• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Leopard vs. Leopard3?

TripleB

Eagle Member
What is the difference between the Leopard and the Leopard3? (other than the Leo is offered in a couple more plastics)

And what is the best plastic choice for the Leopard (many seem to love it in the Pro) and the Leopard3 for a very wooded home course, but also does well on all courses?

I ask because my 10 year old stole my DX Leopard 167g today!!! :eek:

Took my 10 year old out for his first true round of disc golf today. He started out throwing a 152g Sidewinder for everything except putts where he used a 173g Aviar. I didn't have a good outing with my Leopard the last time out but today I tried concentrating more on what you all advised...a smooth level throw. And the Leopard flew really well today...coming through amazingly well on 3 or 4 anhyzer shots when I wasn't in the best of spots. Extremely accurate and really held the anhyzer line perfectly with some good distance.

But my son decided to give the Leopard a try on the 6th or 7th hole and started using it on every hole because it really flew well and straight for him. Further than the Sidewinder and a lot straighter (and lower) flight throughout. After seeing him throw this disc so well (or maybe it was the fact that I'm seeing him enjoy playing a sport for the first time in the 5 years he has been trying different sports) and seeing how much confidence he started showing in his throws, I told him that since he has a distance driver and we are ordering him a putter (Polecat) and a midrange (Manta) of his own, he could have the Leopard if he liked it!!! So, actually he didn't steal it, it was more of a gift.

So instead of ordering a Mako3 and a River as planned, I'm just ordering a Pure in the Opto plastic (absolutely can bomb this thing straight now....flew one pin high today from 265' out, slightly down hill) and then either a Leopard or Leopard3 to replace the one my son now owns!

Thanks for any clarification you can give between these two models.

TripleB

basically speaking, the leopard is gonna go more to the right (rhbh), and the leopard3, comparatively, is gonna go more left.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

basically speaking, the leopard is gonna go more to the right (rhbh), and the leopard3, comparatively, is gonna go more left.

Thanks for the help! Definitely need to stick with the Leopard for right now then!!!

Pro or G-Star plastic?

And strange question: does the Leopard I-Dye Pro have the same feel and playability of the regular Pro?

Again, I appreciate you all heading me the right direction!

TripleB

Thanks for the help! Definitely need to stick with the Leopard for right now then!!!

Pro or G-Star plastic?
Pro will beat in faster but will be more workable for less arm speed. G-Star will take a bit longer to season and start out a bit more high speed stable and have a bit more fade.
And strange question: does the Leopard I-Dye Pro have the same feel and playability of the regular Pro?
Should be no different

Again, I appreciate you all heading me the right direction!

TripleB

I-dye Pro vs pro shouldn't make any difference... same plastic, only difference is the added dye. Any difference in feel or flight would strictly be a difference between one run vs. the other.

That said, many experienced players detest tie dyed discs because they blend into the surroundings much better than you might think, and you're likely to spend more time looking for them than bright, solid colors.

Once beat in would they both hold the same "playability/flight" for the same length of time?

I'm not really sure what I'm talking about, but numerous times I've heard (read) players say that a disc got flippy after a while.

Thank you for all the help!!!

And I appreciate all the info on the Tie-Dye, ie Camo, disc...definitely don't want something that's harder to find!!!

TripleB

All other things being equal...
G Star should start out with a bit more stability than Pro.

No matter what stability they start out with, the Pro will lose stability more quickly than GStar.

All other things being equal...
G Star should start out with a bit more stability than Pro.

No matter what stability they start out with, the Pro will lose stability more quickly than GStar.

So the Pro would become more "flippy" sooner than the GStar. Which one holds up to tree hits better? :D

Thanks for the clarification!!!

TripleB

Others can confirm if this is true or not, but I think a Leopard3 has less dome than a normal Leopard, and so it probably has a bit less glide. So, do you like the amount of dome on your Leopard? Would you prefer a version of it that is a bit flatter?
It is probably impossible to definitively state which will be better for you, but if you (and your son) like Leopards, then get another one. Not suggested in I-Dye though, for the reasons stated by others.

So, do you like the amount of dome on your Leopard? Would you prefer a version of it that is a bit flatter?

To be honest, my (now my sons) DX Leopard feels pretty flat to me. I don't think I would want anything flatter.

TripleB

So the Pro would become more "flippy" sooner than the GStar.
Correct

Which one holds up to tree hits better?
GStar.

Generally speaking, the more premium the plastic, the longer it retains it's flight characteristics (i.e. the slower it ages), and the more stable/overstable a given mold will be. There are some oddball exceptions to this rule of thumb, but it's true for the most part. Here's how most people would rank Innova's plastic in terms of durability. It also happens to be the order most would rank them in terms of relative stabilities for the most part.

Most durable/stable

Champion
Star / Gstar
Pro
DX
R-Pro

Least durable/stable

Blizzard is just Champion with air bubbles in the rim to create lighter weights.
Starlite is Star with similar manufacturing process to achieve lighter weight discs.

Last edited:
Bbb,
ive been throwing pro Leo's for years now and I think that they are the best in terms of glide, break in period, and perfect stability. They are pretty cheap so when I have to stock up I get 2 or 3 at once. I don't think they break in all that fast either and they'll get to a spot where they will hold there stability for a while. They definitely hold up to the abuse I give them in the woods. I use them for turnovers and hyzer flips in the woods. I don't think there is anything better at this. Also if u throw a Teebird they work very well together covering a ton of shots.
Just my 2 cents.

To be honest, my (now my sons) DX Leopard feels pretty flat to me. I don't think I would want anything flatter.

TripleB

Dome varies from disc to disc regardless of leopard or leopard3. That goes for any mold though. I have 3 champ Leo's and one is pretty flat, one mild dome, and one is super domey. In general I've noticed the discs coming out as of now are pretty consistent but that doesn't guarantee all of them will be exactly the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts