• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Music on course

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the issue. I don't like loud blaring music on the course either, but I have never heard it at the levels you guys are describing. I've only heard it in passing. I am guessing its not as if the music guy is just randomly following you around the course with his music always in earshot, is it?

I wouldn't call you a control freak, but I also wouldn't say you are being overly polite. Don't confuse "Not Rude" with "Overly Polite". Because you would be rude for asking someone else to turn off their music in a public park. If it really is at obnoxious levels that bother you so much, you can always call the police and let them deal with it.

If he's playing in the group behind you, he quite literally is following you around the course. ;)

I'm sure there is a disconnect amongst the folks here as to what exactly (too) "loud" is. For some, it is "loud" if they can hear it from more than 5-10 feet away. For others, "loud" is only if you can still hear it from 50-100+ yards away. Doubt we'll get agreement on that definition, ever.

I posted before that my philosophy is no one likes your music so keep it to yourself. I don't want to inflict my musical tastes on others, so I generally expect the same courtesy in return. That said, if people insist on listening to music, so be it so long as it is reasonably contained.

If I walk up to a group and don't realize the music is playing until I'm standing with them, I've got no issue really. I'd probably prefer it be turned off while I'm there but if I'm moving right through (or they are), I'll tolerate it for a few moments rather than make a big deal about it.

But if someone is playing music and I can hear it from 100+ feet away, IMO, it's too loud. That, to me, isn't just about them enjoying their music. That is about them wanting everyone, whether they want to or not, to "enjoy" their music. I feel that way whether we're talking about music on the course, in your car in traffic, or in your own home.

Oh, this again.

Someone call the wahmbulance.

Loud music is dumb. People who listen loud generally display their lack of regard in other ways as well, such as littering, poor etiquette, etc. It's not a music thing. It's a stupid people thing. more stupid people now have found their way into what was once a rather small demographic.

I listen at a reasonable volume. You'll hear my music if we are on the same tee. That's it. Usually I turn it down a bit more if someone is teeing off. But I'll exit this discussion now to make room for the nature purists who cannot fathom a round with music and can't throw in the presence of anything but the silent trees. Not you specifically, rustyd.

:rolleyes: Right? Oh no, you certainly can't play music in a public park!

Maybe I'm lucky, but I just don't run into this often enough to get pissed about it. I do see it occasionally, but it's rare enough that I just mock the doucher if I'm in a group or ignore him if I'm solo. Within a couple holes we're away from him and the problem has taken care of itself. I swear, for a game that prides itself on being "counter-culture" and for "free spirits" (i.e. invented by pot smoking hippies) y'all sure do have a lot of rules you want followed...

Does it matter what kind of course or park it's in?

In a disc-golf-only wooded course, music is more of an intrusion than in an urban shared-multi-use course, where the existing noise from traffic and other park users is less than tranquil to begin with.

I think it is safe to say everyone likes some type of music. Find it kind of strange someone can't go an hour or two without playing music. It's called consideration. Could merge this with the other thread that comes up every few months. Dogs on the course. Love dogs, and have four of them at home, but wouldn't bring them to the disc course with me. Same premise, like all kinds of music, but wouldn't bring it to the disc course with me.

If it's a public city/town maintained park, I tolerate it, it's what's to be expected. I'd rather hear any ones music over a band of preteen girls on the swings playing the scream/screech game.

If it's public land, but not a maintained park I prefer it quieter. Music really travels when there is no other noise pollution. But all in all, being annoyed by music really is a rarity around here.

A little courtesy goes a long way, problem is that some folks only want that courtesy geared towards them. If your music is loud enough to be heard in a 3 hole radius, you're not be considerate to others.

Not recognizing the authority you think you have, or the irrelevant opinion of other people makes me a "tough guy". Laughing at someone rather than bending to their petty will makes me a tough guy, and a douchebag too. If its really that hard for you to imagine someone telling you NO, and not caring if you like it, then we are from vastly different places and times. No one is beholden to what you like.

Ya, I play music so loud you can hold a conversation over it. I dont care who likes it or not - you call that inconsiderate.

