• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

#@&%*! Wind

Tdubya

Wow, wind really makes things so much more difficult out there. I started playing yesterday in 5-10mph winds. By the time we reached the 9th hole the wind was whipping at about 25-30mph with gusts up to 40-50. I tried to hyzer around a tree on the 18th hole and the wind picked up the disc 30 feet into the air, and took it 100 feet behind me. It's difficult enough on a course like Harry Myers http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1347 on your first trip there in perfect conditions.

I'm curious how extreme wind conditions like this affect pro scores during a tourny. If the pros score 8-10 below in ideal conditions what is a typical score with crazy wind conditions.

Without wind, this game would be too easy. Think of playing golf with a bunch of bunkers...Wind and trees are our bunkers.

Playing in fast wind (especailly gusty) is difficult, but what will set you apart from the rest is getting out on those windy days and learning how to play it well.... and sometimes to your advantage. I make it a point to try and get out and throw putts/ layups on those windy days and I can definitely see eventually getting to the point that wind is only a minor factor.

Play conservatively and watch everybody else fall apart around you.

Come to West Texas. 20 mph is calm here. I think wind helps with disc/shot selection a lot. I play better when it's windy. Shot -6 (best at this course for me) yesterday in 30 mph sustained winds with 40-50 mph gusts. Really looking forward to the GBO in Kansas, I know it's gonna be windy as heck.

Yeah, the trick is learning how to play a different game in that kind of wind. Instead of trying to hyzer around a tree, take the straight layup and go at the next shot from a better angle. Keep it low and flat, throw overstable plastic, and don't let one or two squirrely throws get into your head and ruin your round.

Remember, the wind is just as scared of you as you are of it.

I'm definitely NOT at a point where the wind doesn't affect my game. I was having to layup on puts outside of 20 feet for fear it would end up 50 feet away. I saw discs bounce and fly 30-40 backwards, then roll another 50 back (luckily not mine). The most stable disc I have in my bag (Teebird) was no match for the wind.

Yeah, even if you're too new to the game and don't throw hard enough for overstable plastic, it's still good to have some for specifically that reason. I'd rather throw a Pred 250' into the wind than try and get a 375' drive out of my normal understable bombers. Try a Discmania PD, they're pretty reliable in medium wind. And grab a Pred or a Firebird for those 50 mph gusting throws.

Don't like the gusts and putting. My excaliber only comes out on windy days.

i love playing in extreme weather. it really brings out the ability in yourself and the people you play with. adds so much creativity to the game.

i actually like playing in the wind because i adjust to it pretty well and some people i know of dont like it and it will raise their score quite a bit. but i like it for that reason its a good tool to have to know how wind affects your disc and how to use it to your advantage... disc selection is key