• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

I would recommend, in addition to your "discing down," to also minimize your number of molds, especially in the putter catagory. Since you are working on smooth technique, you will learn better how to throw the same disc on different lines, angles, etc and get results. A good driving putter is very controllable, so you will learn better how to shape lines.

Some would say only one mold for all putting and driving use. But you could also pick one that you really like for true putting and one that is more to the stable side (Wizard, Voodoo, Aviar BB like a Star or KC Pro, Challenger, etc. there are a bunch but just one) and learn to drive it.

Is your Star Aviar an Aviar Driver or an Ariar P&A? If it's the driver one, that would be the one I'd use. If it's the P&A, it's probably ok, but you may find it a little understable.

Last edited:
Bklyn, if you are constantly playing different courses then you are the posterchild for mold minimalism. Getting the absolute most out of as few molds as possible makes tackling different courses a lot easier, takes the guesswork out picking discs to throw.

If I were you, I'd get some good, all-round discs and get to know them really well. Cyclone, Buzzz, Comet, and putter of your choice. All your putters are good, all-round molds except the Dart and Blowfly, they're more apt for specialized styles. I say hunker down on the fundamentals for a while, after you really get the knack for how to throw and shape lines, you'll have a much better context for evaluating other molds.

Pretty much everything BroD said,I think most people would be jealous of your ability to travel and play though ;)

The Cyclone is definitely a fun line-shaping disc,I really enjoy throwing my ESP,even though it didn't quite make my bag,still an awesome disc.

I agree with the Comet suggestion and you already said you got a ridge,and I think that could fit the bill,haven't used one,but they seem like fun little putters.

I would rather pair up a Roc with a Comet if it were me,for stability sake,a fresh DX is plenty stable to match up with the slow-glidey lines of the comet :)

Thanks all, I have been playing for a long while but really only turned the corner and saw improvement this year. I played Mt. Airy Forest in Cincinatti, OH today and had a really humbling experience, still a lot of great shots and recovery work. The Comet/Buzz seems like they overlap a bit I guess, I would like to mess with a ROC, I've seen crafty old dudes punish courses with a ROC or two alone.

I hit CLT three weeks a year, brotherD, where in NC are you? Apparently I've been missing out on Renny and Hornet's nest, I just LOVE Reedy Creek. I'm moving out of NYC and to Cleveland, OH soon. Unfortunately my off season is winter... I just got done reading Cfair's stuff and had to laugh at the long break from November to April. I guess I will practice drives in the SNOW!

I guess my goal should be just a few molds, multiple discs in each? What about plastics? My Comet is Z, Buzzz/Cyclone EliteX. I'm still waiting on my Ridge, so for now I carry My Birdie and a Soft Focus for shaped puts, approaches and such. I guess I'm not discing down so much as lowering speeds and sticking to less molds. I'd like to get a consistent stroke down and then try this driving putter craziness.

I would rather pair up a Roc with a Comet if it were me,for stability sake,a fresh DX is plenty stable to match up with the slow-glidey lines of the comet :)
Yeah, I didn't realize his Buzzz was elite x. A DX or KC Pro Roc would be a better pairing with the Comet.
I hit CLT three weeks a year, brotherD, where in NC are you? Apparently I've been missing out on Renny and Hornet's nest, I just LOVE Reedy Creek. I'm moving out of NYC and to Cleveland, OH soon. Unfortunately my off season is winter... I just got done reading Cfair's stuff and had to laugh at the long break from November to April. I guess I will practice drives in the SNOW!

I guess my goal should be just a few molds, multiple discs in each? What about plastics? My Comet is Z, Buzzz/Cyclone EliteX. I'm still waiting on my Ridge, so for now I carry My Birdie and a Soft Focus for shaped puts, approaches and such. I guess I'm not discing down so much as lowering speeds and sticking to less molds. I'd like to get a consistent stroke down and then try this driving putter craziness.
I live about an hour north of there, between GBoro and Asheboro.

Your goal should be to develop a core of stable discs and know those discs like the back of your hand. A stable driver that you can make finish right, straight, and left; a stable-overstable mid; a stable-understable mid, and a putter. Drive your mids and putter whenever you can. If you're going to carry 2 putter molds, try and keep them similar like Ridge (drives) and Soft Focus (putts) as opposed to the Birdie and Focus. There's nothing wrong with using a lid like Birdies but I'd try and learn to use the more conventional discs first. Lids are like a specialty/utility disc for things like low-powered shots and running hard at the basket.

Really the goal is to learn how to throw correctly, and the better you know your discs the better feedback you receive and therefor get better sooner. Constantly changing discs can confuse you if a bad/good throw is the disc's fault or yours.

At the moment my simplified DG-bag contains following discs:

Vibram X-link Ridge 175g
Discraft Z Buzzz 177g
Discraft ESP Comet 174g
Innova Champion Teebird 175g
Innova Star Eagle-X 175g

I have been practicing stand still shots in the football field so I know pretty exact distances of my throws: Ridge 260', Buzzz/Comet 290' and Teebird/Eagle-X 330'. So there is still a lot to do.

I'm thinking about testing lighter Teebirds and Eagles (168-170g). Does it make any sense instead of buying for example lighter Wraith?!

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. If you can't sniff 400' then throwing max weight drivers is a little limiting for most people.

My fairways are low to mid 160s and I like them that way. Mids I can go up to low 170s. Then I just carry the Vulcan around 160 as close as I can.

