• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Is there a beadless Comet?

I've never thrown a comet, can somebody explain to me what the magic around this disc is all about?
For reference the mids I have are. Z Buzz SS, Z Meteor, * Foxbat, * Rancho Roc, DX Roc3, DX Classic Roc, Suspect, DX Polecat, * Wedge.

One thing that can be said about the Comet, it doesn't hit the ground, it comes in for a landing.

It probably sounds cheesy but watch some MJ tourney footage and watch him throw a Comet. He has the type of control over it that showcases what it can do.

As far as the topic goes I like to use a Pure in lieu of the Comet most often.

One thing that can be said about the Comet, it doesn't hit the ground, it comes in for a landing.

:hfive:

That sounds like it could be a line from those Dos Equis commercials with the most interesting man in the world.

I've never thrown a comet, can somebody explain to me what the magic around this disc is all about?
For reference the mids I have are. Z Buzz SS, Z Meteor, * Foxbat, * Rancho Roc, DX Roc3, DX Classic Roc, Suspect, DX Polecat, * Wedge.

The comet is most comparable to your polecat. Polecats aren't mids.

Comets are workable across a large power range and incredibly neutral across that range. They fly far, they glide well, they hold every line you can think of unless you're really crushing it.

Have you ever thrown out in the open with no real reference points for distance and then been mind****ed by your disc as it appears to sit in the same spot in the air because it's going so straight? It just totally screws your depth perception. Comet and Polecats execute that shot pretty easily.

Last edited:

Rumor has it that Sarah McLachlan wrote Angel directly after seeing the flight of a Comet.

There is some evidence that JRR Tolkien was inspired to write The Hobbit after watching his Comet's magical floaty glide across the River Thames at Oxford.

Eh its fine. People here get way too excited over it honestly.

A comet wont do anything magical for you at all. If anything most people i know who have tried one were not a fan of its profile and flight was whatever. Not the easiest disc to tame on longer mid lines without good form.

Rumor has it that Sarah McLachlan wrote Angel directly after seeing the flight of a Comet.

There is some evidence that JRR Tolkien was inspired to write The Hobbit after watching his Comet's magical floaty glide across the River Thames at Oxford.

Lol. Inspiring my creativity here, people... but I'll resist.

In response to A4tC, I suppose I disagree but also think it's silly to be peer pressured into buying or liking a disc. A Comet rewards good form and a good throw as well as or better than any other disc, especially in woodsy areas with a relatively high canopy. I'm sure there are other discs out there that come close for these shots, but I disagree that Comets won't do magic for you...

The slightly awkward feel is easy enough to get used to, but what still bugs me about Comets (and Polecats, for that matter), is the strange way they fit in the bag.

In response to A4tC, I suppose I disagree but also think it's silly to be peer pressured into buying or liking a disc. A Comet rewards good form and a good throw as well as or better than any other disc, especially in woodsy areas with a relatively high canopy. I'm sure there are other discs out there that come close for these shots, but I disagree that Comets won't do magic for you...

You make a good point: some people love the Comet and it does "magic" for them. For others, there are other discs that are their "magic" discs. Whatever works is what one should use, peer pressure notwithstanding.

Lol. Inspiring my creativity here, people... but I'll resist.

The slightly awkward feel is easy enough to get used to, but what still bugs me about Comets (and Polecats, for that matter), is the strange way they fit in the bag.

Dont get me wrong the comet is a historic mold really which has lasted many years in old and new players bags. I was just bringing the hyperbole back down to earth. Lots of similar molds for players which can show the same form problems as well as fly multiple lines etc.

Ive never had problems with how a disc feels but people can be pretty weird about it in DG so the weird profile IMO is a big factor. Its why you have buzzz and roc peeps :) some might even go against DGCR rules and bag both!:eek:

All discs (well okay most...) are magical in the air. Thats the damn best part of disc golf! 2016 gives us a whole lot of wands to whirl. :hfive:

Peer pressure is not necessarily a bad thing, gives one a chance to try what the other kids rave about and then decide for your self if it fits.

I wouldn't call the Comet "magical", I would however call it one of the most "rewarding" discs/mids to throw. Nothing makes me happier than knowing I threw a perfectly clean shot and the Comet shows that. Yesterday I parked a 370' downhill tunnel shot through the wood and took a birdie (first time for that dang hole) with a smooth hyzer-flip. Second round didn't get the birdie, but I again got it down the tunnel and within 50ft.

