• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Fondled a First Run Comet last night. Stamped on the back. It was the first night of Ann Arbor Area Disc, putting league. We have been talking to an OG member/leader of our 35 year old club. He has expressed wishes to unload his stash of club merch and discs, from that era. He stopped up to the putting league and we had a chance to chat. He dropped off the Comet, an old Rattler and a club shirt from "back in the day". We are meeting him for drinks in a couple days to negotiate the rest of his stuff. It will be pretty interesting to see what he has.
If anyone shows particular interest in that vintage of Comets after his supply is gone, I've got a few I wouldn't mind parting with. But I'm holding onto the glow ones 😁

First run had no tooling, I think they added that in the second run. Other than that, I wanna say the latter runs were limited in color selection, but that could be just the selection I found where I was shopping.
I'm convinced you must have at least a master's degree in Cometology.

I'm convinced you must have at least a master's degree in Cometology.
What can I say, I've loved Comets for long enough, my addiction is old enough to vote 😁 Other than a Buzzz one of the Throw Proud folks dyed with our logo, and a glow Hex for night time, I haven't bagged another midrange since before ESP Comets were a thing...

Old comets as fine, but so are new ones.

It stopped raining in the Midwest last Friday, but the courses were mud slogs from a week of downpours.

Played a couple rounds. Got 8 birdies total. I think 6 of those were from comets.

Had a new-ish Z comet that went straight. Had a seasoned Z comet that drifted right. That covered all my midranges. It was a fun day all around, but watching comets carve up wood lines brought big smiles.

Didn't worry as much about muddy footing since I wasn't carrying as much inertia into the brace with a comet. Have been working on my nose angle for drivers, but also realized that gave me better control of nose angle for comets as well. Made a mindful choice to go extra nose up or extra nose down on a couple holes. Executed that successfully about half the time. Had a lot of fun trying it though.

Fondled a First Run Comet last night. Stamped on the back. It was the first night of Ann Arbor Area Disc, putting league. We have been talking to an OG member/leader of our 35 year old club. He has expressed wishes to unload his stash of club merch and discs, from that era. He stopped up to the putting league and we had a chance to chat. He dropped off the Comet, an old Rattler and a club shirt from "back in the day". We are meeting him for drinks in a couple days to negotiate the rest of his stuff. It will be pretty interesting to see what he has.
We might be moving. If we do, I wish somebody would show up with a truck and a check rather than moving all these damn golf discs. Damn, disc golf was sooooo much fun. Then it got popular. :confused:

We might be moving. If we do, I wish somebody would show up with a truck and a check rather than moving all these damn golf discs. Damn, disc golf was sooooo much fun. Then it got popular. :confused:
Lot's of truth here. I recently stepped back from my club board position and league coordinator duties. It became too much. I found myself having less fun. I miss the unbridled joy of golf with friends and spending the day in a park.

Last edited:
Lot's of truth here. I recently stepped back from my club board position and league coordinator duties. I became too much. I found myself having less fun. I miss the unbridled joy of golf with friends and spending the day in a park.

Administrative positions are like sentences. When you've served your time you should be able to re-enter free society.

I'll take all the extra Comets...and maybe some others, you'll probably have to ship em though. Let me know and we can figure it out. I know I've tossed the idea of doing a DG history YouTube channel around, but I really don't have the discs for it, though I do have the passion and drive for it so maybe???

Comet......Shmomet. I need some D Stratus!!
You know, I've been playing disc golf for 22 years as of this coming spring, and I'm not sure the D Stratus has been in production for any of them... It was X only when I started, I think... 🤔

You know, I've been playing disc golf for 22 years as of this coming spring, and I'm not sure the D Stratus has been in production for any of them... It was X only when I started, I think... 🤔
They have been reasonably available forever [years]. The D just breaks into this reliable, low speed turn over disc. Approach duties and recovery exclusive. It is a workhorse at elevation and a wild wind ride................crap, I hope this is not a eulogy. :oops:

They have been reasonably available forever [years]. The D just breaks into this reliable, low speed turn over disc. Approach duties and recovery exclusive. It is a workhorse at elevation and a wild wind ride................crap, I hope this is not a eulogy. :oops:
Did you really find the X Stratus to be unreliably flippy? The only disc I've ever thrown more understable was the Optimizer...

Did you really find the X Stratus to be unreliably flippy? The only disc I've ever thrown more understable was the Optimizer...
No, this is likely the route I end up going. D plastic breaks in immediately and is flippy at even lower speeds.

My Comet problem has been passed down to my daughter, so those already have a home.
I figured that was probably the case, but I also figured I'd better take a chance, because with the way my life has gone recently it feels like almost anything is possible to happen at this point.

Regardless keep me posted because I might have some interest in other stuff you've likely got way more than you need...I'm still trying to figure out if and how with the whole disc golf history channel thing.

Rim width = fade is the dumbest thing I've read in the Internet today, and I checked Breitbart this morning. 😐
Right? I believe the Hades and Vanish would like a word with him... 🤣

He went on for a bunch more comments, trying to tell me I suck with Comets, and that I should just accept it because I'm a woman.. . 🙄