• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2011 PDGA Pro World Disc Golf Championships: Monterey Bay, California

Just got confirmation that I'm moving to Charlotte in the immediate future. Worlds 2012 here I come!

Anybody want to help load/unload boxes this weekend? Send your $60 application to... :p:p Sorry couldn't help myself! I promise I'm done.

I'll probably be at that one too, lol

I love the sport and love having DeLa a my local course.

We are indeed incredibly lucky!

But to be honest I haven't had the best experience volunteering myself....2010 Masters, was one of the first people to show up a 7:30a so they stuck me on hole 2, they said lunch would be handed out around noon, I saw a half a sandwich at about 3p, they said there would be volunteer shirts and a disc or whatever, I never got either. As I was leaving I saw that others had theirs. Maybe that is what I get for showing up early. I was not in it for the schwag, and not bitching about that, as I was there more to help out with a sport I enjoy.

I would be more angry than you are, if that happened to me!

2011 Pro Worlds will be a Tom Schot event. Ask around with people who have volunteered with him in the past, I'm sure you'll find there is a huge difference.

...Took a day off work to volunteer for a work day...I was asked to move dirt from one spot to another to back fill a tee box...no problem...While I was doing this most of the other people were still at the parking lot talking, before going onto their task. A while later I was invited to help with the task they were working on which was great as it was a big job (making a retaining wall for a tee box). At the end of the day I was glad I could help and felt good about it.

The work days are often this way, people come and go and work when they can muster the effort and time. And usually too few show up to make a concerted effort with something. I usually only come to work days when there are big projects that require multiple laborers and big effort, otherwise I can come and do other work at any time.

...My buddy had a potted tree...the "regulars" where concerned with what was going on (making sure we weren't dropping trash or whatever).

The old-timers will especially remember the days when DeLaveaga was the city's unofficial dump, and maybe still a bit paranoid. They hauled out so much crap to build the course, the local residents from that time are still in awe of the clean up effort that had to take place. Even the ball golf course dumped out there, they're responsible for making the big pile of mud and junk across the fairway of hole 12 (the basket is usually put on top of it nowadays).

...The tree was planted, and now every time we play we give it water.

Thanks for the tree! It is a very important contribution to the course. Daviar and I planted it. I've been concerned about its health, as the lower branches are always a bit brown. But the upper part of the tree stays green and seems to be growing (maybe 2-3 feet since planting). However, we need to put some taller posts to protect it as it grows, the upper bark already shows some nastly scars that are obviously disc impacts. Tom G has also been watering it regularly. If we can keep it alive for a year or two, then I think it will grow up and be a key part of hole 12.

Got any more trees? We're thinking about planting more in the future, maybe more hardy trees like redwood and madrone.

...my buddy had some spare dried bamboo (makes for a good disc retrieval tool), we strapped them to the car and dropped them off at the course. This time it was pretty well received, but there was also a comment that it was taking away from this persons "business" as he retrieves disc and sells them. What ever we see them being used on the course and makes us feel good.

Don't let one snide comment from some bystander jerk put you off, that was also a huge contribution to the course. Many people owe you guys beers. I know I do!

The worst thing was when I found a bunch of young players chucking the bamboo poles into the canyons. When I asked them what in hell they were doing, they were like "come on, they're just laying around!" I made them climb down into the canyon and get them back, after explaining that somebody nice made a big effort to put the poles out there for people to get their discs out of trees.

Anyways, the more bamboo, the merrier!

...I was told that I could go out and trim/clear the fairways of any loose branches and such, pick up debris and dead fall. Then a few days later there was a big bitch fest about someone cutting a branch that made the hole too easy...

Yes, cutting branches that aren't a clear hazard (e.g., eye-pokers) will cause a huge uproar at any course. If cutting makes the hole easier, then a lot of people will complain. The philosophy of DeLaveaga has always been about uncompromising challenge...that's why we don't do short tees. And anyways, there should be a proper process in place with the club to decide on these things, and they should be able to give more clear instructions to people out on the course doing the trimming work. That's been an issue for a very long time.

I can't be at the course all the time so I don't know everybody club, but when I come to help it just seems like there would be a more of a warm welcome form the "friendly" disc golf community. Maybe I just need to keep with it and I will be part of the "club" at some point. Honestly it made me shy away form volunteering for the Worlds...that plus not being able to commit to 4 days. It has nothing to do with the $60.

There is so much diversity among people at DeLaveaga, from so many vastly different walks of life. Getting along and working to improve the course is the same as trying to do something good in any part of society...you'll find all kinds. The old crew got really burned out because for so long they were the only ones doing any work. There are a lot of younger players who never work, ever. Then there are those of us in-between, who have careers, families, and other distractions, but who are able to pitch in when we can and we hope to have a big impact.

And then there are club members like Nate Doss, and Avery and Val Jenkins, World Champs who are also real work machines at DeLaveaga when they're not away on tour. In everything they do, they are out there working in every way possible to improve the course, play their best games, to build the sport, and to lead by example. That's how I like to see the DeLaveaga Disc Golf Club, I want everyone to think of people like them as the "regulars" and the type example of what a DeLaveaga Disc Golf Club member is like.

