• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie disc weight question!

I still can't throw mids worth a damn - they go left, right, crash into the ground or up into the sky.

Definitely might be a clue about your mechanics. Generally mids are pretty forgiving. The damn Mako almost defies my tendency to throw it badly, and throwing wild angles with a Roc is even more fun than my rare 300' drives with the fast discs. Now that I'm finally throwing the Wolf with some consistency I've got about all the lines covered.

One thought might be the amount of spin that you're generating. You mentioned not liking the River very much, and I find it to have a lot of the characteristics of a mid, but I definitely have to make sure that I generate enough torque to get it on a good line. I'll leave the rest of the diagnosis to those with more knowledge than me.

Well, turns out the Valkyrie I added to my bag is 167g - not "heavy weight". Anyways, I bought it used, and months ago it dumped a bit left on me. Then it went kind of straight, about 200'. Well, now it turns right, and just keeps turning the entire flight! I did not expect that at all! But, I got an amazing birdie out of it today! Hole 9 is a dog leg right, with woods on the right, and lots of scattered trees on the fairway. Well, I threw it straight enough to get between two tight trees maybe 50' off the tee, was turning right, more as it went. Just made it past the dog leg, and was really turning when it went out of sight. After the dog leg, more scattered trees on the fairway (unless you get far out past them), and it must have went right through the middle of them, because it landed 15' from the basket! I will probably pull out my other Valkyrie, I think heavier than this one, and see what it does. Also, can't wait to hit the practice field and see if any of my heavy weight, dump left discs will work for me now! My light weight distance drivers - definitely getting more turn and less fade out of them - probably going to have to go a little heavier on some, and maybe also use less of them if some of my heavier 9-11 speed discs start working better for me. Time will tell. I found a 146g Destroyer today - no name or number on it - threw it a few times - it also turns right almost the entire flight!

I'll give that a try. My daughter and son-in-law were big Ultimate players, so I'm sure they have a good selection lying around. They are way more into DG nowadays. Would a Glitch serve the same purpose? I've used one a lot to work on my forehand short game. And it definitely punishes my overpowered backhand.
No.

But glitch is good to take those concepts and warm up with though.
If you struggle throwing a glitch, throwing an ultimate will help you throw a glitch.

My video on throwing ultimates is godawful, but...
I might have been drinking, I don't know.

And that one ultimate I have. omfg that thing is unthrowable, You'll see me shank it both times in the video. I need to burn that thing.

Good lord that thumbnail is terrible....

Definitely might be a clue about your mechanics. Generally mids are pretty forgiving. The damn Mako almost defies my tendency to throw it badly, and throwing wild angles with a Roc is even more fun than my rare 300' drives with the fast discs. Now that I'm finally throwing the Wolf with some consistency I've got about all the lines covered.

One thought might be the amount of spin that you're generating. You mentioned not liking the River very much, and I find it to have a lot of the characteristics of a mid, but I definitely have to make sure that I generate enough torque to get it on a good line. I'll leave the rest of the diagnosis to those with more knowledge than me.

I'm to a "not providing further details till I can see the actual swing video" spot on this now.

But the conversation overall I think has been positive.

I'll give that a try. My daughter and son-in-law were big Ultimate players, so I'm sure they have a good selection lying around. They are way more into DG nowadays. Would a Glitch serve the same purpose? I've used one a lot to work on my forehand short game. And it definitely punishes my overpowered backhand.
Meh throw everything haha. If a glitch is working to smooth out your fh game then you have an idea what it does. A few people have asked a few times if its good for form diagnosis, I think the concensus is "kind of". It definitely helps you track your release point and angle..... but it's forgiving with a little hyzer or nose up to get a straight push and a little nose down and flat gets you some turn (so it's trying to get a little nose up hyzer out of you)

I'd say it's more fun than an ultimate or a lid and IT FITS IN YOUR BAG... haha, if you have it you will throw it, as much as I like the occasional whitler round I have to plan ahead to make bag space.

The best disc for formwork is still a comet.

Ha! I threw the Comet a few times and hated it, so I can absolutely see what you're getting at. My form was total trash at that point. I'll try to borrow it back and see how it works four months later.

