• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you play here?

This has potential to be a very cool course! Imagine having a glow tourney there with some glow paint on the dinosaurs and their teeth!

I could see having a pin under the brachiosaurus, or on the mastodon's trunkend, or on the carcass being eaten by the velociraptor. And....is that a giant pile of dino poo in the parking lot!? Pin on that! ["I shot pretty ****ty today".]

Sure, I'd play here--probably take the kids for shock value. Make a nice, unusual family course. :) :D

Last edited:
I'd absolutely play there....but being only 8 acres it would be difficult to do more than essentially a pitch and putt 9 hole course. Given the theme though it would make a great family friendly 9 hole starter course.

absolutely. same with the abandoned six flags in La.:

2011-this-is-abandoned-Six-Flags-in-New-Orleans-now.jpg

Oh hell yes. To both.
The Six Flags outside NOLA is super creppy as well. I lived in NOLA during Katrina and for years after. We snuck in there a couple times. It eventually got even more spooky spooky, crawling with junkies...

I'd absolutely play there....but being only 8 acres it would be difficult to do more than essentially a pitch and putt 9 hole course. Given the theme though it would make a great family friendly 9 hole starter course.
Let's start with the assumption that I have the disposable income to buy this park:

So for half a mill I get 8 acres...

Or I could buy 40 acres for $130k in the Manistee National Forest, with a house already built. I'm not that far from one of the best courses in the country (Flip City), surrounded by other good courses (Mason Co. complex, Leviathan, etc) and have $370k left over to build a course. Hmmmm, gee, which will I do? Probably build up North and try to make it a destination. And yes, I do actually have located a property that matches the above description, and have seen several others that are almost as good a deal. Not that I'm trying to move back to Michigan or anything...

On the other hand, the 8 acres I get for $500k does have buildable land around it, and back up to a small 9 hole golf course, creating the possibility of some sort of tie-in/partnership. Not only that, the property is in the much more populated Irish Hills, and near several small lakes. As someone who has spent the last 30+ summers going to a cottage on a small inland lake in Michigan I can tell you that parents would love the idea of an inexpensive way to keep their kids busy. Putting in a decent 9 hole course and pricing it well could be a great way to "grow the game".

It would never be a course that people bragged about playing like Selah, Idlewild, Flip or Highbridge. But it could be a course that actually made money. I'm thinking of selling 18 holes, complete with your choice of a Z plastic Discraft disc with a customized stamp (Michigan course, Michigan company, and I'd offer very limited number of molds) for $20. Bring the disc back, and each 9 hole replay is $2, or $5 with a hot dog, chips, and soda. No outside food or drink would be allowed, and I'd keep concession prices low. The more I think about it the less I think it would be a huge money maker, but I do think people would play it.

Exactly this. Keep it all short par 3s. Use the unique features and it could be an excellent intro / family course.

....if it wasn't almost 500k.

There would also be the option of going tiki course and really going all out on the bizarre factor.

^ Git 'er done!
The problem is with the assumption that I have that kind of disposable income. I'm far more likely to buy the property in Manistee than I am the one in the Irish Hills, and work on it over time. Maybe 5 years from now I'll be sending out invites to the opening of my course.

I love how everyone is quoting my post....with the assumption that I was talking about buying it. The OP asked "would you play here?". To which I gave my answer from the perspective of him buying it and wanting to build a course on it. I was just simply informing him that on that small of a parcel of land 18 holes is not only infeasible but practically impossible. Hence the necessity to do a 9 hole pitch and putt. Expanding further to say that with the items already in place give it a theme that could be leveraged in creating a family friendly environment. Believe me when I say there are much better things I could do with $500K IF I were in such a position.

Latest posts