• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your personal top 5 to 10 courses and how and why you rated them that way...

1.) Flyboy - Not only did Kelly put in an amazing course, but he offers an amazing disc golf experience at Flyboy. I stayed here a couple days last year and he was so damn hospitable. I got to play the course 3 times and I have t say the shot variety is unmatched. Short par 3s, par 4s, par 5s with water.. It's all here. Hard not to list it at #1.

2.) Idlewild - This course made me feel so small. It's just a huge, huge piece of land with giant holes and an amazing layout.

3.) Golden Gate Park - Beautiful park. I met some awesome people while I was out there, even! Really the course doesn't stand out as one of the best, but it's the kind of park where you could stay all day and just relax and soak it up.

4.) Waterworks - This course is something else. Talk about a challenge. The elevation changes left this Florida boy somewhat confused but it also gave me some really good lessons. I do remember the wild onions growing on one hole that I was chewing on while playing my round. :)

5.) Edward Medard Park - I've gotta list this one because it's the best course I've played in Florida thus far. Truly a pro-level course. Designed by JohnE McCray and his wisdom shows through in every aspect of the course. There's camping on site, too!

Honorable mention - Malabar Park, Palm Bay FL - My disc golf game essentially "grew up" on this course. I was there right after it was put in, for the rough part, and as the community grew and the park was more frequented it became better and better. The sheer amount of WORK that's been done out here is something amazing. We have seating on every hole, multiple spots to seek shelter when it rains, crazy tiki heads in the trees, a "spin-o-mando", a self-proclaimed "longest tee pad in the world", and some amazing shot variety. Hole 12 is a personal favorite as there are literally 5-6 lines to take to the basket, but you have to nail these lines.

1. Flyboy -- Nothing in the disc golf world like it. NOTHING. Armed with everything you've ever read about the Flyboy experience and you STILL won't be able to appreciate all the joy, hospitality, and wondrousness that IS the FBA experience. Truly unique and impossible to touch for the entirety of what this place represents.

2. Stoney Hill -- Incredible variety, numerous layouts, fantastic property, hospitality, private, unique, beautiful, and very well maintained. The Sauls do an excellent job of making you feel like it's YOUR course, only for you, and with all the extra little bits of challenge and escape that only a private course can offer.

3. Bradford Park -- My favorite public course in the Charlotte area. Fantastically well-kept, two sets of tee pads, excellent signage, ease of navigation, and the feel of being on a private course, which is often impossible to achieve with a public park. The course never really comes into play with the rest of the park or anyone else there, unless there's a very large softball or soccer tourney. A great blend of left, right, up, down, short, long, etc.

4. Elk Mountain -- Two courses on site -- one is an incredibly challenging definition of mountain disc golf, the other a less intimidating course near the lodge. Both are BEAUTIFUL, and offer the private discing experience, scenic views, formidable challenges, and so many extras that add to the experience -- brewery on site, wine tastings/vineyard, trout fishing, camping in any way you could choose(cabin, tent, yert, B&B), ropes courses, fine food at the lodge and a sweet pro shop -- connected to the brewery! That and an incredible staff and family that run the show.

5. Grand Central Station -- Excellent use of the terrain to give big downhill shots, threaded woods par 4s, and water crossings. Nothing else on site(for now) -- feels like a private course, you won't be worried about hitting sunbathers/mountain bikers/kids getting away from the monkey bars/soccer moms who've lost their way/ etc. Great signage from Plays It Forward, challenge and variety.

1. Horse Mountain, Northern CA - Wild secret mountain course with amazing views and top notch golf

2. Birds of Paridise, Miranda, CA - Read my review if you want to see why

3. Whistlers Bend, Roseburg, OR - Lots of great golf along a bend in the river

4. Squaw Valley, Olympic Village, CA - Ride the gondola up or have a nice hike up the mountain to a course that plays super tough. Hole 3 is a 1000'+ downhill monster.

5. Zepher Cove, Zepher Cove, NV - Great views of Lake Tahoe while playing super fun golf

6. Redwood Curtain, Arcata, CA - Playing through giant redwoods, up and down hills this course isn't the longest, but it is very technichal.

7. Youngs Meddow, Northern CA - Secret mountain course requiring a hike in.

8. Tarwater, La Honda, CA - Multiple varieties of terain as you play up and down this course set in the mountains between the Bay Area and Santa Cruz

9. Blue Mountain, Missoula, MT - Playing up and down the hills outside Missoula, this course has lots of great variety

10. Water Works Park, Kansas City, MO - The funnest "park style" course I've ever played. With lots of elevation change and a variety of shots needed.

Thanks for putting tarwater on this list. You're going to have to get up to China Peak...it will make your top ten.

1. Idlewild- Nothing more you can ask for in a course. Such a wide variety of shots are needed. HUGE variety of distances. Unique holes. Amazing par 4s and par 5s. Turf greens, creeks and ponds, it's got it all.
2. Lincoln Ridge- Great use of hills, wooded and open holes, It has moderately wooded, average length holes in the beginning, heavily wooded shorter holes in the middle of the round, and longer open holes towards the end. Some very unique hole designs and great use of creek. Lacking: Pure awesomeness of Idlewild.
3. Charlie Vettiner- The best technical course I have ever played, including one of the best holes in #18 (U-turn hole). Requires great shot shaping, and it's very straight-forward. You have a tunnel to throw through, and if you hit it, you have a birdie putt, if you miss you're scrambling for par. I like that in a course.
4. Freeman Lake- Length at it's best. It will look very open, but most holes have a few trees that are very strategically placed. Some of the coolest pin locations I've seen, including a peninsula green. Greatest use of water on any course i have ever played.
5. Kereiakes- Very different course than any I have ever played. Lots of evergreens that just kill your discs (and hopes at par) if you get in them. Actual rough, causes run up problems if you get off the fairway, which kind of plays as the line of trees on the sides of the holes, since this area doesn't have heavy woods.

