• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Zone Question

Spence2551

Bogey Member
I started out with a P&A then switched to using the Voodoo. I liked the voodoo but lost it and bought some X out magics. Didn't like the magics as much and bought a couple of ridges when they came out. I bought some Ions after the ridges and was using them exclusive for a while. I ended up picking up a D zone when it was on sale. I really like the disc it is nice and stiff and I like the feel much better than the premium plastic of the ion. Also it has a low profile which my putting stile seems to prefer.

Any other putters out there have similar flight and feel to a D Zone?

also if you want a low profile compliment that is less stable the xd and the wedge are good for that.

i have see a number of local guys have really good results with Ringers and Classic Rocs.
the XD and Wedge as mentioned are low profile but will likely take a bit of time to get used to the feel for as they are very slim and perform different from your typical P&A putter.

the bonus of the classic roc is that you can find them in a number of different stiffness/grip it seems like. i know some people who like their super stiff DX versions, and i have seen some really rubbery old Pro plastic ones that felt amazing.

if you like the zone then by all means stick with it. i practice at home with some beat to hell Zones and Magnets and i like that they have a similar feel in the hand to my ION so that when im out on the course its not much different.
i would practice putt more with IONs if i could but at 15 a pop they are a bit expensive for the amount of abuse my back yard discs seem to accumulate.

Zone is the the best disc ever. ESPs last forever. pro d's will beat in to straight. Z is a little less overstable than the ESPs. thats a great spectrum. There is no substitute for the almighty Zone.

id say cycle some pro d's through your bag, and throw xd's alongside them until you get one beat enough. or keep and xd for turnovers aswell.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am defiantly going to pick up a few more zones. I will probably try the ringer and classic roc too see how they compare. I wouldn't mid something slightly less stable, but cycling the Pro D's will probably get me there eventually.

Now if Marshal Street will have a $5 pro D sale again I could be set.

No the difference between the feel from the height of a Pure makes it very different to a Zone especially for small hands with short fingers and FH.

I am pairing pro d and esp zones with wedges right now and really liking it. get the zone that are past flat to the point of being a little concaved and they will hold there line longer before the fade.

money 21 said:
I am pairing pro d and esp zones with wedges right now and really liking it. get the zone that are past flat to the point of being a little concaved and they will hold there line longer before the fade.

Your sig still has voodoos in it, are you still carrying those as well?

I'm using Ions and Zones and a single Anode for putters. I use the Ions for my primary putter but am hoping to switch to my pro d zone when it's a bit more beat up. I love the feel of the zone and would love to find a neutral counterpart to it.

find a flat to concave xd. that will be a far less stable compliment to the zone, with a very similar profile though.

what'shisname said:
money 21 said:

Your sig still has voodoos in it, are you still carrying those as well?

I'm using Ions and Zones and a single Anode for putters. I use the Ions for my primary putter but am hoping to switch to my pro d zone when it's a bit more beat up. I love the feel of the zone and would love to find a neutral counterpart to it.
yes i putt and throw short approach ( <150') with the voodoo. for 150'-275' i am more then likely throwing either a wedge or a zone.

Latest posts