• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

I have one of the first orange Armor Scales and it is bagged for life. Amazing disc. I have some of the domey Armors coming my way and am eager to throw them against each other. I'll report back re: domey white Armor vs. Flat orange Armor

Finally got out to throw the domey white armor today- Holy Overstable Batman!!

Full power, anhyzer line, with OAT cause my form sucks, and it still fought back and came left- the extra glide from the dome helped with that. With a flat controlled release, didn't even really have time to glide, just dived left after about 150 feet.

The fossil blend seems more reliable to me- got my first tournament birdie with it off the tee- I might just need to smack some trees with the armor version and get it beat in quick.

For the benefit of those without Facebook: RDG just got in a batch of bottom-stamped Fossil Scales, and they are running a 15% off deal on your entire order with the promo code: SNOW

Snatch 'em up!

Tried out my buddies the other day. Not a bad putter kind of would have liked it in a softer plastic. If I had the arm speed for it I would def bag it.

Tried out my buddies the other day. Not a bad putter kind of would have liked it in a softer plastic. If I had the arm speed for it I would def bag it.

Thanks for the quick feedback :)

We do offer it in a few softer varieties that really provide a unique feel.

Also if you liked the feel of the Scale, our second putter, the Serpent, shares the same top as the Scale but is beadless. It also flies much straighter and is readily available in a grippy, gummy blend.

Chalk RFF Serpents

Anyone get a Scale seasoned up yet?

My Fossil has taken to some abuse and is really becoming even more of a go to disc for me.
It's flying very straight with just a late, reliable fade. It's not quite to Wizard stability but it's almost there. It's also picked up some glide and is flying much farther than a freshie.

I only bag the Armor Scale, so its going to be a hot minute before that thing wears in. I will say though that my tournament this weekend would have been an utter disaster without the Scale.

The 1st round the sun was shining and we had perfect weather. The Scale honestly disnt see much use...just one big hyzer upshot and a get out of trouble sidearm that tickled chains, as I recall. The 2nd round was a completley different story. The winter storm rolled in and we were faced with a near 20 degree drop in temps, constant 30 mph wind with gusts up to 40 mph and snow galore. I completley gave up on my Touches and was only putting with the Scale and ocassionaly the Buzzz OS for longer putts. The Scale performed admirably. Evenin those strong winds, it held up to my spin putting and saved me many strokes. I demolished my card with smart play in the adverse conditions. The jealousy from my cardmates was palpable when I was easily sinking 20 footers with the Scale and they were either laying up for a bogey or worse or missing completley.

Anyone get a Scale seasoned up yet?

My Fossil has taken to some abuse and is really becoming even more of a go to disc for me.
It's flying very straight with just a late, reliable fade. It's not quite to Wizard stability but it's almost there. It's also picked up some glide and is flying much farther than a freshie.

Mine gets spike hyzered on concrete at least once a week and is still a stable beast. It looks aweful but is still going strong. Its probably gained a little glide but its not very different from when it was new. I can't imagine how much damage it'll take to get one to fly straight

TR3 Limited Review

Category: Overstable Putter (Non-Premium Plastic)
Product: Reptilian Disg Golf Scale, Fossil Plastic

Additional thoughts/info:
• There's almost nothing this putter cant execute, but I did find it's one weakness, it's Achilles' heel……headwind forehand drives. Do I blame the disc for this? No. I blame Oklahoma.
• Made in four different plastic types; Sure-Grip, Fossil, Tarpit, and Armor (Evolution type)

Overall Grade: A+
Overall Value: B+
Closest Competitor, in style; Gateway Wizard
Closest Competitor, in price range; Gateway Wizard

Reasoning;

This is another one of those cases where I went in with pre-conceived notions on what I "thought" would be best for me, only to be proven wrong. Several years ago, in the middle of a 2-round sanctioned tournament, I was so mad at my Aviars that I switched to a Wizard for the 2nd round. It was like turning on a light-switch; I was hitting putts that I never hit, nailing some outside the circle, things I had only hoped I could do. Those few "A-HA" moments come along so rarely you have to grasp them when they do appear. This product nearly captured that same sensation. I nonchalantly gave it a few putts for the video, only to find out that I did enjoy putting with them. The soul of the wizard with there, comfortably in my hands, and those fond memories of putts I made that day came ringing back. Was it enough for me to kick out the Challengers from my bag? I'm kicking and screaming "NO NO NO", but deep down inside I'm thinking "REPENT MAN, REPENT!!!"
Why did I mark it down a little for value? Simply because I haven't tried their other plastic types, the Tarpit, Sure-Grip, and the Armor. Like Gateway, RDG is diving into the many variations of "base" plastic. Giving those touchy-feely sensitive types the tactile feedback they've been longing for, something for every individual taste.

Final Thoughts, and constructive criticism

1. A little bit of chunkies and knicks, but I did test it in 30-40 degree weather, and it did hit rocks.
2. Pretty fantastic cut roller disc, for those rescue shots needed on the ground.
3. The thumbtrac might get in your way if you're used to placement being elsewhere on the disc. For FH shots though, it's pretty spot-on for where you need to be situated.
4. Shorter distance than what I'd like to see, but this is a disc that is very capable of kicking out my fusion judges for everything except purely off the tee.

*please note that the video is being uploaded at this very minute, give it a little time to go to space and come back*

^^^ That sidearm can with the Serp was awesome dude! how far out was that, like 150?

