• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Worst Way to Lose a Disc? (or three)

I loaned a newish player a disc in hopes that it would fill the gap in his bag since I had been seeing him at my home course 1-2x a week for a few months straight. No worries, right?

Never saw him again.

Worst way I've lost MANY discs: throwing it in the field, knowing EXACTLY where it landed... walking up and it's not there. It's no-where. You walk back and forth trying to create a scenario where it could somehow have LEFT the area.

Large bird perhaps swooped in? Somebody stole it while you were collecting other discs? Perhaps it edged up and rolled 200' away? Did it skip and land in a truck that was driving by?!

I've lost so many discs this way and it is horrible.

I have a friend that went wading through the Spokane river for a disc he threw in and while he was searching through the water someone stole his bag. Discs, keys, and wallet were stolen. Even the shirt off his back and the shoes from his feet were gone. Spokane's Downriver course is such a dirtbag magnet it's almost funny.

I lost my two most favorite putters back to back on the same hole. The wind was ridiculous that day and just swooped in and carried both discs off into the lake.

Took a newer lady friend to a course to show her how to play(quite badly) on a nice summer day. I wanted to use the X step on this hole because I had just been developing it, but not enough obviously. Pull out a fresh new disc that was never thrown before and open up too much. Pitch it over some trees straight into a lake. At least the disc didn't have any sentimental value.. and the girl.. she is still around. :hfive:

Sorry, but I read that as "At least the disc didn't have any sentimal value..nor did the girl..she is still around there." :eek: Was going to say she's a keeper if she's still looking in a lake for the disc. :D

I have a friend that went wading through the Spokane river for a disc he threw in and while he was searching through the water someone stole his bag. Discs, keys, and wallet were stolen. Even the shirt off his back and the shoes from his feet were gone. Spokane's Downriver course is such a dirtbag magnet it's almost funny.

This right here is exactly why I won't go looking for a disc without someone else present. I'll bribe a friend with a beer if he'll sit tightt and watch my fat self swim for my disc while watching my bag. Too many questionable people out there.

While warming up for my first tournament I lost my best turn-over driver in the leaves when the player's meeting horn went off.

Yeah this ^

Oh man it sucks to be thrashing around frantically looking for that key driver with two minutes before tee off, knowing you still have to walk several holes to get to your assigned tee. Get all out of breath running to get to the tee before penalty kicks in, and then have to play the whole round without that key driver. Ugh. You'd think I'd learn my lesson, but I always want to practice some of the trickier technical holes before the tourney starts...

Another one -- once I threw three practice shots after completing the first round in a tourney, picked up the discs, and didn't put them in the bag, just carried them in my hand. Put the bag and discs separately into the trunk for the lunch break. When 2nd round got underway, I grabbed just the bag, then about three holes in, I realized I didn't have those drivers, and had to play the entire 2nd round without three key understable drivers. At least I found the discs in the trunk later.

been playing a lot of *Wolf this fall/winter and even with groups up to 7 players who all have eyes on each disc we've lost discs that landed out in the open less than 100ft away. Damn leaves.

*wolf is an awesome way to make things interesting. especially when you've got 25cents per point on the line.

Sorry, but I read that as "At least the disc didn't have any sentimal value..nor did the girl..she is still around there." :eek: Was going to say she's a keeper if she's still looking in a lake for the disc. :D

She'd a been hard to keep around if she jumped in that nasty water.. lol

The way I lost my last two bummed me out.

- New Star Valkyrie
I lost this one during the summer out at Timber park. I was on the second to last hole and it's a long straight shot (around 500'). Took my first throw that was about double the distance of everybody in my group. Spent a few minutes looking for their discs and waiting for them to throw. Got up to where my disc should have been and the group playing on a different hole had taken it. I spent 15-20 minutes looking for it before I realized what happened. I took my loss, but that really got my blood boiling.

- Seasoned ESP XL
I lost this one just a couple weeks ago. Hole 2 Par 4 at McCormick Park. I was taking my 2nd shot (just a 50' upshot to make an easy par). My friend and I both had eyes on my disc and thought it was just on the side of the fairway. I guess the course had a different idea. Swallowed that disc right up! It was even bright pink :( This was my go-to driver.

Champion Valkyrie (dyed) lost at Lindsey Park on the red (easy) course. It was getting dark so we decided to play the holes that go toward the parking lot and stop there. It was the LAST hole before the parking lot - I teed off and it looked decent... hit the very top of a tree... and disappeared. Not a huge tree, maybe about 20 feet. Shook it, looked around the base, tried to look up top... couldn't find it. I'm sure someone found it eventually, or the birds made a nice nest out of it. That was the only half round of disc golf I got to play with it. Sucks.

Edit: This thread makes me feel so much better seeing that I'm not the only one who loses or almost loses a disc in an OPEN FIELD.

Some guys at my local course wanted to play for a dollar a stroke, everything to the winner and I talked them into wolf at a quarter a point. They had been drinking, didn't know the rules, and just wanted to start as they would 'figure it out' as we went along. The five of us flipped for the order of who got what tees.

Well, I drove second after a tie on hole one then won lone-wolf on both that drive and the next as well as being on most winning teams in between. I tried to explain how things tend to even out as everyone goes after the winner but they were just sure that I had somehow invented a game where I got an advantage.

They paid out after my second drive and changed it to a dollar a stroke from there. I intentionally gave them their money back, without them really knowing, to improve the mood.

First and last time that I play for money.

been playing a lot of *Wolf this fall/winter and even with groups up to 7 players who all have eyes on each disc we've lost discs that landed out in the open less than 100ft away. Damn leaves.

*wolf is an awesome way to make things interesting. especially when you've got 25cents per point on the line.

How do you play wolf with more than 4 people?

There is a hole at a local course around 250 that I throw a soft anhyzer shot on. The fair way is lined on the right by some shrubs but is open for the most part. A line of bushes blocks the view of the basket. I threw what I thought was a perfect line and got excited I parked the hole. After 30 minutes of searching I enver found it. That was the same week I lost a nice Champ Leopard that I had just traded for.

We were playing a tourney in a multi-use park and during the ground an inmate crew came in and started cleaning up trash. A girl on one of the cards threw her disc on one of the holes and watched one of the inmates walk over, stab her disc right thru the flight plate with one of those stabby-sticks and put her Valkyrie right into a trash bag.

Disc lost, but at the same time... not lost.

We were playing a tourney in a multi-use park and during the ground an inmate crew came in and started cleaning up trash. A girl on one of the cards threw her disc on one of the holes and watched one of the inmates walk over, stab her disc right thru the flight plate with one of those stabby-sticks and put her Valkyrie right into a trash bag.

Disc lost, but at the same time... not lost.

haha This one actually made me laugh out loud at work.

Glad I decided to post my frustrations. Tons of good stories, keep them coming.

Threw favorite turnover disc ( Beat TM2 Vision) into a tree. Disc stuck and won't come down. Too fat and out of shape to climb tree. Disc mocks me. Goodbye, old friend.

Threw favorite turnover disc ( Beat TM2 Vision) into a tree. Disc stuck and won't come down. Too fat and out of shape to climb tree. Disc mocks me. Goodbye, old friend.

I have heard that you should use a hockey puck. Heavy, small, easy to throw and shouldn't get stuck up there as well.

Latest posts