• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] How is GStar Rhyno

punch

Bogey Member
Anyone try out the new GStar rhyno? Is it similar to xg champions? Impressions on it?

I've not thrown the Rhino, but I've thrown a handful of other GStar discs. Each of those were less stable than their Star counterparts. I'd assume Rhynos continue that trend. Also probably pretty soft.

I am absolutely loving it. It is great for pinpoint control when driving and it sticks to the chains incredibly well. I cannot compare it to other Rhynos because my experience is limited, but of the Rhynos I do remember throwing, I am enjoying the GStar far more.

I've not thrown the Rhino, but I've thrown a handful of other GStar discs. Each of those were less stable than their Star counterparts. I'd assume Rhynos continue that trend. Also probably pretty soft.

Not completely true. GStar Leopards and Roadrunners have a touch more stability than their Star counterparts. If anything, it seems the more stable the Star inherently is, the less stable GStar is (while still being stable to overstable). Conversely, it seems that the less stable a Star disc inherently is, such as Leopards and Roadrunners, the more stable it will be in GStar. For every mold of GStar I have thrown, the general rule of thumb seems to be that GStar has moved the mold closer to true stability.

I have not thrown the Sidewinder, Tern, or Daedalus, so I am not going to go as far as saying all molds hold to my observation.

Even the Roc3 which initially seemed more stable than a normal Star Roc3 did not hold that extra stability long and I find that it is now, after two weeks, on par with my Champion Roc3s.

Mine is new but it's flying like a slightly more stable R-Pro, probably closer to the Pros they have in the pro shop.

It doesn't flop on the ground quite like the R-Pros but it's definitely less stable and skips less than any champ I've thrown.

As far as I'm concerned it's perfect and expect it to beat in to a nice sweet spot. If you like Rhynos I have a feeling you will like this disc.

Nope. They're stable. And they have decent glide, and grip. The only downside I see to them is the sharp flashing on the bottom. But definitely a great addition to my bag

Hmm now i have to try one. I was concerned with them being domey and not being os. I never liked star rhynos so i was already hesitant about gstar.

It would not be the first time I've had to sand down flashing... I don't see that as a downside unless I can't find sandpaper, or a file, maybe a kitchen knife.. or a sharp rock. Man I didn't want to hear about this but morbid curiousity got the better of me. I'm gonna forget I read this and keep playing with that Envy, that showed up, last week, with some other discs.

Not completely true. GStar Leopards and Roadrunners have a touch more stability than their Star counterparts. If anything, it seems the more stable the Star inherently is, the less stable GStar is (while still being stable to overstable). Conversely, it seems that the less stable a Star disc inherently is, such as Leopards and Roadrunners, the more stable it will be in GStar. For every mold of GStar I have thrown, the general rule of thumb seems to be that GStar has moved the mold closer to true stability.

I have not thrown the Sidewinder, Tern, or Daedalus, so I am not going to go as far as saying all molds hold to my observation.

Even the Roc3 which initially seemed more stable than a normal Star Roc3 did not hold that extra stability long and I find that it is now, after two weeks, on par with my Champion Roc3s.

G-star Leopards are more uinderstable than star leopards.

G-star Leopards are more uinderstable than star leopards.

Not the ones I have been throwing. Granted they are close, but I trust GStar a little more than my Stars to not do something stupid. I am comparing 175 strictly to 175, so I do not if they makes a difference or not. Maybe we can chalk it up to different styles of throwing as well, but I have been observing a tick more high speed stability out of my GStars.

I quit throwing rhynos because I loved the old se and pro line and they became too expensive to throw so I moved on to other discs. The 3 GStars I have are the closest thing I've had (other than some specific gum champs) to my old beloved pro lines. With these GStars only being $15 I am back to throwing them. I just love the way the thumbtrac feels.

I quit throwing rhynos because I loved the old se and pro line and they became too expensive to throw so I moved on to other discs. The 3 GStars I have are the closest thing I've had (other than some specific gum champs) to my old beloved pro lines. With these GStars only being $15 I am back to throwing them. I just love the way the thumbtrac feels.

I totally agree with how they feel in the hand, especially the trac. I wanted to love the Champ XGs that I had last year but for the lack of a better explanation, they felt clunky and glideless. These GStars are fantastic. I will not go as far as saying I am a fanboy, but I definitely recommend GStar for most of their available molds.

The G* sharp flashing will come off easily. Just rub it on the bench at the tee box. Lay it flat on the wood bench and make 3-4 circles with light pressure and the sharp edge was gone! The Gstar is a San Marino tooling. It's not as stable as a glass top Ontario. I would say its equal to a nice fresh pro Rhyno or a seasoned champion. It holds a line well with a stable finish. Mine went straight into the bag...

I think I may have asked this on one of these threads, but don't remember the answer.

I love the rhyno.

I throw ontario DX and the pro line from the factory store, they are all board flat if not a little concave.

has anyone found FLAT G* rhynos stock with no "flat topping" or modifying the flght plate?

I personally don't like the champ/stars that I've seen, they're all very domey.

from what I understand this is because of the current san merino tooling?

if they're coming out flat innova just took even more money from me..

Last edited:
Maybe we can chalk it up to different styles of throwing as well, but I have been observing a tick more high speed stability out of my GStars.

I think I would add that the g* is more stable if thrown at full power or above for the Leo's rating speed which is the proper way to throw any disc, with rare exception, that ranges over 250-275'.

Thrown less than the rated speed, star and g* seem the same to me.

The Rhynos did come pretty flat, not pancake flat, but flatter than any other production Rhynos I've seen recently