• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Kastaplast Berg

K3 berg is probably my number one approach disc out to 200'. It's just too consistent to not throw.

I'm moving in this direction except for FH hyzer I'm still going with Pig or Caiman depending on my mood.

I'm now throwing my K1 on this 285' downhill hole, too (A position). Perfect distance control.

5749b61b4999f01d956159c68c8a4106_m_8KJ0qc3n1U5arrD0aFbkciBqPzbk.jpg

So can someone explain to me about these New Bergs? I have two K1 regular Bergs. And their amazing, but am interested in the new K3 hard. I'm also wondering if ALL the new Bergs have the new flight #s of 1/0/1/2? My K1 is fairly OS at 1/0/1/3, and would love a Berg that has a touch more glide, and less fade. Straighter overall

So are all the new Bergs K1, K2, K3, K3hard etc 1/0/1/2? Or just the new K3 hard? Or what?

And what is the feel and shape like of the new K3 hard compared to a 2yr old K1? I have a few K3 Rekos and only would like that for my putting putter. It's too soft and dings up too easy to be a good throwing disc for approaches. So I'm not so sure I want a K3 hard, but I am interested.

My K1 Bergs are very oddly shaped discs. They have a large puddle edge, but then it raises back up in the middle. Then it has a huge flat leading edge. But it looks like the K3 Bergs are a little more of a normal disc shape? Less of that odd Berg shape? But not sure, since I've never held or seen one in person.

So can someone explain to me about these New Bergs? I have two K1 regular Bergs. And their amazing, but am interested in the new K3 hard. I'm also wondering if ALL the new Bergs have the new flight #s of 1/0/1/2? My K1 is fairly OS at 1/0/1/3, and would love a Berg that has a touch more glide, and less fade. Straighter overall

So are all the new Bergs K1, K2, K3, K3hard etc 1/0/1/2? Or just the new K3 hard? Or what?

And what is the feel and shape like of the new K3 hard compared to a 2yr old K1? I have a few K3 Rekos and only would like that for my putting putter. It's too soft and dings up too easy to be a good throwing disc for approaches. So I'm not so sure I want a K3 hard, but I am interested.

My K1 Bergs are very oddly shaped discs. They have a large puddle edge, but then it raises back up in the middle. Then it has a huge flat leading edge. But it looks like the K3 Bergs are a little more of a normal disc shape? Less of that odd Berg shape? But not sure, since I've never held or seen one in person.

Maybe some of your questions could be answered by clarifying that the numbers are actually 1/1/0/2 - no change or update in the flight numbers since release. The K3 Hard plastic is the only thing new about the Berg lately. They mold up very similar to standard K3 - flat top, about the same as most K1s (although some can get a littler domier). All Bergs come from the same mold, so there are no major differences other than K2/K1 Soft often have a bit more of a center dome to them most likely due to the way that plastic cools compared to others.

K3 - either standard or hard will both start out about the same stability as K1, but you can work them in straighter fairly quickly. K2/K1 Soft is my favorite plastic by far for approaching with the Berg.

Maybe some of your questions could be answered by clarifying that the numbers are actually 1/1/0/2 - no change or update in the flight numbers since release. The K3 Hard plastic is the only thing new about the Berg lately. They mold up very similar to standard K3 - flat top, about the same as most K1s (although some can get a littler domier). All Bergs come from the same mold, so there are no major differences other than K2/K1 Soft often have a bit more of a center dome to them most likely due to the way that plastic cools compared to others.

K3 - either standard or hard will both start out about the same stability as K1, but you can work them in straighter fairly quickly. K2/K1 Soft is my favorite plastic by far for approaching with the Berg.

Yeah, sorry, just mixed up the numbers. I know it's 1/1/0/2, haha.

And that may be so that they all come from the same mold, but the K3's "look" dramatically different in photos online than the K1/K2 Bergs. The K1/K2 has that extreme puddle dip down to the rim from a high dome in the middle. While the K3 looks much flatter on top with only a small little dip down past the rim? Is that correct, or just an optical illusion in the photos?

And my main question was wondering how they all fly compared to each other? I've read a few things on here saying something about a certain plastic of the Berg flies a little less OS than another plastic, and just wondering which plastic that might be? Is that the K3 Berg that flies a little less stable?

Or if anyone can rate them from most OS to least OS as far as the plastic goes? As my K1 is fairly OS. I have to put a tiny bit of anhyzer on it, in order to get a mostly straight flight with minimal fade at the end. And if I throw it flat or slight hyzer, it gets left pretty quick. But it's more of a sweeping hyzer/fade, not a sharp turn.

I would love to find a more neutral Berg with a nice mostly straight flight and a mild fade at the end.

K3 starts the least overstable.

Optical illusion, if anything the dip is larger on K3 than K1/K1 soft aka K2 due to the latter typically having some dome. Every K3 I've held has a flat center, I've never held flat centered K1/K2.

I'm just going to call K1 soft K2 because it's easier IMO and what I'm used to.

I've thrown about a dozen K3, 6-8 K2, and 3-4 K1. To get technical about the stability order I would say opaque (Star looking) K2 is the most overstable, followed by translucent K2. I've only thrown translucent K1 and one K1 Glow, they're right on par with the latter K2...perhaps ever so slightly less overstable. No K3 I've thrown (all brand new) has been as overstable as the premium plastics. Like with every company the K3 beats in the quickest. My main K3 I'm using lost fade but is still quite HSS.

K3 starts the least overstable.

Optical illusion, if anything the dip is larger on K3 than K1/K1 soft aka K2 due to the latter typically having some dome. Every K3 I've held has a flat center, I've never held flat centered K1/K2.

I'm just going to call K1 soft K2 because it's easier IMO and what I'm used to.

I've thrown about a dozen K3, 6-8 K2, and 3-4 K1. To get technical about the stability order I would say opaque (Star looking) K2 is the most overstable, followed by translucent K2. I've only thrown translucent K1 and one K1 Glow, they're right on par with the latter K2...perhaps ever so slightly less overstable. No K3 I've thrown (all brand new) has been as overstable as the premium plastics. Like with every company the K3 beats in the quickest. My main K3 I'm using lost fade but is still quite HSS.

Excellent information! Thank you so much. I'm going to pick up a K3 (if I can even find one in the color/weight I want) then and see how that compares to my K1's. Thanks :thmbup:

Last edited:
So can someone explain to me about these New Bergs? I have two K1 regular Bergs. And their amazing, but am interested in the new K3 hard would love a Berg that has a touch more glide, and less fade. Straighter overall

Flight numbers are the same for each plastic variation, but in my personal experience K3s fly more like 1/0/1/1 once they've been loved over a few rounds of play and tree kicks. Currently bagging a K3 Hard Berg, but haven't beat it in enough yet to tell if the same is true for the new plastic blend. I've never thrown one in K1 Soft, but I bag a K2 which should theoretically be the same expected flight; less stable than K1, but more stable than a beat K3. Overall I find their stability to be, in order of least to most stable: K3, K2/K1 Soft, K1/K1 Regrind/K1 Glow. I know some people have K1 Glows that fly more OS, but I never noticed much difference between those 3 K1 variants; for me they all fly as expected and the 2 fade is reliable.

In regards to dome, I've definitely noticed K2/K1 Soft is more prone to doming up in the middle, but I've seen K1s that do the same just not as regularly. Most K3s I've seen are flat to puddle topped. I love my puddle topped K2 Berg, but don't like throwing K2s with dome; they feel much deeper in my grip compared to puddle tops.

Lastly, K3 Hard feels exactly the same as K3 except it's firmer. I can bend a K3 Berg in my hand and it will have some flex, but K3 Hard is very stiff with little flex. Same feel as K3; overall I've found K3/Hard Bergs feel "smaller" than others; I've noticed the same thing about Rekos, but YMMV. If you're wanting a Berg without that dome in the middle then I'd suggest keeping an eye out on OTB for the next restock; they do a great job of describing the dome/firmness of every disc and it's great knowing what you're gonna get. My first K1 Reko had dome and I really disliked the disc until I got a puddle top K1 Reko that quickly became my favorite disc.

Flight numbers are the same for each plastic variation, but in my personal experience K3s fly more like 1/0/1/1 once they've been loved over a few rounds of play and tree kicks. Currently bagging a K3 Hard Berg, but haven't beat it in enough yet to tell if the same is true for the new plastic blend. I've never thrown one in K1 Soft, but I bag a K2 which should theoretically be the same expected flight; less stable than K1, but more stable than a beat K3. Overall I find their stability to be, in order of least to most stable: K3, K2/K1 Soft, K1/K1 Regrind/K1 Glow. I know some people have K1 Glows that fly more OS, but I never noticed much difference between those 3 K1 variants; for me they all fly as expected and the 2 fade is reliable.

In regards to dome, I've definitely noticed K2/K1 Soft is more prone to doming up in the middle, but I've seen K1s that do the same just not as regularly. Most K3s I've seen are flat to puddle topped. I love my puddle topped K2 Berg, but don't like throwing K2s with dome; they feel much deeper in my grip compared to puddle tops.

Lastly, K3 Hard feels exactly the same as K3 except it's firmer. I can bend a K3 Berg in my hand and it will have some flex, but K3 Hard is very stiff with little flex. Same feel as K3; overall I've found K3/Hard Bergs feel "smaller" than others; I've noticed the same thing about Rekos, but YMMV. If you're wanting a Berg without that dome in the middle then I'd suggest keeping an eye out on OTB for the next restock; they do a great job of describing the dome/firmness of every disc and it's great knowing what you're gonna get. My first K1 Reko had dome and I really disliked the disc until I got a puddle top K1 Reko that quickly became my favorite disc.
How do you find the K3 Hard vs K3 reg? I bought a stack of hards thinking there'd be no difference (these are my first Bergs) but have heard the K3 reg has less glide, which I think I'd actually prefer (the 'brick' version).

What are your thoughts on the one vs. the other?

Such boxy, tho. Feel like I'm throwing a Volvo. (on a forehand Berg)

I know it will work, but the geometry of it all is subtly appalling.

The only thing I think is weird feeling is that the lower part of the rim is wider the closer to the bottom it gets. It really doesn't bother me though, k3 is great feeling, and it just throws so well.

The only thing I think is weird feeling is that the lower part of the rim is wider the closer to the bottom it gets. It really doesn't bother me though, k3 is great feeling, and it just throws so well.

The one I'm throwing now is a soft K1 I think. Super super gummy, probably not ideal for hard FH. I did use it yesterday on some scramble anny-FH touch shots tho, where I wanted zero ground shenanigans and had a thin throwing window to save par, and it was terrific.

I play with a guy who uses a super floaty push putt technique. He putts with a Berg and he cans way more than his fair share of 50+ footers.
It makes no logical sense...least efficient power transfer + slowest/least glidey putter = increased accuracy from distance. That's not really a formula that you expect to be true, but I've seen him switch his putter and also try to spin putt, and for whatever reason Berg push putts give him increased accuracy from distance.

Will be interesting to see how Scott's putting goes using the Berg.

My Berg is temporarily(?) out of the bag. Working with it gave me confidence on touchy approaches FH and BH. I can now make those shots with another putter in the bag (Envy/P2). Berg is still a great disc that now overlaps. I used to be uneasy with throwing anything but an overstable Harp for approaches, and the Berg cured me!

My Berg is temporarily(?) out of the bag. Working with it gave me confidence on touchy approaches FH and BH. I can now make those shots with another putter in the bag (Envy/P2). Berg is still a great disc that now overlaps. I used to be uneasy with throwing anything but an overstable Harp for approaches, and the Berg cured me!

I've felt the same way about the Berg and pulled it out of the bag periodically. But then I'll sail an Envy or Judge 40' past the basket, and I'm back to bagging the Berg again. I've gotten to where I *try* not to throw the Berg if I am confident in using a different putter, but prefer to have it in the bag as a crutch for when my confidence collapses.

Latest posts