• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need a Ruling

Regardless of the rules, I think your behavior here is ridiculous. How about winning by playing better than the other guy, instead of relying on technicalities to inflate his score?[/B]

Dude, calm down. I brought it up as a discussion because it seems like a gray area in the rules. I wasn't trying to "beat the guy by...inflating his score" It's silly to even accuse me of that. I have ZERO control over another players score and to think otherwise would be...well dumb.

Insisting that players play by the rules is sanctioned events has been a no-brainer in every tourney I have ever played. I'm not crying about where he or I finished in the tournament, that doesn't matter. It brought up some discussion on the course, friendly discussion at that, and so I thought I would pose the question here.

It was the part about "Consciously altering the course of a thrown disc" being a two stroke penalty that got us all to talking. We decided on the course that there wasn't anything that clearly stated that there was an infraction so we left it at a warning...and YES, I will call someone on that. You can't go around not marking your lie in sanctioned tournaments, plain and simple.

Dude, calm down. I brought it up as a discussion because it seems like a gray area in the rules. I wasn't trying to "beat the guy by...inflating his score" It's silly to even accuse me of that. I have ZERO control over another players score and to think otherwise would be...well dumb.

Insisting that players play by the rules is sanctioned events has been a no-brainer in every tourney I have ever played. I'm not crying about where he or I finished in the tournament, that doesn't matter. It brought up some discussion on the course, friendly discussion at that, and so I thought I would pose the question here.

It was the part about "Consciously altering the course of a thrown disc" being a two stroke penalty that got us all to talking. We decided on the course that there wasn't anything that clearly stated that there was an infraction so we left it at a warning...and YES, I will call someone on that. You can't go around not marking your lie in sanctioned tournaments, plain and simple.

I'm perfectly calm. I just think that Spirit of the Game should preclude you from doing stuff like this. He didn't go against the rules to gain an advantage. I am well aware that I am in the minority of disc golfers who care about SOTG though, since it's mostly a concept from Ultimate.

I've played in tournaments where a player does this on every putt out by the basket. I'm not about to be "That Guy" that calls him out for not laying a mini when he is a foot from the basket.

What happened to just saying "hey man, you gotta mark your disc before you pick it up"? I did that quite a bit when I played Int. Some people don't know the rules but aren't trying to violate them on purpose.

What happened to just saying "hey man, you gotta mark your disc before you pick it up"? I did that quite a bit when I played Int. Some people don't know the rules but aren't trying to violate them on purpose.

That is what would happen around here and it seems completely appropriate to me.

In casual play, picking up your disc from two feet and waving at the chains is acceptable. I'm over 50. If I'm close enough to drop it in, I might ask someone to pick it up for me.
In a tourney, you mark your disc. Someone used the term "rules nazi"; no, I don't want to be a rules nazi. I think the warning was appropriate. He did not gain any advantage by his actions.

In the tourney I played this weekend, one of the players marked his disc and brushed the chains. I didn't call him on it. It was the last round and he was waaaaay in last place. He gained no advantage and didn't do it again. He was just mad and had his mind on something else. And like I said, he didn't do it again. I didn't say anything to him.
No purpose. No reason, unless you're a rules nazi.
I'd rather win or lose on my play, not on harrassment.

You're not wrong, 1854. You're just an a55hole

You guys and your words. Whatever happened to giving the guy an old fashioned bitch-slap to send the message "Hey, buddy...mark your lie or else"? Sheesh.

You don't have to mark it, just stand behind your thrown disc and drop another into the bucket.

Exactly.

I'm surprised at all these players on here that don't follow basic rules during tournament play. Then go on to call someone an a-hole or nazi when someone enforced a rule. What a joke.

Got Mad, walked up, picked up his disc without marking the lie and placed it in the basket from 2 feet away and then walked to the next hole...IN TOURNAMENT PLAY.
I think people are overlooking the more important part of this incident "for tournament play" which isn't the lack of marking the drop-in lie but "getting mad resulting in not marking the lie." The lack of courteous behavior would be more of the reason for a penalty "in tournament play" than the marking issue. If a player casually goes up to drop in a "gimme" in tournament play, I might say something but not officially warn the player. But this incident sounds different with the anger issue also involved.

Exactly Cgkdisc. All I did was say something.

Calling me an a55hole and a retard...childish.

I can't believe I'm being dogged for enforcing the rules in a sanctioned event. Again, calling him out was all very casual. Not a big deal at all. He knew the rules well and was actually the one who made the warning official by seconding it but whatever.

I didn't come out and say "HEY! THAT'S A WARNING FOR NOT MARKING YOUR LIE!" Nothing could be further from the truth.

Who care's. The discussion about the rules never materialized here so I'm just going to drop it.

Last edited:
Wow. It is things like this that make me glad I don't play tournaments.

Wow. It is things like this that make me glad I don't play tournaments.

My thoughts exactly.

Also, was he the last one on the hole? Was anyone else due to throw after he attempted his missed put? If he was the last one on the hole, then I am further mindboggled by the micro management of the rules.