• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

#@&%*! Wind

Playing in fast wind (especailly gusty) is difficult, but what will set you apart from the rest is getting out on those windy days and learning how to play it well.... and sometimes to your advantage. I make it a point to try and get out and throw putts/ layups on those windy days and I can definitely see eventually getting to the point that wind is only a minor factor.

true, getting out and practicing when conditions are crappy is the best way to improve. also, learn how to putt and layup with an overstable disc. in extreme wind conditions, i use a firebird anytime i get a chance. even for 10' putts if there is a fierce headwind. putters are not designed to fight the wind. disc up and use something beefy.

also, this article from the discraft website is very good.

The wind doesn't really effect me except on putts where it's better to play conservatively and lay up under the basket.

Heres a tip; set up your shot to land up wind of the basket so that you have a tailwind putt.

Ha...those windy putt vids were great! That's happened to me too many times to smile at anymore. Definitely need to practice in high winds from all angles. Putting is the worst, and like GLong, I'll use a driver sometimes. 15-20mph isn't a huge problem, but when it gets stronger you really do need to think carefully about shot placement and wind direction. Always try to land upstream on your approaches and putts if you can. Higher speed and/or overstable plastic really helps on drives. I don't have the arm for it normally, but I'm finding that a Teerex X allows me to still get decent drives into 25-30mph headwinds...better/further for me than the Max and haven't been able to flip it yet in those conditions. Just keep it low and smooth.

I've noticed the better players have very little trouble with wind (aside from long putts); they keep the disc low, they use overstable plastic, and they learn to use the wind depending on the direction it's coming at them. Wind is always going to be a part of the game - I think a windy day is a great time to challenge yourself.

Wow, wind really makes things so much more difficult out there. I started playing yesterday in 5-10mph winds. By the time we reached the 9th hole the wind was whipping at about 25-30mph with gusts up to 40-50. I tried to hyzer around a tree on the 18th hole and the wind picked up the disc 30 feet into the air, and took it 100 feet behind me. It's difficult enough on a course like Harry Myers http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1347 on your first trip there in perfect conditions.

I'm curious how extreme wind conditions like this affect pro scores during a tourny. If the pros score 8-10 below in ideal conditions what is a typical score with crazy wind conditions.

I play in west Texas every week. Today in Colorado City (Ruddick Park) and yesterday in Lubbock (Mackenzie Park). 30 mph winds are common.

If you must throw uphill against heavy winds, get the most overstable, fast driver in your bag... turn it upside down and putt with it remembering to keep the nose down. If the wind gusts up, it will drive the disc to the ground and you'll probably have a drop in. From all other angles, use your putter throwing flat and as slow as possible. Sometimes it's just so strong you have to lay up and drop in.

Watching the San Diego guys... throwing above 10 feet off the ground is asking for trouble unless you're throwing downwind.

Latest posts