CNote, I'd like to see you get more directly involved in the club, if you have time, and play a more assertive role. There are a lot of things that need to be improved, its always a work in progress. The people that have the greatest impact are always the ones who step up and do the things that need to get done, regardless of the whining and bickering from the sidelines. But you can't go renegade on the course, either, without putting off many others and driving away folks who would otherwise like to participate and work to keep improving DeLaveaga. Its a delicate balance, and nobody can claim mastery of this process.

And you've gotta complain if you're promised lunch, and only get half a sandwich at 3PM! I'd have been down there at 12:30...

We are indeed incredibly lucky!

I would be more angry than you are, if that happened to me!

2011 Pro Worlds will be a Tom Schot event. Ask around with people who have volunteered with him in the past, I'm sure you'll find there is a huge difference.

The work days are often this way, people come and go and work when they can muster the effort and time. And usually too few show up to make a concerted effort with something. I usually only come to work days when there are big projects that require multiple laborers and big effort, otherwise I can come and do other work at any time.

The old-timers will especially remember the days when DeLaveaga was the city's unofficial dump, and maybe still a bit paranoid. They hauled out so much crap to build the course, the local residents from that time are still in awe of the clean up effort that had to take place. Even the ball golf course dumped out there, they're responsible for making the big pile of mud and junk across the fairway of hole 12 (the basket is usually put on top of it nowadays).

Thanks for the tree! It is a very important contribution to the course. Daviar and I planted it. I've been concerned about its health, as the lower branches are always a bit brown. But the upper part of the tree stays green and seems to be growing (maybe 2-3 feet since planting). However, we need to put some taller posts to protect it as it grows, the upper bark already shows some nastly scars that are obviously disc impacts. Tom G has also been watering it regularly. If we can keep it alive for a year or two, then I think it will grow up and be a key part of hole 12.

Got any more trees? We're thinking about planting more in the future, maybe more hardy trees like redwood and madrone.

Don't let one snide comment from some bystander jerk put you off, that was also a huge contribution to the course. Many people owe you guys beers. I know I do!

The worst thing was when I found a bunch of young players chucking the bamboo poles into the canyons. When I asked them what in hell they were doing, they were like "come on, they're just laying around!" I made them climb down into the canyon and get them back, after explaining that somebody nice made a big effort to put the poles out there for people to get their discs out of trees.

Anyways, the more bamboo, the merrier!

Yes, cutting branches that aren't a clear hazard (e.g., eye-pokers) will cause a huge uproar at any course. If cutting makes the hole easier, then a lot of people will complain. The philosophy of DeLaveaga has always been about uncompromising challenge...that's why we don't do short tees. And anyways, there should be a proper process in place with the club to decide on these things, and they should be able to give more clear instructions to people out on the course doing the trimming work. That's been an issue for a very long time.

There is so much diversity among people at DeLaveaga, from so many vastly different walks of life. Getting along and working to improve the course is the same as trying to do something good in any part of society...you'll find all kinds. The old crew got really burned out because for so long they were the only ones doing any work. There are a lot of younger players who never work, ever. Then there are those of us in-between, who have careers, families, and other distractions, but who are able to pitch in when we can and we hope to have a big impact.

And then there are club members like Nate Doss, and Avery and Val Jenkins, World Champs who are also real work machines at DeLaveaga when they're not away on tour. In everything they do, they are out there working in every way possible to improve the course, play their best games, to build the sport, and to lead by example. That's how I like to see the DeLaveaga Disc Golf Club, I want everyone to think of people like them as the "regulars" and the type example of what a DeLaveaga Disc Golf Club member is like.

CNote, I'd like to see you get more directly involved in the club, if you have time, and play a more assertive role. There are a lot of things that need to be improved, its always a work in progress. The people that have the greatest impact are always the ones who step up and do the things that need to get done, regardless of the whining and bickering from the sidelines. But you can't go renegade on the course, either, without putting off many others and driving away folks who would otherwise like to participate and work to keep improving DeLaveaga. Its a delicate balance, and nobody can claim mastery of this process.

And you've gotta complain if you're promised lunch, and only get half a sandwich at 3PM! I'd have been down there at 12:30...

All well put, and thanks for taking the time to reply to this. I understand that the old timers have strong feelings about the course (I know a couple people that were involved with the course in the early '80's), and I respect that and don't want to spet on their toes, but you would think that if you showed, that you cared and wanted to help that they would be a little more open to help. It might just take them a little time to warm up to me I guess.
Just to be clear I am not really bitching....just voicing what I experienced. I agree that I should get more involved with the club. I will be working on that soon.
THANK YOU JHern for all your time and effort....I am not super vocal on this board (although I am trolling it all the time), but I do see all the work you are putting into the Worlds and the course. Hope to see you at/on the course.

Innova sparkle...

Innova_Sparkle_600.png

...limited edition plastic, available only for volunteers and competitors to purchase at Worlds.

im sure they have those in numerous molds, it does not appear 2 be a big enough rim for a boss tho. probably wishful thinking, but it looks like a panty droppin starfire that can set ablaze links of chain for miles..

That is the meadow at Pinto, #9 thru 12A.

Last edited:
Heading to the Armory in DaLeavaga Park Sunday to check in and grab my volunteer package. My assignment puts me at Pinto for the final 9, Sweeeeet!!

That's a really cool pic! Traveling across the country last year and playing the faultline, that hole is the one that really stood out for me. Awesome to see that! (Had to be fun to take that picture too!). I can't wait to play those courses again someday!