• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need help buying my first warp speed driver

I want to buy a speed 12-13 disc and give it a whirl. I'm comfortable and confident in my game with teebirds and wraiths but I'm also curious. My biggest concern is consistency. I've heard its next to impossible to find two star destroyers that fly the same and that different nuke plastics give drastic flight differences. I'm really curious about Lat. 64 drivers and would appreciate any input on the Havoc, Bolt, or Halo.

About myself:

I throw my DX teebird on a flat release in the 350+ range

I recently lost my Star Wraith but currently have a 170g Pro. Before the loss it was close to broken in and I was turning it over on a flat release, 350+ range.

Thanks for reading

Halo's are iffy, I love them but it took awhile going through a stack to find the ones that where not really overstable. If you can find a yellow domey gold line and take the flashing off I think you might enjoy it. The rims are also shallower than say a destroyer and some other warp speeds. Idk much about the havoc but the bolt is great too, I use it for long glidey turnovers. Mabye try a blizzard boss those are fun and easy to get some d out of them.

Destroyers are pretty much the standard to which all other high speed drivers are compared. All high speed drivers seem prone to a lot of molding inconsistency, even Destroyers, but a good Star Destroyer is the best of all worlds in terms of predictable flight pattern, good glide/big D, and reasonable durability. A Blizzard Destroyer might be worth checking out too.

Borrow some from your friends and throw them. Find the one that you like. My big driver is a Halo (I prefer the grip), but star Destroyers worked well for me too. I carry the Flow for shots requiring less stability. I've thrown a lot of different discs and I still experiment (it's part of the fun). Find what works for you and go with it.

Katana is my absolute favorite because of the different lines I can put it on. It's understable enough for me to be able to finesse it and turn it over, but it's stable enough to not turn-n-burn(unless there's a 15mph headwind).

Get the fastest most stable one you can find. Then discover that you hate it, so you'll never want to throw a warp speed driver again. Then buy more teebirds.

I throw a Halo and Bolt. Halo flies a lot like a destroyer, but with a little more glide. It also has a "plus-style" rim. I have a flat opto one, which seems to be the way to go for them. I know nothing about Halos in GL plastic, but it you get an Opto, get a flatter one with lower PLH.
I also have an Opto Bolt. It's like a Katana, but with more turn and glide. It also has a short, hard fade very late in it's flight.
I've not thrown a Havoc, but everyone complains about them being either too beefy, or flippy as a paper plate. I wouldn't buy one unless it was in person and I knew exactly what to look for.
A cheaper alternative to the Halo would be the Gateway Slayer. It is also very destroyer-like.

Halo flies a lot like a destroyer, but with a little more glide. It also has a "plus-style" rim. I have a flat opto one, which seems to be the way to go for them. I know nothing about Halos in GL plastic, but it you get an Opto, get a flatter one with lower PLH.

I've not thrown a Havoc, but everyone complains about them being either too beefy, or flippy as a paper plate. I wouldn't buy one unless it was in person and I knew exactly what to look for.

I have three Halos. My Opto is flat topped and money predictable. Both of my GL Halos are too. I've never thrown a Halo I didn't like.

I also have a couple of GL Havocs. I wouldn't recommend it as a "go to" big driver because of its lack of dependability against the wind. I carry it "for certain shots", but I wouldn't replace them if I lost them.

As stated, star destroyers are awesome. If you don't like them you might try a champ boss. I use it to compliment my wraith

Im also going to put in a vote for a halo. My gold line halo isn't the most stable halo I've ever thrown, but it glides for a really long time. With that said, I just picked up a westside king in tourney plastic that dare I say feels a little like CE. Never felt anything like it from them.

P Katana and S Wraith are my go-to drivers, but I also have 2 S Destroyers for some occasions[one of them a bright baby blue for heavy woods].

Star destroyers are the standart.

If you want to make it easier on yourself, get some Z nukes. Greatest disc ever.

Groove :) Just kidding... but really, Destroyers are great but I would go with the Katana for your first one. They will bomb even for people with not as much distance. Not saying you don't have distance, just speaking from my experience. Destroyer would be a good overstable compliment to the Katana though. Pro plastic for both is good for starting out but Star Destroyers are best in the long run.

I've played around with quite a few uberspeed drivers and while I'm currently favoring a beat star boss, I DID love the Halo. I found a grey GL Halo with VIET stamped on the bottom (no number) on top of a basket at BAP disc golf and loved it. Unfortunately I got a little too ballsy with it and lost it in the river at Bellamy Park. Had a love affair with a star Katana as well (lost it in the same spot) due to the ease of throwing it for distance and the crazy lines it would hold. You can throw those things hard and they'll pull far right, but then with the right timing on the slow down it will fade just as far back from whence it came.

Latest posts