I originally tried one on all the recommendations and hated it, sold it, (I was just trying to be a stubborn outlier who really did suck). Tried again a year later, took it out for field work with my other discs, started to bag one and stuck with it, now I own 5 of them and bag 2. A nicely domed ESP and a flat ESP. I know most guys don't like the flat ones, but this is my main forehand and short touch shot disc. Doesn't fly as far as the domed one, but handles wind better and is a laser on a Hyzer-flip.

Try one, buy an "X".

A former Comet hater no more.

Eh its fine. People here get way too excited over it honestly.

A comet wont do anything magical for you at all. If anything most people i know who have tried one were not a fan of its profile and flight was whatever. Not the easiest disc to tame on longer mid lines without good form.

You would not say that if you've ever seen a comet thrown on a mild hyzer angle, hold the hyzer angle, yet stay perfectly straight in flight. Yes, I have seen comets seemingly defy the laws of physics. :cool:

Try one, buy an "X".

Reading through this thread, I think a lot of people missed this point. It sounds like people are trying to replicate a Z comet which is considerably more HSS than the x, tp, or esp versions. Z comets are great and I have one in my bag currently, but when I hear "comet replacement" I think elite x or TP.

Honestly love the Comet for cleaning up my form after winter hibernation or when I hit a slump I will switch to Comet/Roc rounds. But now that my game is back to season form I really would rather throw a putter for the comet shots. Atm it is a Judge. Stable putters will always be the truest stable discs you will ever throw. Just through nature of design and aerodynamics. One thing I have learned by playing with others much better than me, learn to throw your putters. And they will take any amount of power, in any windy condition, and ride on whatever line you put them on.

A little bit slower and more expensive, but a champ Aero might be close to a beadless comet.

Haha I got caught up in my ramble on the comet and forgot to answer the question....as far as a beadless comet goes the closest thing I have found would be a Gold Flying Squirrel from ABC discs. It is a teensy bit more US, but prob the closest thing to a comet that is not a comet in the mid range area. Than in the putter world I would suggest a Pure or a Nova as the beadless counterparts.

So from my Comet experience all the different plastic fly different just like all discs. The Elite X is super understable and the Glow Z is pretty stable. I personally throw Elite X, ESP, and Big Z with the Big Z being my favorite. The disc that I think comes close is unfortunately OOP, that disc is the Innova XD. The Champ Glows are stable and the Bullet stamps are the flippy ones. Star XDs are going for $150 but they fly like ESP IMO. Its not a very viable replacement since the disc is OOP so my post is pointless hahaha

Finally got myself a Meteor to test. It's a Z Meteor at 176g. First, it's the most comfortable mid I've ever held with a BH grip. It did seem a little bit faster than my Comets and that's why I thought it was more stable at first. Once I got the speed dialed down I was able to hit nearly identical lines as my Comets. Not saying it's a beadless Comet but I think it's as close as I'll get.

I just picked up an Atlas last month and I am shocked at the flight. Amazingly straight, able to be hyzer flipped easily, can hold lines very well, and has great glide. Sure, they look stupid, but I was able to get one that didn't offend me too much, and I've been bagging it since. It will likely make the permanent bag for the summer.

It's a beadless large diameter mid with a very staight flight. Not as understable as a Comet, but great control. As much as I cringe saying this about Innova, I'd strongly suggest trying one.

If you're looking for a more understable beadless mid, I highly, HIGHLY recommend looking into a Prodigy M4. For a couple years now, a 750 M4 has been a staple of my bag. Tunnel shots and turnovers mostly, but it's crazy how straight you can get it to fly with next to no fade at the end on a hyzer flip, and turns over easily for a left-to-right (RHBH) that flattens out and settles nicely without coming back to fully hyzer at finish. Moreover, the 750 plastic molds up super flat with a firm Star feel. Beautiful understable mid.

This guy knows what he's taking about with the M4. It was the first disc I thought of. When I first started throwing an M4 my thought was "M4 is the new Comet." Not exactly but its what I've always thought of.

Beadless, a little bit understable, straight, goes left, goes right, glides, can be very long.

Pretty much what you are looking for imho. I like 400g plastic.

This guy knows what he's taking about with the M4. It was the first disc I thought of. When I first started throwing an M4 my thought was "M4 is the new Comet." Not exactly but its what I've always thought of.

Beadless, a little bit understable, straight, goes left, goes right, glides, can be very long.

Pretty much what you are looking for imho. I like 400g plastic.

Must.....stop.....buying new discs......:wall: