• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Go with the FLOW

I had a 172 Blue Opto Flow and it was one of my favorite drivers. I was able to drive it super Low, Straight and Far. Unfortunately I lost it, so I just reordered the disc but this time as a 170 Yellow Opto.

It had a very soft fade if any. Like someone else said, if thrown nose up at all it would lose a ton of power, but nose down the disc absolutely screams. I might look into getting a 175 GL down the road.

After throwing my new run Flow quite a bit I've decided that they pretty much suck compared to the early ones. It is a bit more stable in calm conditions, but doesn't take a headwind any better than my other Flows. It is also slower and seems to glide less. My other optos as well as my GLs always go farther.

discspeed said:
After throwing my new run Flow quite a bit I've decided that they pretty much suck compared to the early ones. It is a bit more stable in calm conditions, but doesn't take a headwind any better than my other Flows. It is also slower and seems to glide less. My other optos as well as my GLs always go farther.

this is bad news.

Yea ive heard this too as well as theyre notbas opaque. Im trying tobstock up on oldies but hard to trust online buying now. Hopefully its not all of the recent run that suck. I love mine.

After a short fling with my king,i think im goin back to my gl flow for a flippier flow. I wish they would make more fuckn colors though.

Booter said:
Mike ,whats the sucky flows u threw? Big dome,flat,moderate. Weight color etc. opaque or more clear?

It is the clearish and softer/gummy Opto plastic. It isn't totally flat, but it is less domey than any of my other Flows. It also has a higher PLH than any of my other Flows, but it's not really much more stable. It is more LSS though. It's still not a bad disc, it's just not as good as my more opaque ones or even my stiff clear ones. I don't like gummier opto. This is one of the reasons I stopped throwing the XXX...my first ones were stiff and nice, but then we started only getting the gummy ones.

I wouldn't say they are THAT bad. I'll give you the 1st runs were better, yes, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the newest run sucks. I've had some darn fine tosses with my new clear neon green one. There's much more turn to it now though, that's the only part I don't like.

The tell tale signs of the newer flows are flatter dome, much clearer, gummier, slightly higher parting line.

Ordered a magenta Opto from MSt. I figure it'll be a new run one.

So, I'm guessing the lower dome makes it a little faster?

discspeed said:
It's still not a bad disc, it's just not as good as my more opaque ones or even my stiff clear ones.
Jeronimo said:
I wouldn't say they are THAT bad. I'll give you the 1st runs were better, yes, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the newest run sucks. I've had some darn fine tosses with my new clear neon green one. There's much more turn to it now though, that's the only part I don't like.

The tell tale signs of the newer flows are flatter dome, much clearer, gummier, slightly higher parting line.

You counter me with my exact statement? :lol: I don't think they suck, they just don't have the Flow magic. I kind of like the grip, but I can tell it's not going to be as durable. I just don't have any place in my bag for this new Flow with my good Optos and GLs.

Jeronimo said:

They turn more? As in less stable? And the parting line is higher? Where's the caliper when you need them.

NoLifeLeft said:
Ordered a magenta Opto from MSt. I figure it'll be a new run one.

So, I'm guessing the lower dome makes it a little faster?

The one I've got is magenta. It is not faster because the gummy plastic slows it down. I don't think the gummier stuff shrinks as much, so the disc feels a little clunkier all around. Although there is not much dome, it feels meatier on the shoulder than my FR Optos, which have somewhat flatter shoulders that rise into the huge dome.

kern9787 said:
Jeronimo said:

They turn more? As in less stable? And the parting line is higher? Where's the caliper when you need them.

I think he's just saying that the plastic is breaking in faster. It feels like crystal-Z, so it would make sense if it does start out more stable with a higher PLH, yet breaks in faster.

Well now I know what to look for. I prefer the older opaque ones with a moderate dome. These are perfect for me. I can throw a new one on a hyzer flip into wind and watch it flex nasty. But once they beat in,its not as reliable in the wind. I carry 3. A freshy opto,seasoned opto and a gl. My seasoned one has lost a little dome but it still bombs. I just cant throw it into a heavy wind like I can the new.

Either way, the flow amazes me still at how perfect it feels to me. I have small hands and the depth,grip of these feels perfect for a fast d driver. Im still able to get snap on these as well.

discspeed said:
discspeed said:
It's still not a bad disc, it's just not as good as my more opaque ones or even my stiff clear ones.
Jeronimo said:

You counter me with my exact statement? :lol: I don't think they suck, they just don't have the Flow magic. I kind of like the grip, but I can tell it's not going to be as durable. I just don't have any place in my bag for this new Flow with my good Optos and GLs.

No, I was countering this statement:

discspeed said:

How are the current run GL's? I know a lot of people on here love the first run Optos, but honestly I love my GL and was never able to stock up on those and am a little uneasy about hearing about the current run. I have a 164 Royal Blue one that is perfect for getting my 350-360 ft power out to 375+ and is by far the best driver I have thrown for my power lvl. So anybody thrown the new GL's at all?

weedjj said:
How are the current run GL's? I know a lot of people on here love the first run Optos, but honestly I love my GL and was never able to stock up on those and am a little uneasy about hearing about the current run. I have a 164 Royal Blue one that is perfect for getting my 350-360 ft power out to 375+ and is by far the best driver I have thrown for my power lvl. So anybody thrown the new GL's at all?

It seems like every color on the GL is a little different, but I'm currently throwing a newer run of GLs as I lost all my original silver ones and they fly great. This run I'm using is a hideous purply-brown color, but it's swirly and I kind of like it's organic ugliness. They do suck to find in the rough though.

how do the flat flows fly compared to the domey ones? i have a pink 169g domey opto that i like the flight on. flies like a beat OLF. and a lil more stable than the archons.

Its definitely controllable but yes its flipper than the domies. I carry a3 flows. 1 flat goldline,1 seasoned opto and one fresh opto. The gl is still flippier than my seasoned opto. Like I said though,its not bad flippy tho like say a vulcan or pro katana. Id compare my flat gl to a new star archon maybe. I havnt seen any flat optos yet though. My seasoned opto is getting flatter but its still got a moderate dome on it