• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wind putter?

wolfman7207

Bogey Member
I need some suggestions for a putter that can handle the wind well. I currently use the Soft Magnet and love them but as soon as the wind picks up the accuracy can go down the tube. I have been looking at the Soft Wizard or the Omega Super Soft but I am open to any suggestions.

Keep in mind there is no magic putter that will make wind a non-factor. You will still need to know how a wind fighting putter will behave in certain wind conditions to make putts.

With that said, I have heard of Rhynos and Wizards as good wind putters.

Throw anything upside down. It will drop hard and stay down. It's a great layup shot into a hard wind.

Rhyno's great and so is the VP. The Ringer is also really nice, very thin profile and good stability.

I usually stick with the Rhyno since it's always in my bag anyway.

I need some suggestions for a putter that can handle the wind well. I currently use the Soft Magnet and love them but as soon as the wind picks up the accuracy can go down the tube. I have been looking at the Soft Wizard or the Omega Super Soft but I am open to any suggestions.

Ryhno in Pro or Star....depending on how hard you throw, maybe a pro-d zone or esp zone.....which is very nice approach in the wind.

Just use a heavier putter or your lightest/slowest mid... I use Aviar P&A ~150g for reg putting (<20ft or so) and the same disc but ~175g for longer putts (20-40ft) or windy days. Sometimes I use Shark or Roc as putter also. You should be comfortable enough with your mids to do just about any shot on the course with them.

As was mentioned, throwing your regular putter upside down works too; it will take away almost all glide. Sometimes, you get some weird bounces off the chains, though. Practice with it a bit and see if it works for you.

Last edited:
Throw anything upside down. It will drop hard and stay down. It's a great layup shot into a hard wind.

This is a good idea.
Another idea is to use a stable mid range disc in your bag. In the old days people use to use the original roc to putt with in the wind. But like some one already said, there is no magic disc that will putt better in the wind.
When it's windy I use my Ping Aviar putter but release it on a steep angle, keep it low and throw it knowing it's going to turn over....sometimes I close my eyes too. :p

My usual putter is a 180g aero, but in wind I use a 178g Roc. I tried the omega super soft for a while but i really didn't like it.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!!!!!! I think I will go to my local Pro Shop next week and see how the Rhyno feels.

I use the Omega SS for my regular putting, but in strong winds I will turn a Boss or Firebird upside down... if you miss, the wind will knock it down to the ground. Use a disc that cuts through the wind when you drive with it.

What kind of wind?

My theory is this (Speaking generally, not just towards you). Your go to putter handles wind just fine. If there's a headwind, throw it with extra nose down and / or hyzer. If there is a tailwind, throw it a little harder and nose up. L to R crosswind, hyzer putt. R to L crosswind, anhyzer putt. The latter two will need extra push because the wind will be making them drop, but they won't be lifted up and carried like if you tried to hyzer putt in a L to R crosswind. All throws assume RHBH throwing. I don't believe in carrying an extra putter mold for the wind.

What kinda grip you use for that ? :D

As to the original question:

You want a brick for windy days, nothing fluffy and floaty. As heavy as is legally allowed.

Already mentioned here, and many many times in the other linked thread, the VP, although newer, is probably the best windy day putter out there.
If not the best, at least top 3.

Latest posts