• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

worst putting slump of my life

jrod17320

Bogey Member
I am going through the worst putting slump of my life and its disheartening. I was rated as high as 960 last year and I was putting decently and I would say I made 6 out of 10 from 20 to 30 feet consistently. However I tried to improve that by switching my style about December of last year and it has gone terribly wrong. Now every tourney I play I have to put it inside 8 feet to even make a putt. Originally I had a lob style putt that was pretty accurate but I wanted to improve upon it since I wasn't a great putter and tried another style of putt. Since I changed I cannot hit the broad side of a barn from anywhere outside of 8 feet. I tried going back to my old putt but even that is gone. I made a fool out of myself this weekend and the previous 5 or so tourneys that I played its been the same. Confidence is an issue but my form sucks so bad I have no idea how to even putt anymore. The thing is I practice probably 4 nights a week throwing at least 50 putts each of those nights. Just sucks and I am really having no fun playing disc golf right now and that's never a good thing.

OK, but how can anyone help you with form if we haven't gotten even a description of your putting, let alone video of seeing you do it?

Sounds like you're having some trouble with your mental game.

I recommend two books:
Zen Golf by Joseph Parent (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0385504462/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1396238502&sr=8-1)
Golf is Not a Game of Perfect by Bob Rotella (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/068480364X/ref=pd_aw_sims_2?pi=SL500_SY115)

These books are about ball golf, but the concepts are completely transferable. I'm not sure about the books on putting from the same authors though... We don't "read greens" the way that they do.

I think that you should work on putts in your comfort zone, and build out from there. Not much good will come from forcing yourself to practice only long putts. Once you isolate what is working for you, develop a routine. Practice the way you putt, and putt the way you practice. No rapid fire. Use maybe 2 putters and set yourself up each time. These things have paid off huge for me.

Be patient.