Ha! I threw the Comet a few times and hated it, so I can absolutely see what you're getting at. My form was total trash at that point. I'll try to borrow it back and see how it works four months later.
If I told you I loved the Comet on the first throw/week I'd be a dirty liar. I just put my faith in the DGCR advice and kept at it.

Best thing about the Comet besides the glide, is the long slow flight. I can throw it, grab my bag, crack a beer and still watch it land. It will take all the power you can give it, flies on a frozen rope to 300ft (or beyond assumably)

If I told you I loved the Comet on the first throw/week I'd be a dirty liar. I just put my faith in the DGCR advice and kept at it.

Best thing about the Comet besides the glide, is the long slow flight. I can throw it, grab my bag, crack a beer and still watch it land. It will take all the power you can give it, flies on a frozen rope to 300ft (or beyond assumably)
Only if it weighs less than 154g. :unsure:.....................:p

Meh throw everything haha. If a glitch is working to smooth out your fh game then you have an idea what it does. A few people have asked a few times if its good for form diagnosis, I think the concensus is "kind of". It definitely helps you track your release point and angle..... but it's forgiving with a little hyzer or nose up to get a straight push and a little nose down and flat gets you some turn (so it's trying to get a little nose up hyzer out of you)

I'd say it's more fun than an ultimate or a lid and IT FITS IN YOUR BAG... haha, if you have it you will throw it, as much as I like the occasional whitler round I have to plan ahead to make bag space.

I only have one Glitch, its one of the DFX Sloth stamped ones...

I don't relate to people saying its a super weird or niche disc. Its like...exactly what it was marketed as. A giga-gliding lightweight stable putter. Mine holds a line like a Mako3 and is just insanely fun to toss.

Ugh, I should buy a comet but I swear this is the only disc I ever touched in a store and just said "Newp".

Sometimes it's just how discs fit into your unique hands really. I really don't like domey mid ranges, just doesn't agree with the shape of my hand, I prefer flat mids like the Buzzz and Zone so I never got along well with a Comet. A high speed driver can be domey all day, I even prefer them at times depending on the shot.

Any of you peeps played around with a lighter putter? You might be surprised at what you find, not just for putting but throwing and long C2 putts as well.

A 170g Z Comet got me my only ace btw, though I changed bags so many times I can't remember why I ever switched that and the 177+ one out...

But yeah, glides forever with no power.

Any of you peeps played around with a lighter putter? You might be surprised at what you find, not just for putting but throwing and long C2 putts as well.
Yes! I carry a 150g Sirius Omega. It gets used for drives, throw ins, long approaches, and most outside the circle putts. It's my favorite disc to throw by far. I couldn't count the number of 80'-200' makes I've had with one over the last 4 years or so. I just think "throw it in" and it gets pretty close most of the time.

Maybe it's a bad form thing, as I am still a relative newbie, but I hate light weight putters. They just seem too floaty and have a mind of their own. The heavy putters go where I throw them much better.

Maybe it's a bad form thing, as I am still a relative newbie, but I hate light weight putters. They just seem too floaty and have a mind of their own. The heavy putters go where I throw them much better.

Depends on how light. A 150g putter for me was too light to putt inside C1, but they make great throwers. I do notice there is a compromise though in that I make the most putts with a putter in that 165 - 170 range. Still heavy enough for control but noticeably more glide, pop and distance.

I noticed that once I got under 165 they would start to get a little temperamental in the wind but for C2 putts might be worth it. A second thing I noticed is that I noticed is that they tend to bounce out of the chains slightly more. Again, for C2 putts might be worth it for added distance.

Just wanted to thank you for that suggestion. I retrieved my loaned out Comet and found that I was throwing it really well. I picked up two more factory seconds and spent a half hour today doing fieldwork. It's amazing how well it rewards a good line and release. It really holds beautiful straight, hyzer, and anhyzer lines. I'm going to throw the Comets and Mako3s side by side to see which of them goes in my bag. What really surprised me was the effortless distance I was getting.

