• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Wizard/magic gateway craze

Lol... I thought that OG stood for Original Gangsta Wizard... For real :doh: Organic makes more sense.

do you use RFF putters?

Welcome aboard. Buy some RFF Wizards and fall in love again. :D

i just ordered a RFF warlock

(I also have evo? glow voodoo for night play)
(and use sss magics for inside the circle)

my questions are:
1) how many people here use/carry RFF?
2)what do you use the RFF for?
(driving off the tee, all up shots, specialty side hill upshots, putting inside the circle)

question for you guys since I haven't 'thrown' these yet (just putting) ... is there a big difference in stability between the different flexes and plastics? i'm talking about driving stability, not putting.

Pretty much every Wizard flies like a Wizard. For Gateway to be slammed for being "inconsistent", the Wizard is one of the most consistent flyers I've ever thrown.

is this OG or just soft? feels liek a firmer OG wizard.

Nikon00002207.jpg

Looks soft to me. :thmbup: Never seen an OG one that color or with that regular stamp. I suppose they exist though I'm not a gateway guru. Just love my wizards.

Pretty much every Wizard flies like a Wizard. For Gateway to be slammed for being "inconsistent", the Wizard is one of the most consistent flyers I've ever thrown.

OK, I'm assuming Wizards are going to be pretty stable, so for an out of the box understable flier I'd need to look at Magics then (?) ... or beat up a wizard, correct?

OK, I'm assuming Wizards are going to be pretty stable, so for an out of the box understable flier I'd need to look at Magics then (?) ... or beat up a wizard, correct?

Pretty much, yes. I never really liked the Magic's rim (not to say it's a bad mold by any means, just not for me), but I also never had much trouble beating up a baseline Wizard with all the trees I seem to like to hit. You could also bypass that and look for one in the marketplace while you're working in a new one. I don't have one lying around because I've been using Pures lately in that role, otherwise I'd pass it on.

Pretty much, yes. I never really liked the Magic's rim (not to say it's a bad mold by any means, just not for me), but I also never had much trouble beating up a baseline Wizard with all the trees I seem to like to hit. You could also bypass that and look for one in the marketplace while you're working in a new one. I don't have one lying around because I've been using Pures lately in that role, otherwise I'd pass it on.

yeah i'm not a beadless fan, so i don't know about Magics ... i have been eyeing the Pure though ... thanks for the tip.

There are 2 discs in this world that I will buy at any moment and hoard, any Wizard and any Buzzz.
I could play disc golf the rest of my life with these 2 discs. Most course also, at least the majority of holes...

The Pure has a micro-micro-bead (yes, two micros) so if you prefer beads you might try the Judge instead. I haven't thrown one (own one but haven't had time to give it a toss) yet, but all reports point to it being neutral like a Pure. They're really shallow, have a Wizard-sized bead, and feel great, but they're all Soft Magnet soft for now which is a big negative for me.

I guess neither the Pure, nor the Judge will really satisfy your understable needs either though. The Pure flies lines really well though so it'll hold an anhyzer if you need it to do that. I haven't beaten my Opto in enough for it to develop any turn yet, but it isn't for a lack of trying. Honestly, I always kind of thought of the Magic as more neutral than understable too though...

There are 2 discs in this world that I will buy at any moment and hoard, any Wizard and any Buzzz.
I could play disc golf the rest of my life with these 2 discs. Most course also, at least the majority of holes...

I'm with you on the Wizard. I finally had to stop at around 100. It just became too much of an obsession. As I start clearing out some of my other discs I'll try to gather the collection together for a family portrait.

Last edited:
I originally bought my first Magic years ago because I liked the organic concept. I fell in love with it and eventually tried a Voodoo because I liked the feel and fell in love with it as well. If I wasn't throwing Vibrams because of their grip and durability now, I'd still be throwing Gateway putters.

I've thrown them a little. I'm not against them, I just have never needed to throw an overstable putter much.

Wizards are much closer to Ridges than they are VPs...

I'm not hating. I know some people who throw Vibram discs really well. I personally never really gave them much of a chance beyond the VP and Ridge. I liked them well enough, but I just went the other way.

i gave the vibrams a shot a few years ago and did like the grip and durability, but the ridge seemed like it didn't have nearly as much glide as a wizard. maybe that was because i was comparing a fresh ridge to a perfectly seasoned wiz, but i'd hate to think how long it'd take to get a ridge worn in that much. i did like the summit a lot though, for whatever reason if i'm throwing something with some anhyzer for a turnover shot i like a more shallow rim.

Elnino, is there any marking on the underside? Should say OG Wiz if its organic. Most organic Wizards say just that in the stamp though, or have the organic/recycle symbol.

i think some of these are the rare eco organics and have big stamps they are marked both ways. marked soft but so are my other eco organics.

i've had lots but this one is def flat and firm. but still nice rubber feel to it...i just hate black plastic.

i just ordered a RFF warlock

(I also have evo? glow voodoo for night play)
(and use sss magics for inside the circle)

my questions are:
1) how many people here use/carry RFF?
2)what do you use the RFF for?
(driving off the tee, all up shots, specialty side hill upshots, putting inside the circle)

I use my RFF Wizards for any approach shots, especially if I want to hit and stick the landing, and occasionally for putting if the wind really picks up and I'm not comfortable with my usual Magics for inside the circle. For driving I use my G9i Wizard which is firm as hell but still nice and tacky. I took it out of my bag because of snow in Ohio, but it will return once the snow leaves. I carry an orange chalky Wizard and an Eraser Wizard for approaches and wooded holes. Every Wizard owner should have at least one RFF, Chalky, and Eraser, or you're really missing out.

I bought a couple of gold mine mystery Wizard packs from disc outfitters because I've been wanting to try them and I figured that if I didn't like them I would be able to trade. Played a couple rounds and so far I REALLY like the chalky black (with Greatful Dead skull and Dancing Bears logo) one I got for putting, and the G9I tan one for driving. G9I has decent grip, but is absolutely the stiffest disc I have EVER felt. I'm literally afraid to bend it, for fear of snapping it. Question: is this normal for G9I plastic, or did I get a fluke super stiff run?

I bought a couple of gold mine mystery Wizard packs from disc outfitters because I've been wanting to try them and I figured that if I didn't like them I would be able to trade. Played a couple rounds and so far I REALLY like the chalky black (with Greatful Dead skull and Dancing Bears logo) one I got for putting, and the G9I tan one for driving. G9I has decent grip, but is absolutely the stiffest disc I have EVER felt. I'm literally afraid to bend it, for fear of snapping it. Question: is this normal for G9I plastic, or did I get a fluke super stiff run?

No fluke there, G9i are stiffer than a newly released inmate walking into a whore house. :D

just switched form 12x KC pro's. and i have fallen in love them. love how you get the stiffness you want in any mold. SSS is what i am throwing. would love to try a Chalky one.

Latest posts