I say expecting people to not play music in an outdoor public park makes you a control freak...and the funny thing there isnt a goddamned thing you can do about it.

Saying that "No one should ever play music out loud in a park EVER. You should wear headphones instead." makes you sound pretty crazy from my point of view - that kind of crazy needs to be challenged, whether its here with words in a ****post on a meaningless forum, or in person, right to your face. You dont control anything, you dont get to say, or decide for anyone but you and your kids. How you could think otherwise is amazing to me.

You see the rest of the world reads the above and shakes their head. I reiterate, those lacking common sense and common decenency, have very little chance of learning this. It is you music, enjoy it, the rest of us did not sign up for DJ entitlement's help. I will never, NEVER understand why some people think their entertainment, their beliefs, their enjoyment should come at the expense of others. In most situations, I enjoy making the life and day of those around me better. Different upbringing and views on life.....I guess. :\

Should have thrown a "you're not the boss of me" in there imo.

You are not allowed to play music aloud on most ball golf courses, so the idea isn't unheard of.

But that is the fact of the natter, isnt it? You arent the boss of anyone; you have no power to enforce "the way you think things should be". I dont know you, and youre outside of my monkey sphere, so no, I dont care about your opinion in any way shape or form - anymore than you regard mine.

That is the point at which the discussion starts, if a discussion is desired. Making statements like "people who play any music at all on the course are douchebags, even though no ordinance or rule is being broken, because I DONT LIKE IT" is great stuff when typing into an echo chamber, but out in the sun, as most of you have said, you dont even have the balls to ask someone to turn it down, though you feel so strongly about it; "its not worth it", "I dont want to be THAt guy" despite the obviously strong opinion- why? Because normal people will tell you to piss right off, and you know it, and then you have two choices: you can eat it and walk away, or you can DO something about it. Sounds like a bunch of repressed anger being vented here, where little challenge can be made and you have the support of like-minded folks.

So ya, "youre not the boss of anyone" - resign yourself to that and you'll likely be at least slightly happier whenever interacting with other people.

Like I said, I play music at a conversational level and I really, REALLY dont care if anyone likes it or not. Why? Because it isnt a problem except in some control freak's head. I dont care who you are, music playing that cant be heard outside of 10-15 feet and can be talked over isnt an issue. Period. So...this is where that "tough guy" thing comes in - because I feel this way no, I will not turn it off, or down, or anything and I will tell you that if you ask . If you dont like it, I will suggest you gtfo or shut up and if you dont like that, I will suggest that the frog jump...but we know none of you would because youd be dead wrong.

Why? Because you have literally zero right or power to tell someone else what to do in a park. Again - the fact that some of you just seem to overlook this is so curious. Those of you that do acknowledge it, seem to want to resort to shaming: "no one likes your music, everyone is thinking it, but no one will say it" and so on. That shaming thing there, looks an awful lot like cowardly behavior. You cant control the situation, so run to the group for affirmation and try to use social pressure to influence behavior which literally is not breaking a rule or an ordinance, or anything.

But...you'll always run into people like me. I am actually quite a considerate person; my music isnt loud. I return discs when I find them, and every single round I play at any course, Im always pulling trash out of the park (another advantage of a cart, to toss in another subject of ridicule around here). I regularly insist that people play through because I enjoy going slow. The difference is, Im not beholden to any standard of behavior that any individual or group finds objectionable - I do what I want within the law and what I think are appropriate behaviors. If you dont like it, again, youre welcome to try and actually stop "me" because what you think or want will not have any influence at all and I will tell you this to your face.

Maybe its a regional thing, but around here you dont go around trying to tell strangers what to do and not expect to be challenged when you do it - no matter what the subject might be.

This guy above me, he seems kinda angry. /shrug

I like music. I usually play with the same guys, all of which like it too. I've only ever encountered one person who didn't like it and said so. It both irritated and amused me. It was during a tournament round, otherwise I'd just not have played with the person. It made me consider whether tournaments are for me. They're probably not.

