• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Houston, TX to Cincinnati, OH and back

jsc430

Double Eagle Member
On Thursday July 22nd me, my dg buddy, and my gf are packing it all in a small sedan and making a 2500 mile round trip voyage from Houston, TX to Cincinnati, OH and back. I have training for work in Cinci on July 27 and 28, and the idea is to spend 4 days getting there - playing disc golf and seeing a few sights on the way. Since its imperative that I get there on time we will only be playing one or maybe two course a day depending on how many miles we have to cover that day.

With that being said our goal is to hit the top course in each state that we pass through. As a base gauge we are using the ratings on this website but, we are also considering your valued opinion. In some instances, bagging the # 1 course is not going to happen due to shear distances and time constraints so we will improvise with another highly rated course.

I'm really interested in your opinion on the courses we have chosen but also any suggestions as to other course we may have left off. Also any tips on the courses we have chosen such as, the conditions and/or a general idea of how long it takes to play each course. If you have an idea or comment on a non-DG activity along the way, I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks in advance!

Here's our plan so far:

Day 1 – Houston, TX to Jackson, MS
• Lake Bistineau SP (Shreveport, LA)
• Ross Barnett Reservoir: The Rez (Jackson, MS)

Day 2 – Jackson, MS to Bowling Green, KY
• Bud Hill (Memphis, TN)

Day 3 – Bowling Green, KY to Cincinnati, OH
• Holler in the Hills (Brownsville, TN)

Day 4 – Cinci Area
• Idlewild
• Lincoln Ridge Park

Day 5, 6, & 7
• I will be sitting in front of a computer screen for new software training:wall:
• My buddy and gf are planning to play Mt. Airy Forest and spend a day at King's Island
• We'll drive non-stop from Cinci to St. Louis on the evening of Day 7 so we will be passing some great courses in IN and IL but unfortunately, won't have time to stop:mad:

Day 8 – St. Louis, MO
• Gateway Arch, Anheuser-Busch Tour
• Sioux Passage

Day 9 – St. Louis, MO – Little Rock, AR
• Horseshoe Canyon Ranch (Jasper, AR)
• (we could head straight for Little Rock here and play the Burns courses)

Day 10 – Little Rock, AR to Houston, TX

• We'll drive non-stop from Cinci to St. Louis on the evening of Day 7 so we will be passing some great courses in IN and IL but unfortunately, won't have time to stop:mad:

That sucks man. There are so many 4 disc courses in that stretch it's ridiculous. You're gonna miss out on Charlie Vettiner in Louisville, Fun Farm in Lanesville, IN, Old English Golf Course set on a ball golf course in English, IN, Patoka Lake, Mesker Park in Evansville, IN and I've heard great things about Foundation Park in Centrilla, IL.

There's no home boy bias going on here, these are solid courses. So if things changes and you get some extra time I would strongly recommend checking out some of these courses.

If you need to grab some dinner on the way to St. Louis we have the best brewery and pizzeria less than 10 minutes out of your way as soon as you cross into Indiana. Their deep dish pizza rivals anything I've had in Chicago :thmbup:

New Albanian Brewing Company, aka Sportstime, aka Richo's Public House
3312 Plaza Drive
New Albany, IN 47150
(812) 944-2577

Get an early start on day 4. Play Lincoln Ridge first and as early as possible. It's not as much of a work out as Idlewild is but it's 24 holes and lots of up and down. The course is popular so there will be less people there in the morning.
Before heading to Idlewild get something to eat and rest up a bit before playing the second round.
Enjoy, sounds like a great trip.

That sucks man. There are so many 4 disc courses in that stretch it's ridiculous. You're gonna miss out on Charlie Vettiner in Louisville, Fun Farm in Lanesville, IN, Old English Golf Course set on a ball golf course in English, IN, Patoka Lake, Mesker Park in Evansville, IN and I've heard great things about Foundation Park in Centrilla, IL.

There's no home boy bias going on here, these are solid courses. So if things changes and you get some extra time I would strongly recommend checking out some of these courses.

If you need to grab some dinner on the way to St. Louis we have the best brewery and pizzeria less than 10 minutes out of your way as soon as you cross into Indiana. Their deep dish pizza rivals anything I've had in Chicago :thmbup:

New Albanian Brewing Company, aka Sportstime, aka Richo's Public House
3312 Plaza Drive
New Albany, IN 47150
(812) 944-2577

I'm really gonna have to think about adding a day in here and playing one in IL and one in IN. We looked close at patoka. Don't know much about the others, I'll have to check them out.

Pizzzza and beer..I'll def look into to stoping in, I love to support local brewers. Thanks for the help.

Get an early start on day 4. Play Lincoln Ridge first and as early as possible. It's not as much of a work out as Idlewild is but it's 24 holes and lots of up and down. The course is popular so there will be less people there in the morning.
Before heading to Idlewild get something to eat and rest up a bit before playing the second round.
Enjoy, sounds like a great trip.

OK thanks, will take the advice. So Lincoln Ridge is more crowded than Idlewild?

OK thanks, will take the advice. So Lincoln Ridge is more crowded than Idlewild?

This is true 90% of the time. LR is a great course, there's been a course in that park for longer than I've been playing disc golf (The old course was up the road) so it's a well known course. The up keep is fantastic also, a small bridge was taken out by a storm recently and the park had it fixed in a couple days. It's worth playing any time of the day but I think it's better when less people are there.

^^^ Thanks, I'm really looking foward to both. I think we may play the two best courses of the trip in one day.

