• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Zen Golf: Mastering the Mental Game

BADman

Eagle Member
Just picked this book up on my Kindle. Just wanted to share, Im really liking the lessons taught, although they are for ball golf, its obviously very applicable to what we do. Check out the free sample.

http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Golf-Mast...4462/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334153561&sr=8-1

Good light reading. Short chapters let me read in the little down time I have right now.

Anybody read this one? or got books like it?

Dr. Bob Rotella

He has a bunch of book but so far this is the one I have read (Audio Book:clap:)

Dr. Bob Rotella:
Golf is Not a Game of Perfect

my problem with these kinds of books is that they often try to push a way of life on to people through a singular facet of their existence. if you want to be zen on the course read actual Buddhist scriptures, if you want to know "the way" then read the Tao Te Ching. if your life is balanced then your game will surely follow

I have read the tao. Im not really into being a monk.

The book Im reading is more about how you feel about golf rather than how you feel about life.

I have read the tao. Im not really into being a monk.

The book Im reading is more about how you feel about golf rather than how you feel about life.

this is why you will never actually understand the meaning behind the book or be able to truly implement its teachings.

this is why you will never actually understand the meaning behind the book or be able to truly implement its teachings.

Do you have the patience to wait until your mud settles and the water is clear?

my problem with these kinds of books is that they often try to push a way of life on to people through a singular facet of their existence. if you want to be zen on the course read actual Buddhist scriptures, if you want to know "the way" then read the Tao Te Ching. if your life is balanced then your game will surely follow

This. I actually studied soto zen buddhism for a while. Makes me wonder what kind of dis Buddha would have thrown. :hfive:

combining world views and sports is for shallow thinkers that want to feel good about themselves.

i think this has been derailed a little bit.

did anybody read the sample pages from amazon or are we all just hating on eastern ideologies.

its about the mental part of golfing. are we all saying that this is bogus and not worth thinking about?

did anybody read the sample pages from amazon or are we all just hating on eastern ideologies.

its about the mental part of golfing. are we all saying that this is bogus and not worth thinking about?

Me thinks there are too many full cups in the room. Seasoned athletes know what the zone is and how to get there. To borrow a phrase from The Wheel of Time, "the flame and the void" in other words the ability to block out all but the target is what great athletes do. I think this book looks like a worthwhile read. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. My best days on the course are when I can focus on that one link in space where I want my disc to pass through and be able to hit it.

Worthy? Heck yes. Maybe the greatest mystery is the inner workings of the human mind. I'm guessing no one alive understands the full parameters of it. The closer we come to understanding ourselves (strengths, weaknesses, triggers) the better off we can be and the further we can grow.

The topic is so deep and complex that it is hard to fairly start. But in the great circle of life is not genius close to insanity? Do we endanger our own stability by seeking greatness? The boldest players are willing to commit fully, no matter the costs. Are we and should we be willing to make that commitment?

Most of us will never have to make that choice because we lack the skill set and the genetic advantages. After all practice can make you good. Only God can make you great.

Having read the authors mentioned so far I only know that none have hit me square on the nail. Our games may be unique but our own head (hopes, fears, idiosyncrasies, willpower, resiliency) is probably unfathomable to even us.

You have only reached your limit when you give up.

Latest posts