• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Wraith love - post your stories

My local shop now has three champy-star pink and white mix Wraiths. It is taking all of my restraint to not buy them. Good thing they charge full msrp for them, cause they'd be gone for sure.

Get them and post pics. I don't believe I've seen a champy star Wraith.

My local shop now has three champy-star pink and white mix Wraiths. It is taking all of my restraint to not buy them. Good thing they charge full msrp for them, cause they'd be gone for sure.

Are you refering to the plastic that is Star but semi clear when shown to the light, that has an almost G-Star feel to it?

I'll buy em if somebody sends me the $50 to cover them, lol.

Are you refering to the plastic that is Star but semi clear when shown to the light, that has an almost G-Star feel to it?

Yeah, a mix of Champion and Star that is almost see-through. Doesn't feel like G-star though, just kinda slick Star.

Yeah, a mix of Champion and Star that is almost see-through. Doesn't feel like G-star though, just kinda slick Star.

What color were they? I would send you cost plus shipping for one of them.

Was wondering cause I got one opaque like a Star Champion mix when shown at light odd Star Shark that feels like G-Star so a G- got put before the Star and an almost above that in Sharpie Extreme about a month back. Also got a regular Star Shark in that same order that does not have problems other then being as stiff as Jolly Launcher Champion and that can happen in some runs of Star. The true odd Star also has a spot that is messed up on the rim but I marked with a Sharpie Extreme the parts that are off on this one spot on the rim so I know the part to not grip. The messed up rim does not affect flight but just makes it so an inch to inch & 1/2 of rim that is odd and off feeling. This odd Star Shark will eventually replace an old Pro Shark 175 grams when the mold gets to being US and not neutral to minor OS like the mold is now as the flex from this odd Star Shark will help the mold be the windy putter and some approach shots that the current Pro Shark does now.

These the been out for a little while but better late than never…
DGU released my Zen Wraith stamp on Champion and Star plastics. All the Stars have gorgeous shapes and fly even better!
zen_star_wraith_white.jpg

Did y'all see a couple of the biggest arms in the game throwing Wraiths for max D at the MVP Open? How far did Gurthie throw it on hole one in the final round, 550, 600?

Did y'all see a couple of the biggest arms in the game throwing Wraiths for max D at the MVP Open? How far did Gurthie throw it on hole one in the final round, 550, 600?

Glad to hear it. I haven't heard of many top pros using the Wraith or mentioned in 'in the bag' videos too much.

Barsby, Double G and Conrad were throwing Wraiths.

Didn't Nate Sexton or Jeremy Kolling get the ball rolling this year or end of last year by using a Wraith over a Destroyer? That change was mainly due to the Star in a few early Ricky runs having that messed up wing when Ricky came back on the team.

GG has been throwing a Wraith for various huge air shots and rollers for ~ a year now. But GG throws hard enough he can throw whatever he wants.
Big Jerm recently hopped on the wagon around either the Utah Open or TDTM.
Conrad seems to loathe throwing anything higher speed than a thunderbird, and a wraith is closer to a thundy than a destroyer that's for sure.
Apparently the newer Wraith runs have a decent amount of stability to them. I've always found them very speed independent compared to other high speed drivers which could equate to more consistency, that's the only thing I could think of for Pros throwing them over Destros

that's the only thing I could think of for Pros throwing them over Destros

I once had a pro player tell me that he does not throw anything higher/faster than Speed 11. I wouldn't be surprised if other pros are realizing that they can do something similar by using the Wraith. In an era of McBeth throwing his Luna 500+ feet and Simon Lizotte throwing putters ridiculous distances, is a Wraith really that much 'less' than a Destroyer?

I've been messing around with a pro and an echostar wraith lately. Used to be they did the same as a speed 12 for me, but since improving over the last few years, it is much easier to throw a wraith for distance than anything faster. Can actually get the intended flight on a good pull.

I've got a friend that can throw an excal 500' on a good day, he is a dang mutant with any sport. He still prefers his beat in wraiths over anything else.

I once had a pro player tell me that he does not throw anything higher/faster than Speed 11. I wouldn't be surprised if other pros are realizing that they can do something similar by using the Wraith. In an era of McBeth throwing his Luna 500+ feet and Simon Lizotte throwing putters ridiculous distances, is a Wraith really that much 'less' than a Destroyer?

didnt ken klimo say he was uncertain if he even had the arm for the wraith

For me it would be a longevity issue. If I have to throw a Wraith at 90% power to accomplish what a Destroyer would do at 70% I would throw the Destroyer. Let the faster disc do the work, save some bodily wear.

Thread drift but it's the same with watching Eagle vs Simon throw BH now. Eagle barely gets any momentum, just walks up, Simon builds up a little momentum and they both throw about the same distance. Which of the two is having shoulder issues now?

For me it would be a longevity issue. If I have to throw a Wraith at 90% power to accomplish what a Destroyer would do at 70% I would throw the Destroyer. Let the faster disc do the work, save some bodily wear.

I don't disagree with you. But what I'm saying is that if one throws a Wraith and Destroyer at the same power level (let's say 80%), how much less distance is a pro getting? If it's 100 ft., that's a point... but if it's less difference, and I suspect with those guys it is, and the pro finds the Wraith more comfortable or accurate (or both) to throw? Then the Wraith would make good sense.