• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Worst Way to Lose a Disc? (or three)

More than once, I've gone out for fieldwork, and after collecting discs, I packed up and drove off. Only after getting home did I check my bag and realize I left a disc out there. Of course it was nowhere to be found upon my return. Now I am super picky about the order/placement of discs in my bag. It's less about finding what I want to throw at any moment, and more of an easy way to check and make sure I have everything when I finish each hole, round, tourney, etc.

Jammer, I always keep my bag organized for the same reason.

yep, same. three of ___, three of _____, three off _____, three of _____, all in order from putters to drivers, starting from least stable to most stable in each class of disc.

yep, same. three of ___, three of _____, three off _____, three of _____, all in order from putters to drivers, starting from least stable to most stable in each class of disc.

Yep. I even put dividers back in my bag. Then I can look and count off, "8 drivers, 8 fairways, 6 mids, 4 putters". Check.

In my opinion, the absolute worst way to lose a (second) disc is doing the exact same thing that got the first one lost. :wall:

I played Wilder DGC (Newport, OR) a few months ago, in light fog and by myself. Big mistake. That course has a large number of blind shots, extremely thick (coastal rainforest) undergrowth everywhere, and huge ravines that the course plays over and along. I lost my first drive on the blind shot hole 8.. and for some reason went back to the tee and tried the shot again... losing the second disc too. :mad: Ultimately, it turned out that the tee sign distance was totally wrong. I had apparently been overthrowing by 60+ ft.. down a ravine.

Yes.. I did throw a third drive, and no, I didn't lose that one. ;) :p

Lost a sweet black-on-black Warlock putting on the below hole. 20-footer blows through the heart of the chains, dings the back side of the basket just enough to stand up and roll the other 20 feet to the river. black disc, murky water and a steep shoreline equals lost plastic.

I also had an ace run smash through the chains and wobble-roll into the river the same way. That one hurt worse, as it was a trusty 8 or 9 year old buzzz, but that's my fault for running a basket backed by water.

7d0d67d7.jpg

In my opinion, the absolute worst way to lose a (second) disc is doing the exact same thing that got the first one lost. :wall:

I played Wilder DGC (Newport, OR) a few months ago, in light fog and by myself. Big mistake. That course has a large number of blind shots, extremely thick (coastal rainforest) undergrowth everywhere, and huge ravines that the course plays over and along. I lost my first drive on the blind shot hole 8.. and for some reason went back to the tee and tried the shot again... losing the second disc too. :mad: Ultimately, it turned out that the tee sign distance was totally wrong. I had apparently been overthrowing by 60+ ft.. down a ravine.

Yes.. I did throw a third drive, and no, I didn't lose that one. ;) :p

I tend to always be playing myself and I have reached a point after countless fights with thorns and thick woods that I just tap out and throw the midrange to where I can see and then play from there. It sucks because I know I can do better than that but I am sick of searching for plastic on my own.

On the plus side I have been working with my pointing bird dog (a vizsla) to spot and retrieve my discs. It is almost a perfect system where he at least keeps me in the honest range of where it went haywire. He does however eat them if he gets too bored. So lost plastic or chewed plastic is the question.

Lost a sweet black-on-black Warlock putting on the below hole. 20-footer blows through the heart of the chains, dings the back side of the basket just enough to stand up and roll the other 20 feet to the river. black disc, murky water and a steep shoreline equals lost plastic.

I also had an ace run smash through the chains and wobble-roll into the river the same way. That one hurt worse, as it was a trusty 8 or 9 year old buzzz, but that's my fault for running a basket backed by water.

7d0d67d7.jpg

that's probably the worst.

i can just imagine someone putting and watching horrified as their disc meanders down toward the bank.

probably one of those moments where "i could have gotten it if i acted immediately but i just couldn't believe what i was seeing".

Last edited:

Oh - so this. I had a *almost* done this a few months back (but I was able to retrieve em), so here's what happens:

Playing at my home course there is a hole along the lake that has a consistent, gentle curve left. It's a par 5, inviting you to bite off as much of the curve as you dare. If you get frisky on the drive you can cut the corner and make it pin high in 2....but the lake is always looming.

Now normally the wind is coming off the lake so it isn't a huge issue. Mind you, I play there 3+ times a week, so I really know this hole. I'm not paying attention to the wind and throw my normal shot. As soon as I release, I realize my error. Instead of L>R wind, its a R>L tailwind. Stables up my disc, pushes it left....and splash 20' out. Good news is that the water is only ~2' deep there...bad news is the lake was quite green that day, so I couldn't find it.

Oh well, no worries. I'll come back tomorrow when the water may be clearer. Fast forward 1 day.

I grab the twin to that disc (it's backup - same mold/color/weight). And....I do the SAME exact thing. :wall::wall:

So I walk up the edge where they went in and the water is clear, thankfully. I just had to crack up laughing. There are both my discs, 20' out. 5' apart. At least I'm consistent in my idiocy.

Off come the shoes....and all is well.

Needless to say, I'm particularly mindful of the wind on that hole now.

More than once, I've gone out for fieldwork, and after collecting discs, I packed up and drove off. Only after getting home did I check my bag and realize I left a disc out there. Of course it was nowhere to be found upon my return. Now I am super picky about the order/placement of discs in my bag. It's less about finding what I want to throw at any moment, and more of an easy way to check and make sure I have everything when I finish each hole, round, tourney, etc.

Another way is to fill your bag snug with discs (if they stack side to side) and if you find that a disc doesn't want to go in, it's probably an extra that you didn't start out with and if there's any wiggle room, you left one behind.

So before you move to the next hole, wiggle side to side and check for 'snugness'.

Worst way I've lost MANY discs: throwing it in the field, knowing EXACTLY where it landed... walking up and it's not there. It's no-where. . .

I've lost so many discs this way and it is horrible.

Disc Blindness - that is what I personally call this phenomenon :wall:

But what I hate most is when I lose track of my discs during field practice. Throw 10 pickup 9, go home and only then realize you forgot one.

Disc Blindness - that is what I personally call this phenomenon :wall:

But what I hate most is when I lose track of my discs during field practice. Throw 10 pickup 9, go home and only then realize you forgot one.

I've got an well loved anode currently hiding in a bush. I know what bush. I watched it go in there. It's a super thick Juniper and I spent about an hour trying to find it.

Went back today, still not there. But I know it's in there.

I know the leaves have eaten a few on my discs this year. My first brinster, my flick, two destroyers... It's so annoying my favorite discs always leave me and not in the water. Usually under leaves. I've taken a trimmer (no blower) and chopped up all kinds of leaves looking for them. And it's like seriously I knew exactly where you landed. And I always swear someone stole them

I know the leaves have eaten a few on my discs this year. My first brinster, my flick, two destroyers... It's so annoying my favorite discs always leave me and not in the water. Usually under leaves. I've taken a trimmer (no blower) and chopped up all kinds of leaves looking for them. And it's like seriously I knew exactly where you landed. And I always swear someone stole them

:D Right there with you. Glow Sidewinder, I was actually videoing some throws and had it on playback, watched it land right in this spot about 20 times in slow motion.

It was at a park and it was gone. I was convinced that somebody walked by and picked it up while I wasn't looking.