• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Wraith love - post your stories

The swirly Star always looks nice on their website, but you open the box and the majority are barf colored

Sometimes Infinite gets some of these (of various molds) and they put photos on their website. So I check there first, and if there's a pink or blue one that might actually be visible on the ground and is not the color of Georgia dirt or pine straw, that's the one I'll get.

I picked up a star bottom stamped 175 Wraith today(lost 2 wraiths over the last 6 months so I needed a replacement). I feels so gummy. I can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

I need some guidance, as I look for a Speed 11 max distance disc I have the feeling that a US Wraith with dome might be the key.
Since I haven't thrown any Wraiths at all, what should I look for other than low PLH? What runs and how do I identify them from photos?
Got a penned S-DD in a mystery box and it is practically what I search for but in Sweden, I won't find more of those...

Also found a beauty of a Wraith, small dome but higher PLH than my S-DD, it is however beat in so maybe all I need to do is smash it flat (I'm hyzerflip dominant AF).

Attachments

• DSC_1315.jpg
    DSC_1315.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_1279.jpg
    DSC_1279.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 34
I need some guidance, as I look for a Speed 11 max distance disc I have the feeling that a US Wraith with dome might be the key.
Since I haven't thrown any Wraiths at all, what should I look for other than low PLH? What runs and how do I identify them from photos?
Got a penned S-DD in a mystery box and it is practically what I search for but in Sweden, I won't find more of those...

Also found a beauty of a Wraith, small dome but higher PLH than my S-DD, it is however beat in so maybe all I need to do is smash it flat (I'm hyzerflip dominant AF).
Unfortunately it's a bit of a crapshoot with Wraiths. Obviously PLH is key to stability but in general I have found domey to be more OS and Champion to be more OS as well.

I'd always heard the CD3 and Wraith are basically the same disc, though I've never thrown a CD3.

That IS a nice looking Wraith.

Have you tried a Mystere? It's a speed 11 disc and is more understable than the Wraith. I like the Mystere, but have trouble getting it in the weights I like. There's also the Krait, which is a very straight flying disc, but the Mystere is the 11-speed equivalent of a Tern.

That IS a nice looking Wraith.

Have you tried a Mystere? It's a speed 11 disc and is more understable than the Wraith. I like the Mystere, but have trouble getting it in the weights I like. There's also the Krait, which is a very straight flying disc, but the Mystere is the 11-speed equivalent of a Tern.

I have not, mostly since I love the Flow for good glide on a speed 11. I feel like I might as well head up to speed 12 if I want something that glides forever and get me that extra distance.
Getting curious, here in Sweden I can still find FR Mystere...

Getting curious, here in Sweden I can still find FR Mystere...

Just some cautionary words about the Mystere: it first came out as a CFR disc in Shimmer Star plastic. I got one and I hated it; it really svcked.

Then some GStar Mysteres came out. I don't like GStar myself, but I saw a guy throw one on my home course, and it really flew for him, and he said he loved it. I also held one in the shop and really had to resist the temptation to buy it.

Then the Star Mysteres came out, and they were a LOT better than the Shimmer Stars. I had one I really liked, then the DG gods in the lake claimed it as sacrifice. They've also come out in Champion plastic, but I have not tried one of those.

So check and make sure you get the plastic you want if you try the Mystere.

Domey wraiths will generally be more OS in recent runs (less stiff Star plastic). Flatter ones will fly true to the numbers out of the box (less stiff Star plastic).

Older runs are completely different so PLH is really key if you're able to compare them. Older Hard and Flat Stars could be really beef for example but were also great throwers with tons of glide for their high fade.

I haven't really ever thrown a bad wraith, grab a few and feel em up. Pick the 2 that feel best in your hand but have different PLH and go throw them. You might end up bagging both.

CD3 and DD are both wraith clones. DD was wildly inconsistent but was supposed to be a more OS version. CD3 was supposed to be a more US version but it's also very inconsistent (imo anyway). I like all of the discs when I find the right one and wouldn't have a problem bagging one of each the hand feel is so similar.

I'd always heard the CD3 and Wraith are basically the same disc, though I've never thrown a CD3.

CD3 was supposed to be a more US version but it's also very inconsistent (imo anyway). I like all of the discs when I find the right one and wouldn't have a problem bagging one of each the hand feel is so similar.

CD3 and Wraith are different discs for me. CD3 has a much smaller fade and is easier to throw through a tunnel with minimal lateral wriggle. It also has a smaller feeling rim compared to the Wraith. Wraith handles a bit of headwind better and has a more robust fade. Distance-wise they are similar for me, but only if I throw the CD3 with a touch of hyzer and the Wraith flat. If I throw them from the same hyzer release angle then the CD3 is longer.

the three DDs I've thrown are very overstable compared to Wraiths. I like my Wraiths with some dome, feels like it gives them more distance potential, and 168 weight seems to be the sweet spot for me. None of my domey Wraiths are particularly OS, especially if it's a gentle dome vs a pop top.

While a DD almost certainly does have a Wraith rim with an anhyzer top, the CD3 rim measures equivalent to an Innova 10 speed. I'd bet it's an Orc rim.

My wraith love story is I had a Champ for about 2 weeks then shanked it into OB trees and giant boulders playing a practice hole and it was "gone, reduced to atoms". Decided that it was too much disc for me and disced down to a beast and eventually a Valk.

While a DD almost certainly does have a Wraith rim with an anhyzer top, the CD3 rim measures equivalent to an Innova 10 speed. I'd bet it's an Orc rim.

Seems about right. If you had really small hands it might be a problem but otherwise they feel nearly the same and they fly really similar distances.

I guess I throw like a girl. Got a Madison Walker Wraith and her specs seem to suit me. Looked through a stack of about 10 today and they were all flattish and 170-172g.

The bad - the colors were all typical swirly star camo, every one of them. Got one with a touch of pink to go with some green blue yellow mix. It was the best of the bunch.

The good - the plastic feels great, a little better grip than recent star runs. Flies a bit more OS than the flat Wraiths from the current embossed run. Throwing BH on flat ground with light wind out to about 350 I got about a -.50 turn, I had to torque it to get -1. Saw a little more turn throwing FH but definitely not flippy. Plenty OS for my OS distance driver.

Never spent that much on a disc before. Hope I continue to like it and it stays in the fairway.

Yeah the Walker Wraith is my max beef Wraith. 166-167g Pros for calm/mild tailwinds, 168g Stars for mild headwinds, and the 171g Lionfish for strong headwinds. If you're not happy with the swirls you're seeing (for any disc), check out otbdiscs.com, they usually will have more attractive options than what I see on Infinite or 1010discs.

Lost my Augusta CFR Wraith (2006) last week... I no longer want any special discs, when I fall in love its for life. RIP :wall:

Lost my Augusta CFR Wraith (2006) last week... I no longer want any special discs, when I fall in love its for life. RIP :wall:

Tough loss. Those Augusta Wraiths are (IMO) the best ones ever produced. I think those are what caused people to love that mold in the first place.

I've thrown some good stars, but nothing like the CFR Augusta Wraith. Perfect combo of stability and glide.

Debating putting the Wraith back in the bag. I like that I can throw the CD3 with much less power but I miss the extra distance of the Wraith and I still can't find a stable 12 speed that I can throw as consistently as the Wraith.

My local shop now has three champy-star pink and white mix Wraiths. It is taking all of my restraint to not buy them. Good thing they charge full msrp for them, cause they'd be gone for sure.

Latest posts