• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] x-clone oop?

Jmscrimp

X-Clone is OOP right? I found one recently that is beat but has a sweet flight to it. Anyone been looking for one or know more about it and convince me to keep it? I just took a SL out of my bag because I cant depend on a disc that's OOP.

X-Clones went OOP in like 2004. You almost never see one around anymore.

I have one from when I first tried to play around '93ish. The Blizzard Boss newb purchase in that day. I took it out and threw it after I found my old discs and got back into the sport a year ago. Hit a rock and took a huge gouge out of it and felt sad. I went on eBay to see if it was worth anything and pretty much no. Some were trying to be sold for $50+ but there could be found some in packs of old discs for closer to a dollar a piece.

If you like them check Ebay.

Yeah, I had never heard of it and I have been playing for about 10 years.

At the time that it was dropped, Discraft said they did a limited Z run and the discs were turds. They OOPed it becasue they saw no future going forward with it since it didn't translate well to the new plastics.

At the time that it was dropped, Discraft said they did a limited Z run and the discs were turds. They OOPed it becasue they saw no future going forward with it since it didn't translate well to the new plastics.

Interesting, I had no idea they made Z's. I used to rock the x-clone and always wondered why they never made them. I heard they couldnt due to the nose shape.

Found one at a garage sale a few months ago. Still haven't got around to throwing it.

I looked into selling cause i knew it was OOP but its not worth anything. If you like it, I bet you could find back ups if you're not in a rush.

Same with the Cyclone right? I always heard the Z's were turds.

X-Clone is OOP right? I found one recently that is beat but has a sweet flight to it. Anyone been looking for one or know more about it and convince me to keep it? I just took a SL out of my bag because I cant depend on a disc that's OOP.

Completely off topic, but the SL isn't really OOP; you can get some limited run Star on the Innova factory store, and the Pro Starfire is rated as an SL

I always threw a Viper when I wanted an overstable cyclone. Similar rim style with that old school bead.

Same with the Cyclone right? I always heard the Z's were turds.
the z cyclone didn't fly like a cyclone. I flew like a longer wasp or like the cyclone 2. Most of the cyclone fans were disappointed. At the time a liked them because one mold in z,x,d could cover all my fairway stuff. speed 9 stuff was starting to hit the market so I wasn't trying to through the cyclones for max d like a lot of guys still were.

I thought the Z Cyclone flew like a Viper UNTIL it was windy. Once it was windy (which was when an OS disc should shine) it would flip unpredictably. I have no use for overstable discs that are not good into the wind. Mark me down as a Z Cyclone hater.

Premium plastics allowed discs to be designed in ways that you couldn't back in the base plastic only days. Back in the day they used beads to increase durability and had to account for the plastic shrinking, CE and Z plastic made that go away. As a result, it's not surprising that some old molds just didn't work well with the new plastic. Old Cyclones made from tournament pro plastic that shrunk in the mold came out as very different discs than the Z Cyclone. The Z Cyclone packed out the mold instead of shrinking. The diameter of them is noticeably larger than an old Cyclone. The nose is a a lot blunter. The bead is superfluous. Basically that whole wing design is unnecessary once you go to Z plastic. The resulting discs was slower, shorter, more overstable, less glide. It was essentially a mid. A mid that wasn't great at what it did. You could get better results from a Wasp. In the end it made sense that it died. The Cyclone mold is a design relic from a bygone day. So is the X-Clone.

I thought the Z Cyclone flew like a Viper UNTIL it was windy. Once it was windy (which was when an OS disc should shine) it would flip unpredictably. I have no use for overstable discs that are not good into the wind. Mark me down as a Z Cyclone hater.

Premium plastics allowed discs to be designed in ways that you couldn't back in the base plastic only days. Back in the day they used beads to increase durability and had to account for the plastic shrinking, CE and Z plastic made that go away. As a result, it's not surprising that some old molds just didn't work well with the new plastic. Old Cyclones made from tournament pro plastic that shrunk in the mold came out as very different discs than the Z Cyclone. The Z Cyclone packed out the mold instead of shrinking. The diameter of them is noticeably larger than an old Cyclone. The nose is a a lot blunter. The bead is superfluous. Basically that whole wing design is unnecessary once you go to Z plastic. The resulting discs was slower, shorter, more overstable, less glide. It was essentially a mid. A mid that wasn't great at what it did. You could get better results from a Wasp. In the end it made sense that it died. The Cyclone mold is a design relic from a bygone day. So is the X-Clone.

So, you are saying they are not good to nut on?

Latest posts