Has anyone played Hiller in the Hills? Its the only private ocurse we are going to so i was hoping for any info about scheduling a round (i see the phone # the on course page) or the owner. I heard this course is kinda hard to find.

Lincoln Ridge is fantastic all the time, but my favorite time to play is early. Definitely listen to the advice and rest up and eat before Idlewild. Lincoln Ridge will take about 2 hours, Idlewild takes 2.5 to 3.5 hours.

Last edited:
^^^^ Thanks, sounds like a meal is def in order between LR and Idlewild.

Suggestions for a good place to eat in southern Cincinnati?

There's a nice deli on the way to Idlewild and I believe they've sponsored some disc golf.
When you leave the park you'll take the winding road back to Turkeyfoot, turn right and go to Industrial Rd (Rt 1829) and turn left. That will dead end on Rt 42. (btw, this is the way to get to Idlewild from LR also). The deli I'm thinking about should be across the street from that stop light on Rt 42. Sorry I forget the name of the place. It's a medium size place, very casual. If you can't find that there will be plenty of places on the way.
Try one of the chili parlors Cincinnati is known for. Gold Star Chili is the best, imo. Not the healthiest but sure taste good.

If you want a nice dinner that will cost more money find out where Montgomery Inn is. One is right off the exit of Buttermilk Pike. That's one exit north of I-275 off of I-75. This is all real close to the courses you'll be playing.

There's a nice deli on the way to Idlewild and I believe they've sponsored some disc golf.
When you leave the park you'll take the winding road back to Turkeyfoot, turn right and go to Industrial Rd (Rt 1829) and turn left. That will dead end on Rt 42. (btw, this is the way to get to Idlewild from LR also). The deli I'm thinking about should be across the street from that stop light on Rt 42. Sorry I forget the name of the place. It's a medium size place, very casual. If you can't find that there will be plenty of places on the way.
Try one of the chili parlors Cincinnati is known for. Gold Star Chili is the best, imo. Not the healthiest but sure taste good.

If you want a nice dinner that will cost more money find out where Montgomery Inn is. One is right off the exit of Buttermilk Pike. That's one exit north of I-275 off of I-75. This is all real close to the courses you'll be playing.

While I'm a Skyline man myself, I will agree that a chili parlor is a good stop in town. There is even a Gold Star on KY18 that you'll pass on the way. They sponsor a lot of our local events, too. :thmbup: If you don't feel like it between rounds, Gold Star and Skyline are as prevalent as McDonald's in the area.

As for Montgomery Inn, I would suggest you set your GPS for Walt's Hitching Post on KY17 instead (not a fan of Montgomery Inn's sauce but will admit they are the local favorite so you can't go wrong). It's within 30 minutes of both LR and Idle, too.

I didn't want to step on Jay Dub's toes, just wanted to throw a couple more options out there. Good luck in your road trip. It's a shame you don't have more time to spend in Bowling Green and the surrounding area. There are some incredible courses in the BG/Lexington/Louisville area. There's always next time!

I might be able to meet you at the REZ and guide you around. Pm me if you are interested.

While I'm a Skyline man myself, I will agree that a chili parlor is a good stop in town. There is even a Gold Star on KY18 that you'll pass on the way. They sponsor a lot of our local events, too. :thmbup: If you don't feel like it between rounds, Gold Star and Skyline are as prevalent as McDonald's in the area.

As for Montgomery Inn, I would suggest you set your GPS for Walt's Hitching Post on KY17 instead (not a fan of Montgomery Inn's sauce but will admit they are the local favorite so you can't go wrong). It's within 30 minutes of both LR and Idle, too.

I didn't want to step on Jay Dub's toes, just wanted to throw a couple more options out there. Good luck in your road trip. It's a shame you don't have more time to spend in Bowling Green and the surrounding area. There are some incredible courses in the BG/Lexington/Louisville area. There's always next time!
No problem, there are a lot of good places to eat in the area.
Walt's Hitching Post is nice, or Pompilios in Newport, where the toothpicks scene in Rain Man was filmed, has good Italian food.

Dee Felice down in covington has some really good cajun food and live jazz. Is it a crime that I've lived in this area for my whole life (30 years), and never been to Pompilios?

look me up when you come through st.l and hit sioux passage!

if i'm doing the math right, you'll be coming through on the 30th, which is a friday, and as long as you get here after 4pm, i can show you around!

shoot me a pm wether or not i've got the timeline correct. if i can't be there, i can probably get the course captain to show you around.

look me up when you come through st.l and hit sioux passage!

if i'm doing the math right, you'll be coming through on the 30th, which is a friday, and as long as you get here after 4pm, i can show you around!

shoot me a pm wether or not i've got the timeline correct. if i can't be there, i can probably get the course captain to show you around.

As its planned now, we would spend thursday the 29th in St. L but we are seriously considering adding a day to get a course in both IN and IL. I'll keep you posted, we'd love to have a course guide.

either way, thursday or friday, i can show you around sioux as long as it's after 4 (maybe even 3).

Bonus: there's a GREAT course in illinois only 25 min or so away from sioux passage, rocksprings park in alton. if that's all the southern leg of your trip, we can start in alton, then head south to sioux, then it's just a short shot from sioux back to the highway.

I am local to the Burns Park courses in North Little Rock so I could show you around them. Also, going from Little Rock back to Houston, if you take I30 you can stop at Hot Springs to play Cedar Glades which was designed by John Houck. I haven't played it, but I plan on it pretty soon.