• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New DG'er continues to improve

Curtis_Valk

Eagle Member
Continued from this thread. Now is a good time for an update. My game and throwing technique have been improving. I have added a few discs to my bag in the last month or so and a couple of them have proven quite productive. Today I scored my first deuce! :hfive: Hole 6 at Harry Myers is 222 feet with a fairly narrow (for me) throwing lane through the woods. The basket is up on a mound and behind the massive trunk of a very large tree. I threw my new X Comet off the tee level and straight down the pike at the proper height to get that beautiful glide that it produces. She landed on the mound just to the left of the tree and skidded to within "gimme" range of the basket.

235146b0.jpg

I know this type of play on a short basket is a daily occurance for many here, but two months ago I could barely even throw 222 feet (I started playing DG on Thanksgiving 2012). I have progressed from being able to get my JLS up to speed only when throwing against the wind to throwing it in any condition except downwind. I'm using a Valkyrie some now for into the wind but have not quite mastered it, so I still mostly use my JLS. I bought a lighter Buzzz in X plastic because my Z Buzzz at 179 grams was a bit heavy at the start, but about that time my form improved to the point that I am able to throw it well. I use the Z Buzzz sometimes for a downwind driver. The X Buzzz still gets some use though, as it starts to turn earlier than the Z and sometimes that is needed. The X Comet has become quite quite a workhorse for me even though I have only had it a few weeks. It just flies well for me and is very predictable. It requres very little power to fly far which in turn helps me with accuracy.

Anyway, I was able to get in three rounds in three days this weekend and I'm a happy camper. My scores are nothing to write home about but they're settling down into something consistent so I know I can continue to drop strokes here and there until they are. Scores for my last few games at H.M. are 72, 69, 73, 69 and a 70 today. Thanks to all here who share their experiences and knowledge. I have benefitted greatly and will continue to do so.

Curtis

Last edited:
that hole looks thick and nasty! is there more room to the right than i see in this picture?

that hole looks thick and nasty! is there more room to the right than i see in this picture?

Yeah, it looks to me like they may have taken the picture from just ahead of the tee box and a little to the right. The reason I say that is from the tee box, the basket is completely hidden by the trunk of the tree. It's not as bad as they make it look, but nothing to take lightly either.

Curtis

what's the par at this course? sounds like you're making quick strides.

great that you're using a comet. if you learn how to control that thing it will go far in your ability to throw other discs.

Yeah, keep up the good work. Play as much as you can and always keep your score. That way you will be able to track your progress. (I know a guy who started playing about 4 months ago and still isn't ready to start recording his score :confused:) Also, you sound like a Discraft guy. The Comet is a great disc (as is the Buzzz), and I would also recommend to you the Stratus. Both those discs are money to me. :thmbup:

what's the par at this course? sounds like you're making quick strides.

Par 65, 6076 feet from the Red Tees. Six of the first nine holes are heavily wooded, and can punish errant throws (I have the briar scratches to prove it). That is a good thing for my game. I learned early on that it was better to throw 60 to 80 percent power and stay out of trouble than to try to throw too hard and then have to work hard for par (or bogie). By the time I get the accuracy I want and need, the distance will be there without so much effort.

Curtis

Also, you sound like a Discraft guy. The Comet is a great disc (as is the Buzzz), and I would also recommend to you the Stratus. Both those discs are money to me. :thmbup:

I'm an equal opportunity disc golfer. In my bag are 4 Discraft, 3 Innova, 3 Millenium and even a Lightening. But yeah, my midrange slots are mainly Discraft. I'll check out the Stratus, thanks. I have to be careful that I don't add discs when I should be learning the ones I already have. The original four I started with quickly grew to six or seven and now I'm up to eleven.

Curtis

P.S. Now that I look at Marshall's chart, the Stratus looks similar to my Innova Super Stingray exept it is even more understable. Looks like a good recommendation, thanks.

Last edited:
I'm an equal opportunity disc golfer.

Me too! Gateway, Discraft, Innova, and Latitude in the bag currently.

I have to be careful that I don't add discs when I should be learning the ones I already have.

I like this sentence a lot. It pays to take note when someone suggests new mold or plastic possibilities, but you are definitely doing the right thing by learning what you have. I'm up to over three years of playing and own almost 200 discs (some purchased, some tourney payout, some gifts or players packs), and although I know what I like and can generally use them well, I love learning new uses for all kinds of discs. Besides, it's only partly the disc; the rest is what you do with it!

Congrats on your progress! :clap:

Still making progress here. I'm playing about one or two rounds per week and practicing in the field behind my house when I can. My Polaris LS is my go-to driver for most instances. It just goes straight for me every time if I do my part and my distance with it approaches 300 on most days.

The JLS finally started to turn over on me, and at first I was dismayed to find that the Valkyrie does as well. I'm beginning to understand though that these understable discs just require good technique when you begin to throw hard. I'm getting better at smoothing my throws to control how much they turn. Recently I decided to try to hyzer flip, and had good success with my Valkyrie getting it out to about 320 or 330. However, I need more practice as I am more used to throwing straight and level when throwing hard. Putting hyzer on the disc throws my timing off some. I recently added a DGA Undertow, but haven't thrown it enough to see if it will replace anything currently in my bag. I also got talked into a Prodigy D4 and although it is very fast, it is understable enough to behave for me especially if I throw into a headwind. It has tons of glide and I can throw it level. It will bend right for most of its flight and then fade pretty hard at the end.

As you can see, I'm still sticking with stable to understable discs. The Teebird and the Beast that I found back in December I can now begin to get decent results from whereas before I just didn't have the arm. The Teebird is the least understable of my discs. I can't get much D with it but I use it when I need a straight throw that fades at the end (sort of like a longer version of my Z Buzzz). I may start experimenting soon with a bit more overstable fairway driver. Maybe a Polaris LF or something. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Curtis

Not sure how much you are into it, but its kind of hard to give an honest suggestion without seeing how you throw. I completely understand that you are new to the game, but that is the perfect time to learn how to throw properly. Typically when people first start playing the game they develop bad habits (that can definitely work out ok for them sometimes) that are very hard to unlearn in the future. When you are new......you haven't developed bad muscle memory yet so its much easier to catch on faster.

Try finding a local pro or somebody in your area that gives lessons, or try learning on your own (lots of great instuctional videos out there), or post a video up in the "form critique" threads and get advice from people on there.

If you are getting a valk out to 320, that is definitely impressive for a newer player, but if thats where you are maxing out, I would strongly suggest staying away from anything faster than that (and to be honest the valk is still a bit too fast for you). I would stick to your teebird/maybe a leopard/mids and putters for a while. Just my two cents.....good luck!

Thanks BR, we are more or less on the same page I think. I am quite content to hang out at around speed 7 or so for the bulk of my driving, and stay on the understable side so as not to hide any OAT that might be creeping in. I was just a little surprised at the "jump" or "spurt" in arm speed that happened around a month ago. Other than brief forays into distance for the sake of curiosity, my main focus is to back off the power in order to concentrate on consistent form.

In my midrange discs my X Buzzz and X Comet keep me honest and tell on me if my form isn't smooth. I'm working on shaping shots as much as I can with these. Still hit and miss, but I'm getting there. There is a local here who runs a disc shop that I'm trying to get together with for a critique. Thanks for your suggestions.

Curtis

P.S. Forgot to mention that my Valkyrie is only 150 grams so it's not as unsuitable as a heavier version would be.

Thanks again,
Curtis

Latest posts