@AmsterdamHeavy. You do act like the tough guy calling ppl "twats" and "fools". That's extremely rude and unwarranted. I didn't see anyone calling you vulgar names to instigate your reaction. This is probably your approach to others on the course, and life, in general. Sad.

Ahhh DGCR at it's finest... debating the finer points of course etiquette. Good Grief.

You guys are all *******s ;) The "I insist on having it MY WAY" - Zen Quiet Golf Master, as well as the "Loud Music Bumpin Brah" Seriously, I play around 5x per week, and I don't run into these "Music Bumpin Brahs" that seem to fill the course with loud obnoxious gangsta rap and death metal anywhere near my local courses. Occasionally I'll run into a player, or a small group, where a 2" bluetooth speaker might be lightly playing some music in the background. NEVER in 20 years of playing this game have I run across a full-on frat party on the disc golf course. I get more aggravated at the shirtless 1 disc bro-chuckers who take 30 min/hole looking for discs, and hoot an holler and act like they are playing in the US Open all day long. But do I run up to them and inform them how loud and obnoxious they are? No - sadly, that's their right to behave in public as they see fit - so long as no laws are being broken. And that's the same with music. Sorry to Mr Quiet Zen Golf Master - but you have no right to silence on public property. None. ZERO. That includes traffic, police sirens, car stereos, and yes, portable bluetooth speakers on a public disc golf course. Unless it's breaking a municipal noise ordinance, you're just pissing in the wind. YOU are the crotchety old man yelling "Get off my lawn" in this scenario, and hopefully you are self-aware enough to realize that. If music/noise/whatever bothers you SO DAMN MUCH - invest in a set of quality earplugs, or find another hobby. Getting mad at casual players for running some background music during a round at the local course is just absurd. Get over yourself. YOUR (imagined) right to "silence" doesn't exist. Playing music within the limits of the local noise ordinance is completely legit and legal, and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. If you hate it that much, play on a private course where it's expressly forbidden, or build your own course. But for the LOVE OF FROLF please stop telling other people what they can/can't should/shouldn't be doing on a golf course. It's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Get it?

America - Land of the Easily Offended.

Can we put this thread out of it's misery, or is there some unwritten DGCR.com rule that says we must beat the same dead, rotten horse at least 3x per year?

Every time I see long winded posts on here this old saying comes to mind:

"If you can't explain to a 12 year old, in 20 words or less, why a stock is a good buy. Don't buy it".

Ahhh DGCR at it's finest... debating the finer points of course etiquette. Good Grief.

You guys are all *******s ;) The "I insist on having it MY WAY" - Zen Quiet Golf Master, as well as the "Loud Music Bumpin Brah" Seriously, I play around 5x per week, and I don't run into these "Music Bumpin Brahs" that seem to fill the course with loud obnoxious gangsta rap and death metal anywhere near my local courses. Occasionally I'll run into a player, or a small group, where a 2" bluetooth speaker might be lightly playing some music in the background. NEVER in 20 years of playing this game have I run across a full-on frat party on the disc golf course. I get more aggravated at the shirtless 1 disc bro-chuckers who take 30 min/hole looking for discs, and hoot an holler and act like they are playing in the US Open all day long. But do I run up to them and inform them how loud and obnoxious they are? No - sadly, that's their right to behave in public as they see fit - so long as no laws are being broken. And that's the same with music. Sorry to Mr Quiet Zen Golf Master - but you have no right to silence on public property. None. ZERO. That includes traffic, police sirens, car stereos, and yes, portable bluetooth speakers on a public disc golf course. Unless it's breaking a municipal noise ordinance, you're just pissing in the wind. YOU are the crotchety old man yelling "Get off my lawn" in this scenario, and hopefully you are self-aware enough to realize that. If music/noise/whatever bothers you SO DAMN MUCH - invest in a set of quality earplugs, or find another hobby. Getting mad at casual players for running some background music during a round at the local course is just absurd. Get over yourself. YOUR (imagined) right to "silence" doesn't exist. Playing music within the limits of the local noise ordinance is completely legit and legal, and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. If you hate it that much, play on a private course where it's expressly forbidden, or build your own course. But for the LOVE OF FROLF please stop telling other people what they can/can't should/shouldn't be doing on a golf course. It's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Get it?

