• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Windsor, Ontario

esdubya

Double Eagle Member
I've been spending a lit of time lately in Windsor, Ontario, just across the border from Detroit as my girlfriend lives there. I noticed there is not a single course in the area, while SE Michigan has a plethora to say the least.

The parks department of Windsor informed me that there is no demand for a course there. I would like to change that.

If you are a disc golfer and live in or near Windsor I want to hear from you. Let's join forces and get a course installed. Malden Park is my #1 choice as it has plenty of space and features the largest hill in Essex County. It is visible from the Ambassador Bridge so Detroiters would also be close enough to enjoy the course.

Please, if you know anyone in the Windsor area who would be interested in a course then please contact me via this website. The City of Windsor needs disc golf, they just don't know it yet. :D

I stopped going to Canada when they banned smoking. But I did enjoy RPT and Studio 11 back in the day.

I travel through Windsor every year and I agree, they need a disc golf course. There's nothing in Southern Ontario until you get to St. Thomas. But they don't just need any course in Windsor... they need a big, tough, championship quality course. There are lots of courses in the Detroit area, but you have to go all the way to Ann Arbor to find a course rated 4 or better. So a high quality course in Windsor it would be a huge draw from all over the area if there was an incredible course in the area, especially come tournament time.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
From the Canadian Disc Golf thread:
I come from a disc golf mecca in Ann Arbor, MI. I'm marrying a Canadian and moving to Windsor, ON in less than a year. :thmbup:
Congratulations!
There is no disc golf in Windsor. :thmbdown:
There is no disc golf in Windsor yet...

I believe I have started talking to the correct people on getting ideas, support, and design ideas:

So far, I have received two price quotes, a letter of intent for support from PDGA, and a suggestion to write a Trillium grant application to pay for most of the capital costs to install a course...

What is missing is at least three other Windsor-based or Windsor-interested disc golfers to form a non-profit club as part of ODSA... Is there anyone else out there that could help get a course in the ground in Windsor?

WSK

P.S. Suggestions for potential disc golf sites in Windsor are welcome... :D (Malden Park, anyone?)

Last edited:
I'd definitely be interested in playing one, I drive back and forth between chicago and toronto several times per year. Good luck!

So, what the word on getting a course in Windsor, Ontario?

Mr. WindsorSwingKid and I are talking.. ;) Hope to be able to post some updates here soon.

If you live in Essex County (or Detroit for that matter) and are interested in joining the cause please PM me or WindsorSwingKid.

Cheers

Met with the town of Tecumseh today, and things went REALLY well. Just need a few things to go our way, but at least we have some allies in high places. Please PM me if you want to get involved! Cheers!

Saturday, April 6, 2013
10:00am

Lakewood Golf Course, Tecumseh, ON (Corner of Manning and Riverside)

Hey everyone. I've been spending a good amount of time out at Lakewood, looking at the property. I was thinking we could meetup with a portable basket and throw a few made up holes. This is a chance to get out and see the property, and get stoked about it.. ;) I've got 18 holes in mind here, so plan for about two hours. Thanks, Scott

Shoot me a PM on here on respond to the Facebook event if you can make it!

https://www.facebook.com/events/233478886796664/

Windsorite interested in helping the cause!!

Hello all!

I'm a Windsor native who moved out West and took up disc golf and love it. The support in Western Canada is much better than Southern Ontario. I have a group of ultimate frisbee players that I know well in the Windsor/Amherstburg area that would be supportive of the cause. Having a disc company distribute golf discs to a local store would really kick things off in the south.

I agree that Malden park would be a great place for a course with a second one possibly located along Lake St. Clair at the old close Lakewood golf course. Let me know what I can do to help so I can one day come home to Windsor and play frisbee golf!

Cheers,

James

Hey James,

If you can help spread the word that would be great. If you check out the fb page, the link is in the post previous to yours, that has a lot of info on what we have going on.

We currently have a league going on Tuesdays at Lakewood Park in Tecumseh, it is a temporary layout, set up as an object course. Hopeful to get a permanent course at that location in the future. We also have a tournament set up for September 20th at Lakewood Park, we plan to have temporary baskets for the tournament.

If you can get the news out to your friends and direct them to our FB page that would be a great help. The more interest we can display to the Town of Tecumseh the better.

Peace,
Ian

That may be one of the better mainstream articles on disc golf I've read yet! Nice write-up. :thmbup:

Now I wish I had Sept 20th free. And a passport. :eek: But we'll be getting the latter, since my daughter is moving to Canada! Hope to see the course in permanently. It'll make a great stop on our trips to see her.

Congrats on getting it started in your area!

Thanks.

It's so hard for me to describe the sport to the perspective of a person who has never heard of it. ...and I cringe anytime I hear myself talk. But hopefully it gets the point across. :hfive:

Nice work Scott! Got the flyer you gave me for the Tecumseh Open... will definitely try to make it!

Man, I was freaking out just now. I had some free time, a few weeks ago, in Windsor and I swore I had checked if there was a disc golf course there. Come to find out that the course is not yet permanent. lol Anyway, hope you guys have a good turn out. GL