• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Noob understable driver suggestions

Jules B

Par Member
History: played a hand full of times about 8 years ago. I found the only 2 disk I had, both Aerobie and decided to take the gf and son to play.

Long story short about a month later, I we have 3 bags, well over 20 disc between the 3 of us. Most are mine. We have played literally everyday weather permitting. Her son is 5 years old and now throws around 40-50ft and getting better each time literally. She throws an avenger about 100-150ft. I throw mids and drivers around 250-300ft, but I'm working on constantly getting more distance. We even purchased a discmania disc lite basket for putting practice at home.

Rhbh/ RHFH thrower

My bag
Putter:
CHALLENGER pro-D Plastic (I like the grip and feel)
Soft magnet

Mids:
Shark
Buzzz Z and X plastics
Truth

Fairway:
Leopard
Escape( wants to go left, fades a little quick to my liking, but I'm getting it to go the distance)

Driver:
Avenger SS pro-d and x plastic. (Love them they fly far and straight or hold the line I put them on) still fades left.

WRAITH flies straight

Suge esp (great distance, dependable hard left fade)

Destroyer star plastic (great distance hard fade left, not as much distance or fade as the surge for me)

Beast-X dx plastic, flies straight, or will hold hyzer/ anhyzer line.

Aerobie Epic I guess I could bend to fade left on a Rhbh throw.

Problems: I can throw the surge 250ft have it follow a hill that turns left. I can bet money that the surge will always to go hard left. I struggle on the dog leg right.

Is this a skill issue, need to perfect the an-hyzer throw on disk that will hold it.

Throw more Rhfh throws so the disk that reliably go left (surge /destroyer) now fade right.

Or is there a disk that's better for long/short, soft/hard right turns.

I'm not a brand specific person. I'm new and willing to try what feels comfortable in my hand, and tweaking my bag with as I go..

Thanks in advance

How does your Leopard fly for you? I think the Leopard is the best beginer disc out there. Get a Star for yourself, a Pro for your girlfriend, and a 150g dx for your son.

Leopards are a great turnover disc that will give you those right turns you are talking about.

With more practice you should be able to turn your Leopard and Avenger SS to the right on a RHBH shot. I would defiantly start working on RHFH because it is very useful to be able to throw both ways. I think you should get a Discraft Comet because it is great for working on form both FH and BH and once you learn it you should be able to shape those right turning lines. I honestly think your Drivers are too fast for you at this point in your game. I have been playing for a long time and I don't throw anything faster than a speed 9.

I would suggest doing some field practice with your discs. This will help you learn how they fly without trying to play a golf hole. Just find a field and work on different angles of release different grips and different amounts of power.

Most important keep having fun with the lady and kid. Thats what its all about!

If you have an ability to throw FH(not everyone does), then your probably better off working on that. But, you cant neglect the anhy. Both shots are needed depending on the shot required. If you need to have the disc hit and stick, an anhy is usually better for that, especially on a wooded course where you cant get enough height to make a FH knife in and not skip. Any well used DX(proD) plastic will turn right(rhbh). If your wanting something new to learn with, there are several good options.

Fairways include Latititude: River, Jade, Diamond. Discraft: Glide, Express. MVP: Relay(which would be my suggestion), Inspire.

Drivers Innova: Sidewinder, roadrunner, Mamba. MVP: Impulse, Amp, Virus

Oh and don't let your auto-correct make your posts include disk, some people around here don't like that...;)

Last edited:
Welcome to disc golf (and DGCR)! Enjoy trying lots of discs; it's what most people do for the first couple years they play. Of course, most people will also tell you that you will improve your game faster by skimming down to only a few discs (and nothing too fast) and really learning those. While this is good advice and true, part of the fun when you first start playing is trying lots of discs (at least it was for me) and seeing what suits you. When you do finally settle into a groove and find what you like or hit a distance plateau you really want to pass, then you can look into really setting up your bag in a logical way, improving form, disc minimalization, etc. In the meantime, enjoy!

Leopard & Sidewinder are my reccomendations. I love my Leo for those anny shots. I also found DX Wraiths beat in nicely too, and work great for that understable driver slot. Like everyone else said, try out a bunch of different discs, field test them, find what works best for you.

The Westside Underworld is awesome for the shot you are describing and for your arm speed. It's very understable, more understable than the Leopard by far. It's similar to a seasoned DX Leopard. Great for hyzer flips to straight, flat to turnover. Once you gain a bit more armspeed you can use it for hyzer flip to late turnover. Insane glide, goes super far for me. It rivals my faster discs when it comes to distance (I don't got a big arm at all, I'm more of a noodle). I prefer close to max weight VIP plastic

Thanks for the reply, keep them coming. All the advise seems very logical and I'll try most it.

As for the speed, you're right. A few of my drivers are very fast. I'll admit my destroyer would turn left almost instantly. I throw it now as a speed reference (to determine my speed) I now get 250-300ft which is still shorter than expected.

The wrath and beast speed 11 and 10 will consistently fly their correct pattern for me. I do need to work on my aim (where the disc lands) though.