Was disced down with whats in the sig below minus the Vulcan BUT, I decided I am typically a 300' thrower with Teebirds and Leopards spike to 325' sometimes with a rare yet possible 350;and I want to push that, but when the hole gets to be 400'+, that would be a good time to keep me familiar with a nose angle sensitive distance driver. Especially since it gets me a little more distance.

I've officially dumped the fast discs in the closet. I had my first mid and putter round today. At least it was a course that I never use anything but those on. My bag looks like this for the time being:

Putters:
Wizard SS 175g
Wizard SSS 175g

Mids:
Stingray DX 171g
Buzzz ESP 171g
Buzzz Z 177g x 2
Hornet Z 177g

Fairways:
Viper DX 165g
Teebird Star 175g
Teebird Champ 171g
Leopard DX 170g Just picked up to try out
XL ESP FLX 175g

Taking on suggestions as well if anyone sees any holes in the bag.

I find it odd that your overstable disc is A: 5-10 grams lighter than everything else, and B: in the least durable plastic.

I would just get a 170 Champ Banshee if it were me.

I find it odd that your overstable disc is A: 5-10 grams lighter than everything else, and B: in the least durable plastic.

I would just get a 170 Champ Banshee if it were me.

It was one of the first discs that I ever bought. Lately it's turning into more of a utility disc for thumbers and forhand rollers. At least today that's the only reason it even came out of the bag. In the winter time I used it a lot for headwind drives. Thanks for the banshee suggestion. I'll have to look into picking one up.

My fairways are low to mid 160s and I like them that way. Mids I can go up to low 170s. Then I just carry the Vulcan around 160 as close as I can.

Was disced down with whats in the sig below minus the Vulcan BUT, I decided I am typically a 300' thrower with Teebirds and Leopards spike to 325' sometimes with a rare yet possible 350;and I want to push that, but when the hole gets to be 400'+, that would be a good time to keep me familiar with a nose angle sensitive distance driver. Especially since it gets me a little more distance.

Scratch the Vulcans. Discovered today my beat pro Leopard is downright ridiculous. Why do I need a Vulcan for wide open distance when it usually means I can put the Pro Leopard on a high line and watch it just go forever.

Actually threw just about every hole with a Leopard of some sort and they are really clicking with me, so I took the Teebirds out again and just left the Banshee, but I'm still not sure if I will stay Banshee or go back to Preds. Preds give me a bit more distance and a better skipper.

Yeah, those really high speed discs are really high risk/high reward IMO. B/c they're faster, you can throw them on low ceiling shots a lot easier/farther compared to a slow driver/mid/putter which need more height BUT if you don't hit your line just right a tree kick can murder you.

oh, I should mention; the friend of mine who throws only 250' but would pretty much throw DX Viking or D Avenger SS off the tee every time, seeing me throwing Leopards like a mad man? He finally tried his DX Leopard he had ignore for maybe 10 years. He had found it and stuck it in his bag and never tried it. He did today and was stoked to be hitting 275'

Only took me like as long as we have been playing again but he has seen the light.

I've only recently put the wide rimmmed stuff back in the bag. And it's only two discs. Iagree with the risk/reward statement above. More dependable to get the distance but less forgiving on release error.

I've seen a steady increase of 35-30 ft for each class of disc in the last few months, meaning my Buzzzs go as far as a my Eagles, my Eagles as fars as PDs and my PDs as far as my Hurricanes and such. Not only is the distance increasing, but the accuracy and line shaping ability.

It's all been a matter of pushing distance (good clean, late accelleration) with mids and then focusing on nose angle with the drivers.

So my current bag follows. I'm probably going to slim it down further, but for now...

Vibram Ridge 175g
Soft Focus 173g
Innova Birdie 175g *

Buzz Elite X light. Like maybe high 160s
Z Comet 178g

XL Elite X 168g
Cyclone Elite X 165g
Pro Leopard 165g
Lat 64 Gold River ??g

* BrotherD I hear ya about the Birdie but I just really started nailing approaches with it, I like how it doesn't end up too far away, doen't roll, etc. I hit four birdies with it in my last round yesterday. Can't hang it up.

The River seems to be the heaviest driver, but I'm starting to get it on a nice Straight line.

I'm sure there are overlaps, holes, any feedback? I want to add another Mid, but I'm unsure about stable/overstable and how to complement my current bag.

^ you don't have any overstable discs, Some drivers are the: banshee, whippet, trident, and for faster (speed 9 or so) XXX, Pred, and firebird. Some OS mids are: hornet, drone & gator (both are very OS) Wasp, Pain, and rocs.

I would also think the XL, Leopard and Cyclone, and maybe even the river all overlap a bit. I would pick one US driver, one stable driver that you can use for many lines, and one OS driver for doglegs, wind, FH, OH, and other utility stuff.

Commenting on the discing down thread again; you know what is fun about it but not mentioned much?

Well; it is said a lot that its funny to outdrive someone who just threw a Nuke with your mid or fairway driver, but the best part about it is; the Nuke got there in a hurry but meanwhile, I'm sitting there watching this pro Leopard cruise nice and slow and land 15' further. The extra air time seems to just make my day.

I've been playing a few rounds a week using either only a Star Mako or my soft magnet. It's a ton of fun to be able to throw straight shots so easily!

Every round since I decided to drop the fast discs I've felt my timing getting worse every round and every whole. Nothing feels right. I've got two bags loaded with discs and heading to the field in the morning instead of the course. Hopefully I'll be able to work out whatever is going on. I was wondering if anyone else has had this start happening to them. I didn't know if this was a normal thing that occurs when you start working on your form.

Latest posts