• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Starter wind disc

texhop58

Eagle Member
I searched the forum and the most recent post was 18 months ago. Which since then there has only been like 100 new disc put out. So I figured it was ok to bring back up.
SIMPLE question. What would you suggest to a new player who will have to deal with high winds majority of the time. I know everyone says start with a leopard when new, but even I have had issues with leopards at the course

I recently help put a course in my old hometown. The good thing is a lot of new players have come out and tried to sport. The bad thing. The course is for the most part extremely windy. Enough so that the 12 hole course has upwards to 11 stroke swings difference with some of the really good players. When i hosted a birdie bash at the course we had winds that stayed 25-30 mph. The course also sits below a dam of a lake so there is kind of a wind tunnel in some areas. The wind was so bad last time I played I really thought I was going to secure the ugliest ace ever. I was so focused on keeping it low that i grounded the disc fifty feet infront of me. It then rolled 150 feet hit the ledge of our raised island and popped up in the air 5 feet and almost got blown onto the island. (Gordon lake Dgc #8). I know there is a lot of extra there, but really it's not like most windy areas

A new player isn't going to have much power. I would say a DX Teebird would probably fit the bill nicely. DX or Pro leopard and a Comet for everything else. That's what I would do anyway.

For a newer player I would recommend a heavy champ leo, champ Teebird or lightweight FL.

I used an orc when starting out. Feels nearly the same as a teebird in your hand but seems to have a little more hyzer for the weaker throwers.

C-PD if they are heavy winds...if not then an Eagle X

Eagle X, Teebird or Banshee. All are slower discs so they're still pretty controllable for newer players, but have enough stability to handle a good deal of wind.

I recommend a DX Viper or Millenium Sentinel, especially for shorter shots. Maybe a champ Teebird. I love PD's but they may be too stable in C plastic.

Champ Eagle X or Champ Banshee for stronger winds than your teebird can handle

I'd say one of the best options for new players would be a champ eagle X but if the headwinds are so nasty that you want more then learn to love something like a banshee.

Champ Banshee is a great recommendation! Of the wind fighters, it's s arguably the easiest to throw. Add something like a Suspect and a Sinus which would also fight a headwind and round out your range options.

Banshee in Champion. DX beats in so fast that a 2 month old DX Banshee is more like a fresh Gazelle, which in turn beats into a Diamond lite. Not that I'm complaining.

The Ascent from Vibram would be another good choice. I've hit all kinds of obstacles with mine since the Birdie Bash in March, and it still has the same flight as the day I got it.

Latest posts