• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Wizard/magic gateway craze

RFF's are weird. I have gotten 5-10 RFF Wizards in the past year and a few were out of the box stiff like an SS Wiz, but a few could be taco'd straight out of the box. Even with the inconsistencies Wizards are the best putters on EARTH!!!!!

i had a pink s wizard that was 172,, so i got a blue s today and it is no where near the flexibility as the other soft... Maybe because the other one was used more?

so you are saying it might get softer/more flexible when it gets a little beat up?
All discs do.

In the case of Gateway, the classification (S, SS, SSS, RFF) refers not to the flexibility of the disc like every other manufacturer but the material mixtures used to make it. That's why a Wizard marked S can be "medium" firm or "SSS" soft. The true nature of the disc doesn't truly show itself until it's been used a little. My OG SSS started out quite firm with a chalk-esque grip. It's now very rubbery and grippy more like a tire. My G9i started really firm with a slight tack. It's still almost as firm after quite a bit of use with a little more tack.

People shouldn't really be talking about Gateway's putters' feel unless they've actually spent a decent amount of time with them to see how they season. Nothing personal, it just seems like everyone switches putters at the drop of a hat before they even get good.

i have 8 sss magics and they are getting softer as they age
but i thought the RFF were more like a rubber putter (floppy)

Like a lot of things with Wizards/Gateway there is variation, for the most part I think this is good because there is a Wizard for everyone. I threw Wizards from 2005 until this past October and some break in and begin to feel softer and some never change. Wizards last forever so when you find a Wizard you like buy a few of them.

There is a 174 prototype ER Wizard floating around southern Ohio that I lost a couple months ago, I hope someone is treating it well. :(

The wizards just feel right. They make them in a g9i plastic now which is super firm and I love it, but still tacky on the surface.

When I started I was using an Aero, then an aviar. Then one day I found a grey organic magic sitting on the grass near a basket...kinda blended in with the grass. I started using it and just kept making putt after putt. Ever since then I won't putt with anything but gateway. The wizards are nice and flat on the top, can handle some torque but aren't ridiculously overstable, and the plastic is a really nice quality. For me it really just had more to do with how many putts I was making in and how much better they perform overall. Very reliable for short drives too. I picked up a bunch of really cool g9i wizards at the Clearwater shop while on vacation in Tampa. They have a lot of Gateway stuff down there...well they have a lot of everything down there. :p

The wizards just feel right. They make them in a g9i plastic now which is super firm and I love it, but still tacky on the surface.

When I started I was using an Aero, then an aviar. Then one day I found a grey organic magic sitting on the grass near a basket...kinda blended in with the grass. I started using it and just kept making putt after putt. Ever since then I won't putt with anything but gateway. The wizards are nice and flat on the top, can handle some torque but aren't ridiculously overstable, and the plastic is a really nice quality. For me it really just had more to do with how many putts I was making in and how much better they perform overall. Very reliable for short drives too. I picked up a bunch of really cool g9i wizards at the Clearwater shop while on vacation in Tampa. They have a lot of Gateway stuff down there...well they have a lot of everything down there. :p

Better stock up on the G9i's if you like them before the next mold run or stop using them in tourneys.

I'm a recent convert to Magics. Not for putting though. I use a Soft off the tee and an SSS for approaches. They feel a lot more natural and respond better to a little wrist twist turnover action and elevator shots and such (compared to my Opto Pure).