• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT- 2018 Discraft Great Lakes Open

^ this please! Let's not lose sight of what this young man did.
Relative to his own game, Prince's performance might as impressive as Paul's (given both players' bodies of work).

McBeth (came in with 1044 rating): 52 + 45 + 52 = 149
Prince (came in with 994 rating): 56 +53 +49 = 158

Prince's 49 on Day 3 was only surpassed by Paul's Day 2 day insanity.
You gotta love a player that turns in better performances each day, and closes with that kind of performance.

Then again, there was only one way McBeth could go after his 2nd round. :\
The only rounds better than 52 were: McBeth's 2nd and Prince's 3rd.

Honestly, if you think the par and course structure is legitimate (I'm not the judge of that), what he did was more so, IMO. Numerically, maybe, pressure wise, oh yeah!

Can you give us the same for Prince! Also, probability? What is the likelihood of those outcomes? :D

Prince would be expected to get 3 under. His 14 under 49 was also 11 under what he would expect.

Side note: for the 18 holes from hole #10 of the second round to hole #9 the third round, Prince actually beat his expected score by 12. (See the steep upward slope on the performance chart.) Paul's best 18-hole streak just happened to coincide with round 2.

I doubt I'll do Prince's probability. It breaks my computer and takes a couple of days. But, it's got to be just about as so-incredible-numbers-don't-matter.

At the awards ceremony, Paul commented on how Willie tore it up on Day 3.
Prince said of course he wanted to do well and finish high, but what he did far exceeded anything he could have imagined.

Was just watching some of The Disc Golf Guy's coverage and was wondering is Hokom every going to be called for a foot fault on her "jump putts." From what I have seen ~75% of the time she "jump putts" she is still holding the disc after she has jumped.

There was a slowmo(cant remember if it was an actual Slomez or just a transition shot) of one of the Beard's putts during the Jomez 2nd rd vids that was an obvious one. I remember thinking it was odd they would choose to use a slowmo on a FF, lol...

Was just watching some of The Disc Golf Guy's coverage and was wondering is Hokom every going to be called for a foot fault on her "jump putts." From what I have seen ~75% of the time she "jump putts" she is still holding the disc after she has jumped.

Have a time stamp?

Plus I don't think she makes enough outside the circle putts to warrant a call?

It will happen eventually at a big event where someone is watching like a hawk, or maybe after somebody had been called and he is looking to get back at them. On a long putt, that's gets called before it gets to the basket, or something like that. Whether or not it gets seconded is another matter.

Gotta say I think the final round video for this was one of my favorite tournament videos in a while. Obviously the -18 from the day before was impressive, but these dudes were canning big putts all day. Nikko is fun to watch when he's playing well, and I forgot how much I like watching Feldberg. He needs to grow the Fidel Castro beard back though. Conrad is fun to watch too because he smashes and he gets everything in his throws. Crowd was really into it also, even though McBeth had it on lock down I still paid attention till the very end.

TLDR: the beard needs to return and show up at more events.

Take a look at 4:54 on this video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN5quJtCa5M

There are a couple other times just in this video where it looks like she is in the air with the putter still in her hand.

What's the issue there? The disc can be in her hand while in the air. It's an issue if it's still in her hand when she lands. He is outside of the circle here... I don't see any issue. There are plenty of better examples of foot faults between Sarah and Feldberg though.

What's the issue there? The disc can be in her hand while in the air. It's an issue if it's still in her hand when she lands. He is outside of the circle here... I don't see any issue. There are plenty of better examples of foot faults between Sarah and Feldberg though.

100% wrong. She has to be touching the ground at release.

802.07 Stance
A. If the lie has been marked by a marker disc, then when the disc is released, the player must:
1. Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the lie; and,
2. Have no supporting point closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
3. Have all supporting points in-bounds.​

The one in the video is pretty blatant. Shame no one on tour has the guts to make these kinds of calls.

The one in the video is pretty blatant. Shame no one on tour has the guts to make these kinds of calls.
While I don't necessarily think that it provides some crazy advantage releasing a split second later, I gotta agree here. It's a bad look when top players don't abide by the rules.

Disc needs to be released from behind the lie, end of discussion.

Last edited:
While I don't necessarily think that it provides some crazy advantage releasing a split second later, I gotta agree here. It's a bad look when top players don't abide by the rules.

Disc needs to be released from behind the lie, end of discussion.

I agree that the advantage isn't huge, but rules are rules. There are jump putts that are 100% by the book legal and really unquestionable, and it's jumpers like Hokom's that muddy the waters when it comes to debates about the practice.

Look at the other putts just before that an notice how they are consciously keeping the plant foot on the ground.

802.07 Stance
A. If the lie has been marked by a marker disc, then when the disc is released, the player must:
2. Have no supporting point closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,

Did she not when she started her putt? What am I missing here? She is outside the circle

802.07 Stance

Did she not when she started her putt? What am I missing here? She is outside the circle

It's not about when the putt was started, but when the disc is released.
If she is in the air when the disc is released, then it is a FootFault, Stance Violation, Falling Putt. Whatever the correct term for this, it is a rules violation.

The background for this is, IIRC, way back during the early days of DG, that some of the more athletic early throwers were actually doing a run-up-long-jump thing to get them closer to the basket before they released the putt. Alternately, they were falling toward the basket/target and dunking the disc before they hit the ground. Both perfectly legal at the time.
Our ruling body decided this was not in the best interest of the game, and made the above throws illegal.
While the jump-putt (as opposed to the putt-jump) may not give a huge advantage, it is illegal to leave the ground before you release the disc.

It's not about when the putt was started, but when the disc is released.
If she is in the air when the disc is released, then it is a FootFault, Stance Violation, Falling Putt. Whatever the correct term for this, it is a rules violation.

The background for this is, IIRC, way back during the early days of DG, that some of the more athletic early throwers were actually doing a run-up-long-jump thing to get them closer to the basket before they released the putt. Alternately, they were falling toward the basket/target and dunking the disc before they hit the ground. Both perfectly legal at the time.
Our ruling body decided this was not in the best interest of the game, and made the above throws illegal.
While the jump-putt (as opposed to the putt-jump) may not give a huge advantage, it is illegal to leave the ground before you release the disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVJdMvm1yaA

so how are Nikko's putts legal?

Latest posts