• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter Disc Golfin'

Spectre742

After losing a few nice discs in the snow, I came up with a good fix. I'm sure I'm not the 1st to do it. I added a really light waterproof tail to the disc...It works like a champ and does not seem to affect flight:thmbup:

Attachments

• disctail.jpg
    disctail.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 144
Is that like taping ribbon to the disc? I tried it once and it did affect the flight.

I thought about playing winter golf with my glow lights on the disc. That way if I lost one I could just come back after dark and get it. Most of the time I just pay close attention where it lands and I find it easily. I also don't throw my favorite discs in the snow.

There are many threads on this subject already that list some good ideas. I personally use the ribbons taped to the center of the bottom plate. Another one I've seen is to take the singing part out of musical cards and attach those to the disc. Just listen for your disc in the snow

I use ribbons when snow is deeper than 3 inches. Most o the winter in MN

I use a thin gift wrapping ribbon with duct tape. I try to keep the ribbon to less than three feet long to reduce impact on flight characteristics AND so that the ribbon doesn't get caught in your coat during the throw.

I have thrown two of the same disc types with a ribbon and without. The ribbon increases the drag so you lose about 10% of the distance. The ribbon will also de-spin the disc faster changing the line. Not as noticible as the drag, but i did notice it.

One thing that is nice about the ribbon. If you throw with OAT the ribbon tends to make louder noise than a nice clean throw. Kind of an audible indicator on my form......

There are many threads on this subject already that list some good ideas. I personally use the ribbons taped to the center of the bottom plate. Another one I've seen is to take the singing part out of musical cards and attach those to the disc. Just listen for your disc in the snow

Really? How much does that weigh? Does it play continuously? How long does it last? It would be kind of fun to throw a disc playing jingle bells during a Holiday Snow.....

Just watch your disc. I used the ribbons for about three holes before I ripped them off. Hated them. I play twice a week year 'round, and have never lost a disc in the snow. When I lived in Upstate NY, we played in hip deep snow regularly.

Learn to recognize the marks a disc leaves when it breaks the snow. After awhile you'll get to be very good at it, just as a hunter gets better at tracking his prey.

Also use landmarks every time. If there's not anything near your disc, use a tree on the horizon, and walk straight towards it. Watch your step as you're stirring up the snow, and look for "the gash", not the disc.

If you really want to use ribbon, wrapping paper ribbon is light, waterproof and brightly colored. The thinner the better. Someone else suggested using cassete tape ribbon, as it's even lighter.

I pick an older disc that is a good all-around flyer and I drill a really small hole in the center. I run the ribbon thru and make a knot. This becomes my main snow disc. I then sprayed the disc and the tail with water proofing. I only use this disc on the holes with deep snow...otherwise if it is packed out, I will use another. In winter I will only carry the ribbon disc, a second driver, putter and mid...to keep it simple. So far so good and my scores have stayed consistent. If u are a tourney player it probably would not be allowed...

I'de say just use brightly colored discs, i.e. pink/yellow, and try to play a course that's wooded, the snow tends to stay a little thinner in the woods b/c the trees stop big snow drifts from forming - but I haven't had to worry about losing a disc in the snow yet b/c for some odd reason, albeit a great one, there is NO snow in upstate NY yet.

Just watch your disc. I used the ribbons for about three holes before I ripped them off. Hated them. I play twice a week year 'round, and have never lost a disc in the snow. When I lived in Upstate NY, we played in hip deep snow regularly.

Learn to recognize the marks a disc leaves when it breaks the snow. After awhile you'll get to be very good at it, just as a hunter gets better at tracking his prey.

Also use landmarks every time. If there's not anything near your disc, use a tree on the horizon, and walk straight towards it. Watch your step as you're stirring up the snow, and look for "the gash", not the disc.

If you really want to use ribbon, wrapping paper ribbon is light, waterproof and brightly colored. The thinner the better. Someone else suggested using cassete tape ribbon, as it's even lighter.

:thmbup:

This will be my 4th season of playing in the snow. I've never tried ribbons. But I've never needed to. I've only lost 1 disc. I've lost more to creeks and ponds in 1 summer than I have in 4 winters. Just listen to the Chief, he's got all you need to know.

this is a great idea.

I just watch where my disc goes. :shrugsmiley:

:thmbup:

This will be my 4th season of playing in the snow. I've never tried ribbons. But I've never needed to. I've only lost 1 disc. I've lost more to creeks and ponds in 1 summer than I have in 4 winters. Just listen to the Chief, he's got all you need to know.

I played my first few winters witout ribbons and never lost a disc in the snow, but I did spend more time searching for the disc than I wanted to. I will use the ribbon discs if I am playing at lunch and have limited time (or really deep snow). If I have time I use discs without ribbons.

Using ribbons may cost you some distance and maybe a couple strokes, but they will save you some time and maybe a disc or two.

I've played two winters (going on a third). I play a *lot* of snow rounds, sometimes in several feet of snow (lake-effect off of Lake Michigan can get extremely bad). I've lost a total of 1 disc, and that was just kinda flukey.

I've played a total of 1 round with someone who used ribbons. They ended up losing a disc with a ribbon on it.

So, it's more just watching where it goes than relying on your ribbon tech. :p

Plus, ribbons are a major hassle and the discs don't fly as well.

Go figure...I just got back from my lunch break round and I decided not to use the ribbon disc and lost a good Valkyrie in 4 inches of snow/over 330 ft+ drive/ big open area. Looked for about a 1/2 hour and gave up. Luckily I found it completely buried on the way back to the car when I finished. Needless to say, I'll be using the ribbon disc until we see more meltage....

Open areas are the worst because there's no point of reference. Most of my rounds are in the woods.

It probably makes a big difference.

The best advice is not to be in a rush when you play. More often than not you are going to spend some time looking for your disc. If you have to immediately leave for work or whatnot after your round, chances are you are going to have to leave the lost one behind.

I have had to give up on three or four in the last four years because of this.

Otherwise:

Spotters

Play familiar courses

Use stable discs, understable may find those blind spots on a course and overstable are going to knife into the snow. Stable should land flatter on the snow, not going as deep, and creating more of a disturbance.

Do not throw anything you have purchased in the last hour, it is almost a certainty that you are going to lose it.

good tips! Using a stable disc helps and nose it up a bit. I just need to tame down the patriot missile line drive...it's tough keeping them under 400 feet. lol

Go figure...I just got back from my lunch break round and I decided not to use the ribbon disc and lost a good Valkyrie in 4 inches of snow/over 330 ft+ drive/ big open area. Looked for about a 1/2 hour and gave up. Luckily I found it completely buried on the way back to the car when I finished. Needless to say, I'll be using the ribbon disc until we see more meltage....

What course were you on? I hit Red Rocks, Interlocken, and Clark Centennial yesterday.

Hi Chiefstang. I play Westminster daily at lunch because it is like 2 minutes from work. It's the only course I am using the ribbon discs on because it is soooo wide open. Those holes are really wide and long with sligh elevation gains (really easy to lose a disc). I love Red Rocks. That's my regular Saturday AM course. We'll have to get out sometime!

Latest posts