America - Land of the Easily Offended.

Can we put this thread out of it's misery, or is there some unwritten DGCR.com rule that says we must beat the same dead, rotten horse at least 3x per year?

Well, not always true. The major park system I play in has plenty of rules, shouldn't have to, but isn't that always the way with laws and rules. There is a noise ordinance, dogs must be leashed, obsene language is prohibited, alcohol must be used in identified areas, no motorized vehilce off the road, helmets must be worn when biking, vandalism of any kind is illegal....most are common sense and rarely enforced. It is my guess most people understand common decency. A disc golf course is a big place, you have to be going out of you way to do something dumb enough to anger others. Sadly, some people need to be told to clean up after their dog, stop writing all over picnic tables or to stop breaking trees....even sadder are the people who figure they have the right to do this in the first place.
If you are playing music as a "personal or group" level, nobody is telling you anything. That is really the whole point here. Why would anybody intentionally engage in something they know will decrease the enjoyment of others around them?

I regularly play music off my Bluetooth speaker when I'm out playing a casual round with a couple of my friends. I don't use my speaker during leagues or tourneys. I often listen to offensive music that has profanity in it, when I'm not in public. I don't however play any music of that sort while I'm out on the course. I have a playlist just for disc golfing. The music I play would most likely be considered "trance". Theres few or no words in a majority of the songs. I'm not talking dubstep like Skrillex. I'm talking artists like Odesza & even "more chill" than that. I try keeping my music quiet enough not to bother others. I've never had anyone complain about the volume or content. In fact I regularly get asked the names of the music artists I play. I'm cheap when it comes to some things but electronics is not one of them. I have a UE Megaboom that I got at Best Buy for over $300 (currently $250 on Amazon). I've yet to come across a speaker on the course that even has the ability to get as loud as mine. I'm not trying to brag. I'm just saying I could be that d**k blasting music across the course but I choose not to be. I use headphones when I play solo rounds. If I put headphones in while playing with my friends that would be rude/antisocial of me to do. Especially when my girlfriend comes along. There's no way she's letting me stick headphones in my ears. It may just be my group of friends but they get upset when I forget my speaker/it dies during a round because I forgot to charge it.

Like many, I've read this thread too many times.

However, I am glad that I read through this particular iteration, because I was able to locate this gem:

25 years ago I had a radio that was probably a good two cubic feet in mass.

This just makes my Monday morning so much better. What would I do without the internet?

In a disc-golf-only wooded course, music is more of an intrusion than in an urban shared-multi-use course, where the existing noise from traffic and other park users is less than tranquil to begin with.

pretty much my feelings on this matter

I dont think this is about playing music or not while playing. Its more about being an A-hole on the course, and A-holes get smacked!

tumblr_lk9xa6DiO71qdg75qo1_500.png

^^^
This.:thmbup:
Oh, I do likes my music, but as we're taught in the Army, train how you fight, fight how you train. PDGA sanctioned tournaments do not allow music.
Can we be done now?:wall:

^^^
This.:thmbup:
Oh, I do likes my music, but as we're taught in the Army, train how you fight, fight how you train. PDGA sanctioned tournaments do not allow music.
Can we be done now?
:wall:

Somehow I find this the most ridiculous statement made in a thread full of them. Really, because PDGA sanctioned events have rules against it, every park in the world and every casual disc golfer in the world needs to follow them. Furthermore, I'd hope that soldiers had GD well better be able to maintain poise weather or not there's some Phish on in the background.

If we are talking about nature and intrusions, then a disc course in and of itself is an intrusion on nature, and most park settings for that matter. That sound of plastic hitting chains certainly isn't mating call of the yellow bellied sapsucker. Maybe the same guys whining about music being too loud can bring an extra plastic bag to clean up the trash caused by our less than considerate DG bretheren.

If people want peace and quiet and to be one with nature, there is always hiking, far far away from the civilized world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts