• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Your Favorite Roller (Distance)

Stable

* Ace Member *
What is your favorite driver to use for distance rollers? I'm watching footage from this past World Championships in Pittsburgh and noticed the top players all have a roller in their arsenal. I've been playing a long time and never developed a distance roller. I think now is the time.

Let me know what you all use!

I don't care if this thread has come up before. Let's start a fresh one. :D

MVP Orbital, for sure. It takes the stress out of throwing a roller, as the disc does all the work for you. Rollers have never been so fun!

Roadrunners and Sidewinders get crazy distance on rollers. I also really like rolling flippy FDs.

Roadrunners and Sidewinders get crazy distance on rollers. I also really like rolling flippy FDs.

Sidewinders seem to be a crowd favorite. The speed 9 area is the type I'm looking for this slot. The Legacy Mongoose is basically their Sidewinder right?

Im settling on the axiom virus. I like a slower disc and its not super US but rolls easily. Sidewinders are not as understable as mongoose IMO. I might be thinking of tbe bandit tho.... Roadrunner > sidewinder

Im settling on the axiom virus. I like a slower disc and its not super US but rolls easily. Sidewinders are not as understable as mongoose IMO. I might be thinking of tbe bandit tho.... Roadrunner > sidewinder

What about the Axiom Insanity? I've been looking for an excuse to add an Axiom disc to my bag. I love the color options. :thmbup:

I used the insanity for a while and love the fresh flight of that disc. I plan on putting inertias back in the bag after messing with all this new $#!+ for that "slot".. Insanity doesnt turn as easily so rollers do not stand up as well but better than inertias did. It beats into a virus like flight but when fresh its closer to stable.

I used to roll inertias they just needed a steeper angle and i prefer the little extra LSS when throwing. The wave reminded me of some of thr old beat inertias i had but wayyyy faster. Obital spunds like a hell of a roller disc but thats about all. Virus flies US longer theory like lines for me and rolls easy so i think inertia makes sense over insanity being virus is in the bag for sure.

Last edited:
I have seen two styles of distance rollers. First is a flat, stable disc thrown on an anhyzer angle which holds to the ground, then very slowly turns over. My disc for this is a flat star katana that will roll a country mile. I also like a flat VIP world for this.

Second style is a supper flippy, sometimes domey disc that can be thrown low and flat. This disc will hit the ground earlier and with much more angle, but because of the extra flippiness of the disc will still turn up and over. It is an easy angle to throw, you aren't having to arch your back and reach back high, but it isn't a very predictable roller. I like a domey 400g D4 for this style roller.

Basically, the shape of the disc is just as important as the stablity. Sharp, angled nosed wings (i.e. nuke/crank) will curl way to the side once they get straight up and down, and more dome on the disc will mean more lift, turning the disc over faster. I definitely prefer flat, stable discs with a blunt nosed wing. Zephyrs and pa4's, because of their flat blunt wings, will roll extremely far. I have seen a 470 ft hole birdied in a putter only round with a pa4 roller.

I like slightly above average stability for my rollers compared to most people. My 2 main backhand rollers are a broken in (but not too beat) pro destroyer and a star TL that is also relatively stable. I also like a flippy roc to roll with. Those kind of rollers need to be thrown at a very steep angle pretty high in the air. A stable disc needs some air time to turn before it hits the ground. I've heard that shot referred to as a sky roller before. The drawback to that kind of roller is that you can't throw them on low ceiling shots, which is when a lot of people throw rollers.

Also RDG'S Scale goes stupid far on a FH roller. I suck at FH, but I can get a scale to roll 300 feet on a roller no prob

For BH rollers I like a Hu it glides out pretty well and sets down for
Very predictable 400-450ft rollers.

For FH rollers I use s Glow Champ Firebird it can go up to 500 on a roller. I've used a Stiletto as well and for sky rollers it works well.

I use a super beat up Champ Roadrunner for low ceiling rollers or when I really want it to roll right sooner. For sky rollers, I use my least stable FD (beat in S-FD).

I have seen two styles of distance rollers. First is a flat, stable disc thrown on an anhyzer angle which holds to the ground, then very slowly turns over. My disc for this is a flat star katana that will roll a country mile. I also like a flat VIP world for this.

Second style is a supper flippy, sometimes domey disc that can be thrown low and flat. This disc will hit the ground earlier and with much more angle, but because of the extra flippiness of the disc will still turn up and over. It is an easy angle to throw, you aren't having to arch your back and reach back high, but it isn't a very predictable roller. I like a domey 400g D4 for this style roller.

Basically, the shape of the disc is just as important as the stablity. Sharp, angled nosed wings (i.e. nuke/crank) will curl way to the side once they get straight up and down, and more dome on the disc will mean more lift, turning the disc over faster. I definitely prefer flat, stable discs with a blunt nosed wing. Zephyrs and pa4's, because of their flat blunt wings, will roll extremely far. I have seen a 470 ft hole birdied in a putter only round with a pa4 roller.

This post pretty much sums it up. There are two types of rollers… One where use a stable disc and force it to hit the ground at the correct angle. These are the types of rollers where you see somebody arching their back way backwards in order to get the disc to sit down correctly. This shot requires a much higher ceiling but can give you fantastic results. This type of shot can be accomplished with anything but is usually a stable to over stable disc. I'm seen anything from Teebirds to Firebirds.

The other type of roller is good for low ceilings. This is where you see people pull out under stable plastic such as Sidewinders and Roadrunners. Basically, take an understable disc and rip it on a low flat release. Let the understability of the disc work for you… If you have done your job properly, it will hit the ground at the appropriate angle.

To answer your question, I like Firebirds for the first type of shot and Sidewinders for the second.

I used the insanity for a while and love the fresh flight of that disc. I plan on putting inertias back in the bag after messing with all this new $#!+ for that "slot".. Insanity doesnt turn as easily so rollers do not stand up as well but better than inertias did. It beats into a virus like flight but when fresh its closer to stable.

I used to roll inertias they just needed a steeper angle and i prefer the little extra LSS when throwing. The wave reminded me of some of thr old beat inertias i had but wayyyy faster. Obital spunds like a hell of a roller disc but thats about all. Virus flies US longer theory like lines for me and rolls easy so i think inertia makes sense over insanity being virus is in the bag for sure.

Wow

Insanity is out. did it get too flippy or something?