• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Wizards. Putting vs Throwing

samfoy

Bogey Member
So there are a lot of different wizards on the market. Medium, Soft, SS, SSS, RFF, Organic, Chalky, Eraser, Evolution, G9i, etc.

I have thrown wizards before in the past and enjoyed throwing an evo wizard. I found that the 'baseline' plastic wizards beat up really fast. Mediums did better and the Evo managed wear really well.

I've ordered a few G9i's and have access to some Organics and Erasers.

Regardless of what you use to putt with, which wizards do you like to drive with and why?

I used to drive with a G9I but I switched to an Evo wizard for more stability. I also have some new soft organic wizards that I use for putting, and an SS that I use for up shots. So yeah, I have 5 wizards in my bag. Evo and G9I for drives, anything else for putts.

i used to have 3 medium wizards in the bag at all times. one fresh, one worn to straight, and one worn to turnover. loved the clean release of the super stiff plastic, but after the g9i/medium shabackle i switched to softs, but they weren't quite right. they developed thumb indents and bent over time, which i don't like. so now i throw that other putter with the overmold thingy.

I use the evo for driving when i have to throw far or windy or hyzer approach. They dont have a ton of glide (unless u put alot of spin) which is perfect for controlling distance. I also use a medium wizard with a slightly concave top for anhyzer and straight approaches and drives.

I use all discraft products until it comes to putt and approach. Nuthing can kick the wizards out the bag, they seem to have a strange connection with chains.

I carry 4 wiz . 1 evo 1 med 2 soft

Last edited:
I drive and approach with G9i Wizard. They beat up kind of quickly, but they seem to stay in their sweet spot for a long time too. I putt with Magics, but on windy days, I will putt with a soft wizard. They are a tad less firm than the G9i (which are brick hard), and their grip is better as well.

I have a couple of Evo line Wizard, but I have a hard time getting used to the way they fly. They seem to drop very quickly and fly less stable than my G9i wizard (when new).

I usually carry two or three wizards when I play -->*1-2 G9i for driving and approach and 1 medium for putting duty if I feel uncomfortable with my magics for some reason.

QUESTION TO THE OP : Where on earth did you order some G9i ?

Last edited:
Right now, I use a RFF for driving(it takes tree hits very well and sits when it hits the ground) and a SS for putting.

I drive with the erasers.... because they are pretty hard and have a clean release. I putt with a chalky and an organic.

The flattest, gummiest evo wizards I could find is what I drove with when I bagged them.

Various baselines from them gave me nice grip, but could lose stability if I drove them into a tree right off the tee. Putted mint green organics fwiw.

Putt with a pair of stiff glows. Drive and approach with a beat Soft and a fresh SS. I like the extra grip for drives.

So there are a lot of different wizards on the market. Medium, Soft, SS, SSS, RFF, Organic, Chalky, Eraser, Evolution, G9i, etc.

I have thrown wizards before in the past and enjoyed throwing an evo wizard. I found that the 'baseline' plastic wizards beat up really fast. Mediums did better and the Evo managed wear really well.

I've ordered a few G9i's and have access to some Organics and Erasers.

Regardless of what you use to putt with, which wizards do you like to drive with and why?

I don't always carry it, but I have 3 Wizards, E, Medium, and Soft.

The E definitely for drives because it can take the beating. Only problem is, I live near St Louis, so I can go in and go through them until I find a really firm E Wizard, but some of them are floppy, and I believe someone would be disappointed with one of them as a thrower, so when you order you are taking a chance.

I currently carry 3. 1 ss for putting, 1 ss for drives and upshots (trying to beat it into a straighter shot) 1 evo for drives (more stability)

I drive and putt with g9is. I like them stiff because I push putt and I think it makes for a clean consistent release. Upshots approaches and long putts I use a soft, maybe a super soft. I carry 3 g9is and 1black soft, 1 super soft.

For driving I'll use my Evo because I know if I miss my line and nail a tree or whatever, it will maintain its flight characteristics and not be permanently bent like some of the non-evo wizards that sit in my garage. I also use the Evo wizard for all short, anhzyer, and straight approaches.

I putt with a pair of pink SS wizards with the throwback stamps that were ran around October last year, I think.

I love the way base plastic wizards beat in, I usually keep one hpp or g9i wizard in the bag to stay more overstable, a seasoned base plastic, and a beat base plastic, all for driving and approaching. Those are some mix of S, SS, chalky, organic and rff. I putt with SSS that are on the stiffer side but really grippy.

My driving putter is my SS Wiz, mostly because I don't want to knick/scruff/scrape my Anode. The wiz feels kinda off in my hand, but I tend to throw it well so I deal with it and I don't mind how badly I beat it up. It's the only wizard I've thrown and I probably won't buy another because of how it sits in my hand, but I can hit 200 - 250 with my SS and I don't have a big arm so it stays in my bag.

Latest posts