^^^ That sidearm can with the Serp was awesome dude! how far out was that, like 150?

Just under 100 feet, 96-100 to be as accurate as I can. It was the very first time I tried to FH the disc, and the 3rd time overall that I had thrown in. Felt nice to catch that on camera.

So I received a fossil Scale (and RDG Dri-Fit) in the mail today, so of course I had to take it out for a test drive. But before I get to that, just a quick comment on Mr. Cassidy's customer service. I ordered late Friday afternoon and within literally fifteen minutes I was notified that the disc was on the way to me. Extremely satisfied and that guaranteed that I would purchase happily from him again.

Then I tried the Scale out and it guaranteed I'm going to happily support this company a ton. Played with my normal bag but I also played a 1 disc round with the Scale as I made my way around the course.

First, the feel. As a Wizard lover, I thought the groove would throw me. However, it felt fantastic, especially FH. And my FH grip has never been super comfortable with my beloved Wizards. I love the feel of a Wizard and am used to them and this felt similar but even better. I already knew Fossil felt fantastic as I'd fondled it before.

Now, on to the flight. I was just expecting a Wizard flight, maybe less glide. However, this thing is a beefcake. Traditional Wizard HSS, but a lot more fade and less glide. I had some decent headwinds and the Scale held straight and faded out. It fought out of anhyzers very quickly. This disc wants to fade. It also had a fair bit of skip, which is surprising as the course was a soggy, swampy mess.

All in all, I was extremely impressed. I could see this disc becoming my go to approach disc, my OS driving putter, and it will definitely be the OS end cap to my Wizard cycle. Definitely happy with the purchase and really excited for RDG to release some more molds.

Also, I had my GoPro with me and recorded the whole round. Not sure how well it picked up the white disc or if anyone would want to watch my terrible form/noodle arm throw the Scale, but I'll probably throw the video up anyways. You can even see me sporting the RDG dri-fit in it.

First, the feel. As a Wizard lover, I thought the groove would throw me. However, it felt fantastic, especially FH. And my FH grip has never been super comfortable with my beloved Wizards. I love the feel of a Wizard and am used to them and this felt similar but even better. I already knew Fossil felt fantastic as I'd fondled it before.

Now, on to the flight. I was just expecting a Wizard flight, maybe less glide. However, this thing is a beefcake. Traditional Wizard HSS, but a lot more fade and less glide. I had some decent headwinds and the Scale held straight and faded out. It fought out of anhyzers very quickly. This disc wants to fade. It also had a fair bit of skip, which is surprising as the course was a soggy, swampy mess.

LOVE reading this write up :thmbup:

Now that the newness of the mold has wore off for me, I've settled in to the fact that the Scale is not the mold that I want to putt with. I'm too familiar with Wizards and of course living in St. Louis I have direct access to the best of the best.

That said...... I would make an argument that the Scale is the natural bag companion to the Wizard and that anyone that loves to cycle wizards will find that a Scale is a necessity. The slight tweaks that we made to the top piece of the mold produced an IMMENSE amount of inherent stability to the overall shape. I've beaten the tar out of these discs and they refuse to develop turn. They will fight winds at all stages of wear & really provide THE bookend to a Wiz cycle.

One thing that makes the Scale so great is that, unlike the KC Avair & Rhyno duo, the Scale & Wiz feel almost identical in the hand. You can power grip both molds and not realize which you are holding.

I've reduced my number of PnA molds now that I'm prepping for organized golf. I'm currently bagging:
-2 Scales: Fossil for straight to fade and windy upshots. Armor for BEEF
-2 Wizards: 1 SS for putting (used since the start of RDG) and RFF (touch upshots)
-1 Serpent: Fossil for low glide upshots that need to fly straight. Straight to slightly US tee shots.

This cycle seems to work really well for me and I have every shot that I could need covered. For anyone that loves the Wizard, I urge you to check out the Scale as it's genetically enhanced, beefy son :D

I am rocking the Armor Scale for OS putter shots, sidearms and rollers. I have a workhorse duo of Evo Wizards for all upshots basically. One freshy with slight dome and high PLH. This is a beefy Wizard. Seems to always come out of an Anny when given height to work, of course.

One beat OG gummy Evo Wizard. The off white run from around 08. This disc will hold an Anny to the ground, and will even flip a little!

Rounded off by a seasoned Aero that might as well be in KC Pro. It is a strange Aero as it flexes back for at the very very end, but will hold even the most touchy finesse annys.

I am thinking that the Serpent may cover my worn in Wizard spot and potentially even the Aero. That Aero is something special though. Just a fun disc to throw.

I guess this is where having a Fossil lid would come in handy I guess... :p

Lol I've talked to Dave about it. Once we get some R&D done on these new molds he's producing we will jump into our third mold. Still debating the lid vs. mid conundrum.

Let me answer that for you, LID! I'd buy many many...

Mid all the way.

If you could do two mids roughly analagous with the Scale and Serpent (with more glide) you'd have a pair of winners. The more I throw the Scale, the more I appreciate the mold.

I've got a tar pit Scale on the way, and I'm thinking about filming a round at Cumberland Green with three Scales: Armor, Fossil and Tar Pit. Its a short course so I think I can easily come in under par.

Lost my Dom Clark stamp fossil Scale this past weekend :(

Just have the insanely domey armor one left.

Has anyone tried dying a blank fossil one yet?

Latest posts