, looking for info on dx teebirds in general. Threw the Champ in the past but currently don't trust champion plastic too much and am trying to cut the ties with innova champion plastic and stick with star and dx - specifically the glo dx. I have one glo teebird and like it but still not sure what will happen once it inevitably gets torn up / seasoned. Should I stick it out with the glo bird or shop for a new fairway driver alltogethor? Sorry I have no experience with the star TL. Not trying to jack your thread.
Glo DX has a nasty habit of cracking or splitting way faster than normal DX. DX TBs stay pretty stable until they are quite ugly. A lot of people mistake torque for turn, show a seasoned TB some torque and she ain't coming back for you. With clean form though, a seasoned DX TB is a thing of beauty.

NoLifeLeft said:
A lot of people mistake torque for turn, show a seasoned TB some torque and she ain't coming back for you. With clean form though, a seasoned DX TB is a thing of beauty.

Torque is simply forcing something to spin on an axis. It is done with clean form. Off-axis torque is done through unclean form (or intentionally with clean form). I think what you are talking about is good armspeed control.

discspeed said:
NoLifeLeft said:
A lot of people mistake torque for turn, show a seasoned TB some torque and she ain't coming back for you. With clean form though, a seasoned DX TB is a thing of beauty.

Torque is simply forcing something to spin on an axis. It is done with clean form. Off-axis torque is done through unclean form (or intentionally with clean form). I think what you are talking about is good armspeed control.
I was referring to OAT, I was just shortening a bit much. I'm specifically talking about the people that either OAT a TB or release anny without realizing it and then say "the Teebird can't handle my throw" :roll: They usually then proceed to "rip" a Boss 250'.

I'm specifically talking about the people that either OAT a TB or release anny without realizing it and then say "the Teebird can't handle my throw" They usually then proceed to "rip" a Boss 250'.
Once I chatted up this guy who was throwing destroyers roughly 300' throwing gentle S curves. Anyway, I was trying to be helpful telling him to throw slower drivers flatter... Well, I might as well have told him he totally sucked. I still get dirty looks if I see him on the course. He is still throwing 300'.

Anyway, the TL flies a lot like a seasoned dx teebird...but breaks in more like a fast leopard and isnt nearly as reliable in the wind.

NoLifeLeft said:
discspeed said:
NoLifeLeft said:

I was referring to OAT, I was just shortening a bit much. I'm specifically talking about the people that either OAT a TB or release anny without realizing it and then say "the Teebird can't handle my throw" :roll: They usually then proceed to "rip" a Boss 250'.
Yeah, beat DX Teebirds do not like OAT. If you get just a little bit too much they'll turn over and not come back. I haven't thrown a Star TL, but the Pro TL's I had would hold a gentle turnover a lot easier than a DX Teebird in any stage of wear.

The Star TL will hardly ever if thrown correctly resemble a DX Teebird. The TL is less HSS to start with and is more along the lines of an EX in terms of versatility. The Teebird is better at going straight. The TL is better at shaping lines. They shouldn't be used to replace one or the other, they should be used together.

Lithicon said:
The Star TL will hardly ever if thrown correctly resemble a DX Teebird. The TL is less HSS to start with and is more along the lines of an EX in terms of versatility. The Teebird is better at going straight. The TL is better at shaping lines. They shouldn't be used to replace one or the other, they should be used together.

by the numbers, wouldn't the opposite be true? the tb is more stable than the tl, making it presumably better at shaping lines (hyzers, straight, annies that come back, annies that stay right if you crank it, overhands, etc) and the tl better at going straight (straight, annies, hyzer flips). tb = ex. tl = el.

The TL holds annys much easier than the TB. Once you can get them past 330' they start to turn over a bit on their own so they become a great hyzerflip disc. They are unfortunately very weak in wind which is why I added Eagle X's to my bag.

I really think you are going a little overboard with this...

The TL's flight will very much resemble a dx teebirds flight...straight with a little fade...

a pred, gazelle, pd, and like 20 other drivers will also resemble a teebirds flight. The is nothing magic about a dx teebird's flight. Its just straight with a little fade. The TL is designed to do this. Plus it rolls better than a dx teebird ;P

Yeah, like Animix said Ex and TL will turn more, the dx teebird when it gets to turning in it's high speed portion the LSS is completly gone and can't handle power anymore and is very squirrely so the EX and TL that already have highspeed turn shape lines better because they still retain more LSS than the teebird. The EX just does better in the wind than the TL. Which is why I say pair a TL with something like a Teebird that can handle wind. The Ex is not really a good pair to the TL as it pretty much does the same things. If I weren't throwing the cyclone in place of the TL. I would still carry the SOLF and TL. Or SOLF and EX if I didn't already have so many TLs.

i'm thinking of trying out the teebird cyclone combo. right now i have straight TBs. maybe i should toss a TL in the bag since innova is more available around these parts.

Actually there is something kind of magical about the Teebird and it's how well it can handle power. The Teebird really isn't suppose to turn until I believe until you can throw it with somewhere around 375-380' of power. As the TL and EX will turn closer to 330-350' of power. Their flights end up being the same because people aren't throwing quite as hard ad they should to see their true flight. This goes back to the theory of throwing a boss as a Headwind driver, without the proper power, it does behave like a firebird. With Proper power it behaves much less stable. The Teebird can handle more power, therfore is straight with fade. The TL is designed with high speed turn, not to be straight with fade. Thrown with proper hyzer with no wind it can be straight with fade though.

Yeah, I completely agree. But, with the DX Teebird it can still hand a good deal of power, so the flight hardly changes. But, the Teebird is just one of those disc that can handle power out the wazoo and just flies farther without changing flight characteristics.

Latest posts