• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Drops New Media Outlook for 2019

There are a lot of things being said on this thread that are just not true. Also, we need to be patient and let Steve present his plan. I talked with both Steve and Terry yesterday, and while I was surprised at the Smashboxxx announcement (and a little sad), Steve has a vision and he has a done a great job with the DGPT so we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

Also, Smashboxxx isn't going anywhere. I have already been in communications with the PDGA media team and JV and Terry about Pro Worlds. I am sure they will do a great job with Pro Worlds.

Also, Jomez will be fine as well. The idea that they would create their own tour is ludicrous. The amount of work that has gone in to creating the DGPT is absolutely insane. Steve has people who do logistics, media, marketing, social media, sponsorship, etc etc etc. Jomez's core competency is filming disc golf events, not running a Tour. Yes, maybe they can find some good A Tiers that they can film, and I am sure they will. But who says they won't be filming any Pro Tour events? Even if Steve doesn't contract Jomez to film events, tournaments could still choose to hire Jomez (or CCDG) to come film their event. Yes, it may not be lead card, but Jomez isn't going anywhere. If I was a betting man I would say Jomez will be filming at Ledgestone in 2019, and maybe CCDG as well.

Also, its silly to think that Pros will not follow the money. The pros like Jomez and CCDG (and I am very fond of them myself). But right now these pros don't have luxury to play a bunch of the smaller A Tiers. For starters, there is so much more money involved with DGPT events. The entry fees are higher (and a lot of pros get their entry fees paid for) and the added cash is a lot higher. So they are going to these higher priced events with a lot of donators paying a $225 entry fee. At the smaller A Tiers, the entry fees may only be $100, and the added cash is probably only $3000 or so. They simply can't afford to play a lot of the smaller events.

Also, the idea that a bunch of other tournaments can just magically raise their added cash to a larger level is silly as well. If those tournaments could do that they would have already done that and they would have already considered trying to join the NT or the DGPT. The bottom line is, unless you spend 300+ hours running a large scale event, you probably won't be able to raise enough money to run a DGPT or NT event and you certainly won't be able to make a profit off of it. To do it right you need to put the time in, and most people (understandably so) don't have the time for it.

Will sales of ledgestone discs be down this year because people are upset over the media policy?

That answer is a definitive no. I have already sold 12,000 disc to vendors for the 2019 releases.

Not for me, Swirly GLO ESP Mantis, ESP Cyclone, ESP Bangers (although I'll probably get a couple of MJ's when the drop on Black Friday).

We are excited to bring back the Cyclone for a small, limited run!

Also, Jomez will be fine as well. The idea that they would create their own tour is ludicrous. The amount of work that has gone in to creating the DGPT is absolutely insane.

Dodge started with zero followers. Jomez is approaching 100k. That makes a huge difference when it comes to starting up something. Just sayin....

Dodge started with zero followers. Jomez is approaching 100k. That makes a huge difference when it comes to starting up something. Just sayin....

100k YOUTUBE followers.

Yes, they make money via merch sales and through partnerships, I'm sure. But 100k followers doesn't instantly mean money or mean anything to the viability of a tour.

100k YOUTUBE followers.

Yes, they make money via merch sales and through partnerships, I'm sure. But 100k followers doesn't instantly mean money or mean anything to the viability of a tour.

I believe a large portion of their revenue comes from the ads in their videos (rather than payouts from YouTube directly). CCDG's the same way IIRC, though Ian can correct me if I'm wrong.

I think Jomez pro could do a mini tour. They could sell fundraising discs and sponsor the tournaments they film. They wouldn't need to sponsor many tournaments. Maybe 4 or 5.

I think Jomez pro could do a mini tour. They could sell fundraising discs and sponsor the tournaments they film. They wouldn't need to sponsor many tournaments. Maybe 4 or 5.

But why? What's the benefit? Do we need another tour?

But 100k followers doesn't instantly mean money or mean anything to the viability of a tour.

Ofcourse, my point was starting with 100k followers is a pretty good asset. At the end of the day, it's all about the money. Pros will follow the money trail regardless if it's the Disc Golf Pro Tour or the DGCR Tour.

That answer is a definitive no. I have already sold 12,000 disc to vendors for the 2019 releases.

We are excited to bring back the Cyclone for a small, limited run!

Wow that's a lot of discs. Are there any vendors in the Charlotte area? Do you have any plans to release any comets?

Jomez needs more events to film.

There are plenty of events. They don't need to create more. The events out there are already diluted of talent enough. If we want better coverage, we need fewer events that the top players want to play at. Better players = better coverage.

There are plenty of events. They don't need to create more. The events out there are already diluted of talent enough. If we want better coverage, we need fewer events that the top players want to play at. Better players = better coverage.

Jomez would sponsor existing events.

That makes a ton of sense for an event like Idlewild where cell signal can be at a premium, but post-produced coverage looks great. Plus Idlewild has been getting jerked around by the DGPT for schedule purposes.

Idlewild signal is fine. Not sure where you got this info from, but when doing live scoring and streaming all was fine on multiple carriers.

I'm guessing the Live will be free because sponsors pay for that, and Patreon will get first access to post and up to a week later post is free, with the similar ads to Live.

Anybody else have a different guess at the model?

I'm guessing the Live will be free because sponsors pay for that, and Patreon will get first access to post and up to a week later post is free, with the similar ads to Live.

Anybody else have a different guess at the model?

My thoughts and guesses...
Steve brings this in house. In a few years he tries to monetize or PPV the system. I know he has thought about it in the past.

But for THIS year. I don't think you will notice much of a difference in how the media is handled other than WHO is doing it. I don't think Steve would rock the boat that much.

Wow that's a lot of discs. Are there any vendors in the Charlotte area? Do you have any plans to release any comets?

Todd Hodge is a vendor, though I don't know exactly where he is located in NC.

I am running a special Z Sparkle Comet this year.

Latest posts