When I started playing in 2018 I was throwing whatever people gave me. By 2019 I learned enough about the game and I settled on 6-speed drivers as the fastest discs I would throw. Initially I was using a 147 g DX Leopard, but that quickly started flipping and drifting too much, so I went with a 147 g Pro Leopard, which straightened up for me. But eventually even that flipped up too easily, as I was starting to increase my ability to throw farther. Eventually my entire driver loadout was essentially Star Leopard, Star Cheetah, Champ Gazelle and DX Whippet - all at max weight. But I was throwing in the low-to-mid 200s at that point, and started being aware of my many form issues.

As I started working on my form and improving the distance I could throw, I finally started introducing 7-8 speeds into my loadout. FD, TL, TeeBird, Banshee came in as the Cheetah, Gazelle and Whippet left the bag. But these faster discs I was able to throw farther than the 6 speeds, so they basically earned their way into my loadout. But up until 2021 I was using a lunchbox style bag that carried 10 discs total. Eventually I moved up to different small backpacks that allowed me to carry 16-17 discs, but even then I would have like a putting putter, 5 throwing putters, 5 mids, and 5 fairways.

Now I throw over 300' and I've added the occasional 9 and 11 speed to my loadout, and I carry about 24 discs at any one time in my cart. But I had no interest in throwing distance drivers because they wouldn't go much farther than my fairways, their flight paths were more exaggerated, and the only way I could really throw 11 speeds would be if they were something like a Mamba, Maya, or Mystere. Because otherwise they just won't go significantly farther than the 7 speeds. But these were only added because what was needed to get them to go farther was they had to be lower in the air. You have more leeway to throw higher with a Leopard than you do with a Shryke, for example. So if I had a shot that was low the whole way, that's when I'd bring the 11 speed out. Or if I needed more skip. Or if a few extra feet of distance in the air was absolutely needed. But there is definitely a law of diminishing returns on faster discs in the hands of slower players.

I personally couldn't justify throwing lighter weight discs unless they were 10 speed or higher. Not because I'm a snob, elitist, or whatever. But I like the consistency of throwing 170-175g discs, and I'll take the added reliability in wind over the lighter discs. Also the more form problems you have, the less reliable the lighter weight discs are, compared to heavier ones. So for me, with bad form, everything just worked better at heavier discs. I've never discounted the use of lighter weight discs for others, and I've used lighter weight distance drivers for select shots. But it's just not how I want to play this game.

I'll still mostly throw the 7 speed drivers 90% or more of the time off the tee, with the few 9 and 11 speeds coming out for select shots only. The primary reason is control, the secondary reason is consistency. Right now, I still don't throw any 12 speeds or faster discs. My loadout is primarily 3/5/7 speed discs with a few outliers in the 9 and 11 speed range.

Just wanted to thank you for that suggestion. I retrieved my loaned out Comet and found that I was throwing it really well. I picked up two more factory seconds and spent a half hour today doing fieldwork. It's amazing how well it rewards a good line and release. It really holds beautiful straight, hyzer, and anhyzer lines. I'm going to throw the Comets and Mako3s side by side to see which of them goes in my bag. What really surprised me was the effortless distance I was getting.
Awesome man.

Yeah there is nothing like it. A good comet is truly neutral... A couple comet rounds every now and then keeps my form honest. Even on low power they cruise with good angle and snap, so slow you think it's gotta putter out but it just keeps going. Funnily enough after that discussion I also moved a comet out of the basement.

Pulled out my treasured 172g SE ESP (2nd run) which means gummy and kinda flippy in premium plastic. Ran it against my 4 year old esp. Man they don't make em like they used to, haha and my bodies pretty battered right now so my beefy Comets are shelved. I think I'll pull out the '21? Metallic z MJ next and see where it's at , hmmm or the glow z 173 (a decade + old), I think they are in my wheelhouse and I need to straighten out my new Protected Form.

They are all lighter (or lower shoulders flatter top) so slightly easier to throw, but I don't really feel like climbing on that horse tonight after Nick's fine dissertation with a solid conclusion... I'd rather find an idiot to argue with.

Last edited:

Latest posts