• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

wrist tendonitis... help

Hydraulic Jump

Bogey Member
Hope this is an okay spot to post this, I didn't see an "injury" thread like on DGR, but I'd rather post on DGCR...

--

Pretty sure I have developed tendonitis in the wrist of my throwing hand over the last couple of months. (RHBH) Feels primarily like the muscle/tendon that goes over the back of the thumb and down the backside of the forearm. (sorry for the lack of medical terms here)

It started when I was experimenting with my grip in the fall, trying to grip the disc harder from reach back through release. Not painful normally, but my hand goes numb after playing and for a couple days afterward and I definitely feel like I've lost some grip strength. Been going on 5 months now and doesn't seem to be getting any better. :thmbdown:

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had to deal with this and what they did to make it all better. If you rested it, how long? Trip to the PT? Any stretches or strengthening exercises that helped? If you iced it, how often? The thought of not being able to play now that the weather is finally getting better here in Portland is depressing me, but I'd like to be done with this one. Thanks in advance for the advice.

try to get one of those stress balls from sports authority or such. try to develope overall hand/finger strength. if you were experimenting with new grips, and threw them that way, you might have developed muscles that you 'didnt know you had'. by going back to the 'original' grip you have to redevelope that grip.

i hope that makes sense,

and yes, i am doogie howser

Without seeing how you grip and throw the disc it's hard to know if there is anything awry in you shot which is still causing this and can be easily fixed, or if you suffered an injury to the ligaments or muscles in your hand, wrist, and/or arm. If you hand is going numb for days, I would probably err on the side of caution and go see a doctor, then consult a knowledgeable disc golfer in person to see if there is something bag happening in your throw.