• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

Just curious about discing down. Currently throwing sidewinder, XL, Buzzz, and looking to get teebird. But I was wondering if the beast is an alright one to use.

if you really want to disc down i would just throw the XL or Teebird, Buzzz and your putter of choice... how far you throwing the discs you listed? im discn down to just work on form a lil and try get my distance numbers up a bit

All rough estimates, but here are the distances
Sidewinder: 300
XL: 330 very inconsistently
Buzzz: 280

surprised you can get the XL and Buzzz around same distances as sidewinder... i would think you should be getting more d than that out of sidewinder.. using same grip on all?

surprised you can get the XL and Buzzz around same distances as sidewinder... i would think you should be getting more d than that out of sidewinder.. using same grip on all?

Well they're pretty rough estimates, but I guess thinking back I am throwing the sidewinder about 30 feet farther than my buzzz, but my XL goes about the same distance. I feel like if I don't throw the XL perfectly it will be way off (probably has something to do with the fact that it's pro-d and fairly beat in).

And ya I use the same grip.

Did My 1st disced down round this morning, Skeeter and Voodoo only. Getting about 200+' out of skeeter, less from Voodoo. Ended up 10 over at Downriver here in Spokane and is a few strokes worse than a good previous round but not my worst one by far. Resisting faster mids for a little bit, want to get throw beat into muscle memory but am encouraged by results so far. :)

I'm part of the disc down faithful--so no dd hate here, just an observation...

I keep seeing comments about how people are getting good scores while disced down. Playing their normal course with a mid and putter and maybe even beating there full bag scores. That's great. Part of it certainly has to do with gaining more control of the disc and improvement in form--goals of discing down; however, it seems to me, it may very well be, at least in part, about better course management, which is something you can do playing with the fullest of bags.

Since people cannot shoot for the basket on every hole ("410' to hole with a well guarded basket and narrow fairway? I bet I can park it if I throw my Nuke through that 5' opening 300' feet away.... <shank into a tree and bounce into a thicket 100' out> Dagnabit!") they play for the lie, which leads to better course management and a better score, that is, they actually play disc golf and not "disc basket run."

Are people carrying that lesson over when they disc back up as well?

Yes. Throwing putters and slow discs helps you learn about course management and decision making. Just bring your putters, and you'll really learn about manipulating shots, and when to go for it, and when to lay up.

Yes. Throwing putters and slow discs helps you learn about course management and decision making. Just bring your putters, and you'll really learn about manipulating shots, and when to go for it, and when to lay up.

I agree with this 100%, and it really has been all about increased control for me. I have been able to shoot consistently in line with the pin with my mids, even if I am further away than I would have been with a driver.

The other by-product I am finding with discing down is that it is actually making me more aggressive. As I learn how to control my putter from further out, I find myself going for birdie a lot more than I would have before. With this added control, I know that if I miss on the second shot, I am not going to be too far off for par, so I might as well give it a run.

Now, if only I could actually start making some of those birdie shots...

I'm part of the disc down faithful--so no dd hate here, just an observation...

I keep seeing comments about how people are getting good scores while disced down. Playing their normal course with a mid and putter and maybe even beating there full bag scores. That's great. Part of it certainly has to do with gaining more control of the disc and improvement in form--goals of discing down; however, it seems to me, it may very well be, at least in part, about better course management, which is something you can do playing with the fullest of bags.

Since people cannot shoot for the basket on every hole ("410' to hole with a well guarded basket and narrow fairway? I bet I can park it if I throw my Nuke through that 5' opening 300' feet away.... <shank into a tree and bounce into a thicket 100' out> Dagnabit!") they play for the lie, which leads to better course management and a better score, that is, they actually play disc golf and not "disc basket run."

Are people carrying that lesson over when they disc back up as well?

Kinda, but not totally. My mid to short game has always been pretty good. What I found today was alot of long approaches and long putts, not unusual for me. Most holes between 300'-450'. Longer holes I couldn't reach pin w/ 2nd shot. Chumped a couple of putts, not unusual. Last couple of times I shot there was in the 6-9 over range. Difference was that is a very treey course, easy to put a drive into the woods if a little off line and take 2 extra shots to get back where you belong for a 5. I've never had a big enough arm to be looking birdie alot, playing for lie alot so this wasn't too different for me. I was happy because my score didn't suffer as bad as I thought it might by taking almost 100' off the top end of my drives. :)

Thinking on it, big difference today was instead of trying for the reeeealy long putt for birdie and getting the occasional 4(or birdie)I had no Choice but to try and lay up, often from fairly far out. No shots today where I kicked myself thinking' That was totally a Birdie, Why did I miss it!'. Unusual for me, I'm usually close enough to hit 2-4, whether I actually sink them or not. :)

Anyway, that's how it was for me. I've been where you're talking about but not for awhile. Getting old. :)

I tried a Swan yesterday. Based on 2 rounds and one very nice putt/approach of about 100' it is pretty sweet. Didn't miss my Wizard once. I felt like I was cheating on my wife though. I could even feel the eyes of the Wizard on me as I walked back into my garage after 'going out' with the Swan.

Not sure if this is discing down or not, but I've only been carrying leopards Valkyries and Teebirds lately for drivers. Probably doing 90% of my driving with a Comet. Today we had a good sized two round event at newish private course here. The majority of the course crosses back and fourth over a gas line right of way, but #13 was a 465' bomb, uphill and down the middle. Both times I stepped up with a 166 Pro Leopard had the longest drives in my group, and only missed the longest drive marker by about 15ft the 2nd round. This is all with my one step run up as well. So +1 for throwing a driver you can get up to speed!

I was all set to beg for a private course hookup until you said crosses the gas line repeatedly. Congratulations on the success. I've seen some baby steps with putters lately, but nothing earth shattering.

Nothing if that's what you've got to play. It's better than sitting on a couch, but when I hear private course I have some mighty high expectations. Most of the ones I have played have been pretty damn exceptional. No gas lines, substations, nuke towers etc.

I'm still not getting it. It's not like the course only ran in the open area of the right of way. It's was one of the better private courses I've ever played.

Cool. It's Ok. I wasn't there. Just sounded weak with a gas line. No big deal. Maybe someday I'll stumble across it, and get to see it for myself.

First time caller, long time listener.

I just want to say I've been lurking on this thread and "The Process" also really watching a lot of video, and while it's a lot to digest it all makes sense. I inadvertently disced down on a trip to San Francisco. I forgot my discs and the huge sports store in the Presidio had three pack sets from Discraft on sale, eliteX plastics, and The Buzzz and Cyclone taught me more about my game (more importantly the holes in it) in one week than my previous five years combined. All lower weights than anything I had been used to. Picked up a Comet, and a new Birdie putter and I'm loving it. I just ordered a Ridge, and I'm wondering if my Soft Focus, Blowfly II, Magnet, should go away while I work on this stuff or can I drive those putters? I have a Star Aviar I've never used, and a DART and some other Aviar molds... I want to totally disc down but just the subtle change from not trying to muscle everything and working with my new found smoother throwing technique is still pretty fresh and I feel like that Cyclone has taught me more. I had taken all my high speed discs out of my bag, and was really digging the Leopard, Pro Gazelle, and an EliteX XL until I lost all three in some monster brush in Indiana this week. I'm also jealous of all of you who have a home course and can get weekly rounds in. I travel for work 20+days a month so it's always traveling and rarely the same course all week unless we're somewhere with only one or two good courses. Any advice/disc suggestions? I will try and get some distances soon for comparison.