1. Conifer Park- Fresh Rocky Mountain air! Up and down hill shots, new tees and baskets, views, perfect amount of challenge for me.
2. BRP- Lots of risk/reward shots with the ponds, love holes like 4 that require dead straight shots, everything is well kept up and green, all the amenities of p2p.
3. Hidden Lake- A lesser known MN course in the St. Cloud area. Has a little bit of everything, tight lanes, open bombers, water, elevation. Very challenging.
4. Kaposia- A TC classic. Keeps you on your toes all the time. I love the wooded holes here.
5. Spearfish Canyon- One of only a few courses that take advantage of some of the Black Hills beauty. Not an overly challenging course but lots of fun shots.
6. Bailey- Awesome views, elevation, unique tee and pin placements. This course would be higher on the list if it had better tees.

My Top 8...order is kinda random

1) Maple Hill
2) Warwick
3) China Peak
4) Stafford Lake
5) Squaw Valley
6) Turtle Rock
7) Tarwater
8) Whistlers Bend

Thanks for putting tarwater on this list. You're going to have to get up to China Peak...it will make your top ten.

I do need to make it out to China Peak. It'll have to wait though till I'm done dealing with this stupid lyme disease.

I've doubled my courses since the last time I did this and things have changed.

1A - Flyboy - best disc golf experience I've had to date
1B - Hawk Hollow - best overall layout I've played to date
3 - Brackett's Bluff (old layout)
4 - Hornet's Nest
5 - Castle Hayne
6 - Cedar Hill (TN)
7 - Old Post
8 - Walnut Creek
9 - Nevin
10 - UNC

How do i post a new thread here?

I want to find someone willing to play the Redwood Curtain tomorrow am early as no one seems willing to post a map for us tourist players that might be passing through. Why wouldnt DGCR put up jpgs of the course maps or text directions, especially for one that says its impossible for first timers. PDGA has one but you have to join to login. I join the local clubs.

Anyway, any hints would be good.

After heavy debate I came up with this list. I personally love very challenging/long and well thought out courses........beauty is a plus, but I love coming back humbled and hungry for another round at any of these courses.

1. Milo McIver (beaver state fling east and west 18's).....very well thought out and tweaked over the years and will always keep you thinking and on your toes.

2. Jackson Memorial IDGC.......possibly the best overall design I have ever played.

3. Idlewild

4. Deer Lakes Park

5. Leviathon (blacks)

6. Flyboy aviation.....I'm not sure why some people knock the design here, things are always changing and a lot of the holes out there rival any of the top courses out there. Hole 3 is arguably the best hole in disc golf I've ever played.

6. Renny Gold......just an overall brutal beat down.

7. Hornets Nest (charlottes web overlay)

8. Angry Beaver (I know its not finished, but I recently saw some of the markings for some new/longer tees) I believe its being called the angrier beaver lately by the locals

9. Bear at Highbridge Hills......it wasn't mowed/manicured when I played, but if it ever is, it would be the best course in that complex.

10. Centralia IL........long and challenging, but very well thought out.

Last edited:
I think the layout at Flyboy is great but if you took the best 18 it would be rock solid phenomenal but as a 27 hole course you get some less than spectacular holes thrown in.

... and damnit my top ten changed again and my last post was two months ago.

honorable mentions..........(very hard to rank these in top ten, but these were close)

no particular order......
West Lake Park, Blue Gill, Blue Ribbon Pines (majestic layout), blueberry hill, granite ridge, highbridge gold, (all of which were manicured and mowed much better than bear), camden 2 (long postions), rolling ridge.........I could go on a bit more, but I will stop.

... and damnit my top ten changed again and my last post was two months ago.

My top ten changes a lot, my wife and I have been to a lot of places in the country to play and we have played a lot of great courses. It seems that courses from recent trips tend to make their way higher up the list than those from past trips.

More traffic than could be accommodated for. You 100% need a guide/permission there; as the course winds it's way round private airplane landing and take off areas.

I'll post my list as of now and see how it compared with my first time around:

1. Leviathan
2. Idlewild
3. Goliath
4. France Park (not necessarily objectively great...just great for my likes/dislikes and personal skill level)
5. Ramcat Ridge

Edit: Okay...apparently this is NOT the thread I was thinking it was...:\

Last edited:
More traffic than could be accommodated for. You 100% need a guide/permission there; as the course winds it's way round private airplane landing and take off areas.

Thanks Tallpaul :hfive: I had just got into the thread that dealt with this. I hope I get the chance to play this someday.

Top five so far:

Blue Ribbon Pines East Bethel, MN This should be in everyone's top 5-10
Anna Page east-west-south Rockford, IL (counting all three courses as 1) Home course
Skare Park Rochelle, IL (Best 9 HOLE I've played so far)
Fox River Park - grey fox - Silver Lake, WI
Fox River Park - red fox - Silver Lake, WI

Latest posts