I thought the avenger ss would turn, however when I release flat it is an arrow in pro-D plastic for me. I can beam it 300ft constantly on a perfectly straight line, unfortunately that line isn't exactly where I want it yet.. Lol

As far as field test, I live near Louisiana state university and did practice there. We are on a course everyday now, and it's mainly for exercise, fun and I like a challenge. I have noticed and started to note how most of the disk fly, which hold lines, etc. So I am seeing some improvement, but I do thing I need to throw forehand hand more often..

Slightly off topic, why can't I hyzer flip? I've tried with my avenger SS and it will just hold the slight hyzer line.

When I first got the destroyer I'd anhyzer and watch it flip up left, and fade left (when I didn't have the strength). I assume I have the strength and I don't think I'm suppose to twist my wrist as if I was throwing a roller.

Any ideas, or do I just suck..lol

Thanks again everyone

Welcome to disc golf (and DGCR)! ... When you do finally settle into a groove and find what you like ...

How can you recommend a groove to a newbie? Shame on you.

Seriously, Leopard & Sidewinder seem to be easy to use. And get your kid a DX Cobra.

And, you should be able to hyzer flip a Leopard without too much practice.

Best advice. Pick one and stick with it for a while.
Leopard is great disc btw. So is the escape. Heard awesome stuff about the avenger ss.

You'll get a hyper flip once you have more consistency and power. That leopard will be money for you when you nail that down. They can go really far.

Oh and my leopard does fly right. I forgot about that. Last time I threw it was a 600+ feet par 5 hole, with a bayou/creek OB on the righ. It went right, had good distance, hit a tree limb slowing it, causing the premature left fade into the bayou/creek. I went and got it, by climbing down some tree roots, almost falling in and after seeing a snake go into the water about 20ft away..smh

Thinking back I threw it because I thought it would go right as the hole is a 600+ long gradual curve to the right. I'm pretty positive my ruff aim is the reason I went to far right. I'll try it again today.

Slightly off topic, why can't I hyzer flip? I've tried with my avenger SS and it will just hold the slight hyzer line

A lot of beginners and even more experienced players like myself struggle with what we refer to around here as The Dip. Dipping the left shoulder right before release can cause deceleration and sometimes makes the disc come out of the hand with more hyzer than intended. It could be that or several other things. If you really want to get better form, video yourself and post it in the technique forums.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, why can't I hyzer flip? I've tried with my avenger SS and it will just hold the slight hyzer line. r.

Any ideas, or do I just suck..lol

Thanks again everyone

No, you don't suck. Neither does LSU, unless they're playing Georgia. :D

Seriously, if you're getting about 300 ft. from the Avenger SS, and not quite that on the Destroyer, your arm speed and form aren't quite yet up to hyzer-flipping consistently. As you grow in the sport and your form improves, you'll likely begin hyzer-flipping understable discs more easily.

You said the Wraith is doing well for you, so keep on going with that...

There's a difference between a beginner strong arming 275-300' and a more advanced player smoothly throwing a shot 300' with the nose down and letting the disc turn over.

What I'm trying to say is, right now it's about throwing more and more and learning gradually; no new disc is going to give you this shot. A hyzer flip and gradual turnover that holds the left to right direction is a shot that take smooth technique and a good nose down release angle (otherwise any disc will fade back with the nose up a bit).

As far as discs I would recommend to keep working with the Avenger SS and Leopard. If I would recommend a disc to someone throwing 250-300' for this shot I would first probably say DX Leopard.

So, it seems the leopard and avenger ss should be my go to disc. Now I'm assuming I need to add a touch on anhyzer and they should hold the line similar to my buzzz and truth. I know the avenger will already. More specifically I'm talking about the leopard.

There's a difference between a beginner strong arming 275-300' and a more advanced player smoothly throwing a shot 300' with the nose down and letting the disc turn over.

What I'm trying to say is, right now it's about throwing more and more and learning gradually; no new disc is going to give you this shot. A hyzer flip and gradual turnover that holds the left to right direction is a shot that take smooth technique and a good nose down release angle (otherwise any disc will fade back with the nose up a bit).

As far as discs I would recommend to keep working with the Avenger SS and Leopard. If I would recommend a disc to someone throwing 250-300' for this shot I would first probably say DX Leopard.

Pretty much this. The discs are fine for where you're at. It's more about working steadily with them to learn how to get them to do the things you want them to do.

Plus if they're pretty new, getting some wear on them is a learning experience too.

More specifically I'm talking about the leopard.

Faster discs are fun to throw and you can use them for big S turns and skip shots. But until you can throw your leopard and shape all different lines with it, you wont be getting the real potential out of faster discs. Work with it, and once you can hit 300'+ with the Leopard on straight shots, hyzer flip, and anny lines, then you'll really start seeing the potential of faster discs.

Last edited:
I use a Discraft Stratus X for my BH turnover shots. I can get a Leopard and various other discs to do it, but the Stratus is the most consistent for me.