• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still no Electron anodes. MVP is really letting me down right now.

Imagine people who have thought about the ion in baseline since it was released. The core is here simmer down. Cant release a 100 new things at once and if anodes sold like hot cakes i assume they would have electron ASAP. Honestly ions/anodes are not that different feeling at all. I have a mix of both in my practice basket.

I saw someone mention that elsewhere so I looked up the PDGA tech standards. I found it says the max rim width is 2.6cm. I did not read the entire thing though; is there a reason why manufacturers can't make a 2.6cm wide rimmed disc, such as another measurement that is limiting that?

The Salient Prometheus is a 2.6 and very wide diameter. It's fast for sure, but a driver that big feels incredibly unwieldy and leaves a lot of room for error in flight variations. They had some flat tops that flew like a Stiletto and other droopy winged ones that were like a Katana.

I think MVP could probably pull it off, but a rim that big is super hard to grip, and if players really wanted them, they would probably be asking.

The Salient Prometheus is a 2.6 and very wide diameter. It's fast for sure, but a driver that big feels incredibly unwieldy and leaves a lot of room for error in flight variations. They had some flat tops that flew like a Stiletto and other droopy winged ones that were like a Katana.

I think MVP could probably pull it off, but a rim that big is super hard to grip, and if players really wanted them, they would probably be asking.
Yeah, I agree, I don't so much think it's a great idea, I was just wondering why they made the claim that they couldn't make a bigger rim size, when that doesn't appear to be true from what I can tell. It's certainly fine if they don't see a need to, I was just curious if I was missing some info about the restrictions.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The Defy is a straight-stable 21.5mm distance driver from Axiom Discs. The Defy is straight with a nice bite of overstability at the end, and is best described as a heavily seasoned MVP Photon or a longer Axiom Crave. Like the Crave the Defy exhibits remarkable resistance to turnover even at high power.
Defy.npart of new release.

Last edited:
Yep, I would say the Defy fits right in between a Wave and Photon. I'm a little surprised it hasn't generated more interest on here.

Yep, I would say the Defy fits right in between a Wave and Photon. I'm a little surprised it hasn't generated more interest on here.

From some reviews from testers, the Defy is closer to a Photon than the Wave. The profiles are pretty similar (Defy and Photon) and it seems to fly dead-nuts straight. I'm going to get to throw one later this week/early next week, so I can report back then.

I'll give you guys a quick little review of the new discs before I gotta hit the hay.

All discs are max weight.

Defy: Not as understable as I expected. Threw a lot like a Photon, with just a little less HSS. Good fade at the end, and pretty straight, up to around 280-300. I disagree with "heavily seasoned" Photon. I also find the Crave more stable than most of you, so maybe there's something to the design as a "longer Crave." Overall a great disc, but with various stabilities of the Photon, there will be some overlap for sure.

Octane: Now I must preface this by saying that I don't throw 23mm (or more) rim discs, and I only own 1, which is a crazy domey Katana which feels horrible in the hand. So this was pretty new territory for me. The rim does feel big, and there's some definite dome. Not like Innova dome, but more Orbital-ish. It took a few throws for me to get used to the rim, and I'm not really sold on it. I could get some throws out there, but comfort is huge in your discs, and this was pushing the boundries.

As far as distance goes, there is real potential here. I was hitting 300+ on multiple throws, but I had to give it a little anny. When thrown straight, it would get into hyzer mode quickly and rob me of D. On the anny it would ride a bit before the stability kicked in. Thowers who have a little better arm than me (320+) are going to likely see more turn.

One thing that sort of blew my mind was the skip! I've seen plenty of guys throw the warp speed stuff and get those monster skips at the end so it was awesome to see those coming from my own arm. It was giving me 40-50...maybe even 60 feet of skip and lateral movement. Pretty sweet.

I want to keep this one in the bag for skips and to see how it seasons. I may beat it up some artificially to speed up the process.

Nitro: This is a lot of disc. From the first throw I knew it wasn't meant for my arm. It wouldn't even go straight for me on annys and I couldn't get it past 270-280. It skips even better than the Octane though, and handles a torquey FH with ease. And the ROLLS. I decided it was kind of pointless to keep throwing it, so I decided to roll it and my first one went over 400 feet. Ok, ok, it hit a sidewalk at around 380, but it would have gone well over 400 if it had more grass. That sharp edge and stability make a great combo if you can hit the angle right. I'd like to hear some thoughts from the bigger arms on this one because it's more than I can handle.

On a side note, I took the Wave and Photon along to compare the Defy to, and the Wave was the longest disc on every set of throws. I hit around 370 with it tonight, and that's one of my longest throws ever. I was hitting over 300 on nearly every throw, and it felt pretty darn good. Who knows, if I get a little better form, the Octane could give it a run for it's money.

Hmmmm, intrigued by the Nitro.

If it can be straighter Phase I could be happy. Got the Phase out to 425 4 times yesterday, so something with similar HSS and less LSS could bomb.

It boggles the mind that you can throw a Phase that far, Moose. The Nitro will definitely be straighter for your arm. Actually, you'll probably get it to turn a bit then come back with a strong fade. I would roughly guess that it's a 13/5/-1/3 on an Innova scale.

As for FH, Brutus, it wasn't the dome that made FH's a bit uncomfortable, but the rim width itself. But each hand is different, so who knows. I don't want you guys thinking of these as domey discs. It's just more pronounced if all you throw is MVP/Axiom.

^yea lol. I tired to throw a phase on a near vertical BH anhy, it still only went about 200ft before tombstoning...

Haha, I'll make a video.

Pick some discs you'd want to see it thrown against.
I have;
Ape
Force
Stiletto
Scythe
Rask

That would all be fairly comparable.

Probably Rask and stiletto. Those are the most OS along with the phase I would think. A brand new Z flick might be better comparison speed wise, wouldn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.