• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania splits with Innova

I really don't know which planes were the which numbers...

Ed came to Wisconsin in 1995 for the Fox Valley Open. The old Disc Golf Journal sponsored Ken Climo to come and play there as the course was rated very highly by the Editor/Owner of DGJ. Ed had a bunch of his discs there to sell and since I was helping the TD (Tom Jenkins) he signed and gave me a bunch.
Those are the Hi-Tec drivers which were factored Stingrays made by Innova. If you have those stamps on Lightning Discs you have Unicorns from a brief DGA/Lightning partnership that didn't go anywhere.

Somewhere here I have a #1 Driver that Steve Howle sent me that just says "The Driver" because he thought he couldn't use #1 Driver due to the DGA discs, but then he realized that they were all approved with things like Hi-Tec or Professional in the name so he just used #1 Driver. He also didn't submit them for approval even though he changed the names and the rules said he had to. Steve kinda followed his own rules. Jeff Homburg told me that he got along with Steve and tried to work with him to get as many of the number discs approved as he could, but it was a struggle.

Last edited:
Those are the Hi-Tec drivers which were factored Stingrays made by Innova. If you have those stamps on Lightning Discs you have Unicorns from a brief DGA/Lightning partnership that didn't go anywhere.

The stamps are probably (most likely) from the Hi-Tec series, but the discs are Lightning.

The stamps are probably (most likely) from the Hi-Tec series, but the discs are Lightning.
That's like a gap in disc golf knowledge, man. You shouldn't be giving them away, you should be documenting that. DGA working with Lighting is nothing I've ever heard or read of anywhere.

Somewhere here I have a #1 Driver that Steve Howle sent me that just says "The Driver" because he thought he couldn't use #1 Driver due to the DGA discs, but then he realized that they were all approved with things like Hi-Tec or Professional in the name so he just used #1 Driver. He also didn't submit them for approval even though he changed the names and the rules said he had to. Steve kinda followed his own rules. Jeff Homburg told me that he got along with Steve and tried to work with him to get as many of the number discs approved as he could, but it was a struggle.

Steve Howle...couldn't remember that name...

Met him at Dayton Worlds, I think he was rooming with "Uncle Joe" Weinshel (sp?) who was editor of the PDGA newsletter I think after Joe Feidt.

Steve Howle...couldn't remember that name...

Met him at Dayton Worlds, I think he was rooming with "Uncle Joe" Weinshel (sp?) who was editor of the PDGA newsletter I think after Joe Feidt.
Called somebody that would know, he said it happened. The retooled blunt nosed B-25 Mitchell was the 1 Driver, The Dauntless was the 2 Driver, the 3 Driver was the original sharp nosed B-25 Mitchell, the B-2 Stealth was the 4 Approach and the 5 Putter was the Upshot. They didn't factor them like they had the Innova discs. He said it was a one and done sorta thing so those are rare. Worthless, but rare. He couldn't remember if it happened before or after Lightning killed off the airplane stamps but it was around the same time. You learn something new every day.

All Steve Howle ever said to me about that change that was that he couldn't sell discs in Japan with the warplanes. Remember when Japan was going to be the next big disc golf thing? It was a big enough disc golf market to make him change all his disc names, anyway.

That's like a gap in disc golf knowledge, man. You shouldn't be giving them away, you should be documenting that. DGA working with Lighting is nothing I've ever heard or read of anywhere.

I was unaware of that gap.
With Ed's autograph on discs, I believe in sharing historical discs with people I believe will appreciate them, I think I sent one to couple of guys through DGCR who have run contests in Fantasy Football/March Madness stuff when I have done (IE won) well. And a few others when I thought it was worth sharing. I gave a couple sets away back when I ran the Tuesday night league at Dretzka Park.
I also gave away lots of Ken Climo signed discs back then as well(while at the Fox Valley event), he had inquired about some of my old Vipers and so we did a trade...

Dealing with Ken was really funny, I had run in to him in Clearwater playing in league (him not me) there. Probably like 1994, they ran league on Sundays starting at like 11am. It was during football and since the Packers weren't nationally televised that week I went to play Cliff Stephens unaware league was going. I caught Kens group on like the third hole and he offered to let me play through. I declined with the comment that I hadn't played there before and wouldn't mind following their group, that way I could throw multiple shots.
A couple of holes later I caught them at a tee again and Ken made the same offer to let me play through. Again I declined, saying I would rather follow them since they looked like knew were they were going. That is when he introduced himself to me...

"Hi, I'm Ken Climo"
I replied, "oh I think I heard of you"...
he asks if he can look at my discs, I said sure...
He glanced in my Neon Green (wish I could remember the manufacture) bag and pulls out a whole handful (Rocs and Vipers, like 4 of each) and without missing a beat asks "you want to sell these?"
I declined with, "not really they are kind of what I throw the most."
Finished the rest of the round, and Ken was waiting to ask again.
Of course I declined again.
I did ask why they have league on Sunday during football season...
I said in WI that would be really unattended because you know "Packers"

He replied..."Buccaneers"

and I'm like..."Oh yeah"

Ran into him at the following KCWO. he remembers me and again inquires about if I am willing to sell some of my Rocs and Vipers. I said I had heard he was coming to the FVO later that year and he said he was. I said I didn't have much with me in KC, but if he brought some of his custom stamped stuff (Innova was just starting to do them for him) we would work something out. He showed up in Appleton with boxes of stuff (he probably sold everything I didn't get), we negotiated a deal of 2 or 3 (memory is shaky on this) of his new stuff for one of my used and inked Vipers. He ended up getting like six of my Vipers

But before we swapped I said that wasn't good enough...

He looked at me like I had lost my mind...

I said he had to autograph all the discs I got from him so I could give them away leagues...

He signed every single one of them.

So at my leagues I gave away probably 50-60 signed Ken Climo or Ed Headrick discs.

The shock on the players faces were priceless...

Sorry for the thread drift...:D

Called somebody that would know, he said it happened. The retooled blunt nosed B-25 Mitchell was the 1 Driver, The Dauntless was the 2 Driver, the 3 Driver was the original sharp nosed B-25 Mitchell, the B-2 Stealth was the 4 Approach and the 5 Putter was the Upshot. They didn't factor them like they had the Innova discs. He said it was a one and done sorta thing so those are rare. Worthless, but rare. He couldn't remember if it happened before or after Lightning killed off the airplane stamps but it was around the same time. You learn something new every day.

All Steve Howle ever said to me about that change that was that he couldn't sell discs in Japan with the warplanes. Remember when Japan was going to be the next big disc golf thing? It was a big enough disc golf market to make him change all his disc names, anyway.

Glad I could fill in some of that gap...

vaguely remember the Stealth, but actually thought one was the Flying Fortress (#2) but clearly not big enough...

Thinking about it, why no mid-ranges (vaguely remember thinking the Corsair was pretty good if the Roc didn't work out for me in my very small Lightning experiment).

Glad I could fill in some of that gap...

vaguely remember the Stealth, but actually thought one was the Flying Fortress (#2) but clearly not big enough...

Thinking about it, why no mid-ranges (vaguely remember thinking the Corsair was pretty good if the Roc didn't work out for me in my very small Lightning experiment).
B-2 Stealth labeled "approach" made me go "hun?" but the whole thing has me going "hun?" so...

I don't remember the Corsair; I threw a Spitfire as a mid for a bit. I don't think Lightning called any of their discs a midrange.

The Discmania people are going to shoot us if we don't shut up.

Does anyone know who owns the Lightning Discs molds now? I still bag a few, and I've been whittling away at the remaining stock from a couple of online dealers. I would love to see the line relaunched, even if it was only in a low-grade plastic. Their distance drivers may be fairways and mids by modern standards, but they're still great fairways and mids.

Does anyone know who owns the Lightning Discs molds now? I still bag a few, and I've been whittling away at the remaining stock from a couple of online dealers. I would love to see the line relaunched, even if it was only in a low-grade plastic. Their distance drivers may be fairways and mids by modern standards, but they're still great fairways and mids.
Contact Gotta Go, Gotta Throw.

I gotta ask.....why?

In Hannah McBeths latest Vlog she played with Cristine Jennings bag and she had lots of Discmania in her bag. . So Innova players can still bag Discmania?

In Hannah McBeths latest Vlog she played with Cristine Jennings bag and she had lots of Discmania in her bag. . So Innova players can still bag Discmania?
The ones that Innova made, yes. They also still make them but with new names now.

I'm not sure its a blanket rule like that. More likely each player according to what it says in their individual contract.

I heard Koling on coverage talk about this, and he definitely left the impression that it was a blanket rule, at least right after the split. Maybe as new contracts are signed that changes, IDK.

But given that you can't even get new Innova produced discs that have the Discmania names attached to them, I imagine it will mostly take care of itself.