• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

I think a mid version of the Scale and a Mid version of the Wizard style design/ flight would sky rocket your sales...haha. Especially in Fossil plastic! :p

Exactly. If RDG did their future releases the way it did with it putters: beefy, then neutral, in Fossil then other blends as it comes along, it would be perfect. The Scale was a grand slam, the Serpent was a solo shot home run the very next batter.

Exactly. If RDG did their future releases the way it did with it putters: beefy, then neutral, in Fossil then other blends as it comes along, it would be perfect. The Scale was a grand slam, the Serpent was a solo shot home run the very next batter.

Lol I love this analogy.

Honestly the Serp was never a disc that we anticpated making. It was just the aftermath of producing the Scale top. I'm certain the Scale will always be the most highly regarded PnA we offer but I am equally certain that we will have a small army of devoted Serp throwers because it is such a great disc.

Lost my Dom Clark stamp fossil Scale this past weekend :(

Just have the insanely domey armor one left.

Has anyone tried dying a blank fossil one yet?

Domey scale? Weren't they all designed to be flat? I wanted to get a armor scale at some point, but prolly not if they have a dome. (Look what happened to champ pigs, they had a completely different feel with the huge dome)

Domey scale? Weren't they all designed to be flat? I wanted to get a armor scale at some point, but prolly not if they have a dome. (Look what happened to champ pigs, they had a completely different feel with the huge dome)

I dont think it was intended that way, think it was just that one batch- I posted a pic of it along with the fossil right next to it- ill see if i can go back and dig it up.

Edit- here it is

attachment.php

Last edited:
I have a proto with a tiny pop to the flight plate. Not a massive dome at all but isn't flat or puddle topped.

Are proto stamps the same plastic as production stuff?

Mid all the way.

If you could do two mids roughly analagous with the Scale and Serpent (with more glide) you'd have a pair of winners. The more I throw the Scale, the more I appreciate the mold.

I've got a tar pit Scale on the way, and I'm thinking about filming a round at Cumberland Green with three Scales: Armor, Fossil and Tar Pit. Its a short course so I think I can easily come in under par.

Can't wait to hear how the Tar Pit fits in with the other two plastics.

I have a proto with a tiny pop to the flight plate. Not a massive dome at all but isn't flat or puddle topped.

Are proto stamps the same plastic as production stuff?

It depends on the blend. AIM what color did you have? Fossil are all white and the recipe has changed but they've all been flat as can be. The Tar Pits aren't board flat but I'd say they're still "flat" discs.

The only ones that really popped up were the one batch of Armor that Dave threw in. We were going to grind them but the plastic is just so great that we chose to let them slide a bit.

Mine is grey. Pretty firm but still baseline plastic.

Are there just flexibility/feel differences or durability as well with fossil vs tarpit?

Mine is grey. Pretty firm but still baseline plastic.

Are there just flexibility/feel differences or durability as well with fossil vs tarpit?

Hmm the Grey batch was pretty great. Most all of them were flat with a little give to the flight plate. The thing with the Scale is that the flight plate is so extremely thin that anything other than stiff plastics are prone to warping as they mold up.

I'd say Tar Pit is more resilient to chipping as Fossil is very firm. That said, at this point we've only had one batch of Tar Pit so that could change in the future. I've actually got Dave schedueled to do a run of Tar Pit Serps/Scales here this coming week because the initial batch was really enjoyed by a lot of folks. I think I might dial up the flex a bit for this batch. I want a nice SSS/SS feel for them with a chalky finish.

For whatever reason, the Armor Scales domes are greatly effected by the color of the Armor blend. I have two whites, and one orange. The orange has a wee bit of rise (it's the one I bag) while the whites do have dome for sure. They all fly the same.

As a self-styled Scale guru, I can say the Fossil Scales have a stronger finish than the Armors. The HSS is about the same. The Armor has just a little bit more glide, but still barely any at all. They both stick really well. For summer though, I think I will bag the Fossil. I prefer a stiffer disc, in general.

Unless I fall in love with the Tar Pit first!

Precisely. Just thought Fossil Fuel would be a little easier than Fossil Blend. Some folks got confused. It also kinda mixed with DD blend plastic so I wanted to get away from that term.
That is great news! I love this blend... Err... I mean; I love the Fossil Fuel!

Finally got out to play a round today used my fossil scale for tee shots under 250 and most approaches... Just wow this disc is a great addition to my back the fade is nice and reliable and distance power is easy to judge... Ground was soaked and the grip was still there even when wet unlike my kc pros that got a little slick when wet...can't wait to see what this disc does in different stages and can't wait to try future discs in fossil

For a long time I've heard about discs being "reliable" and usually referring to an OS disc. I get the phrase, but I also never really cared for super OS discs. Never liked really beefy Firebirds, Giants, etc.

In the past 7 months I've really grown to understand why having those types of discs in the bag is ideal. First was the Buzzz OS. Then the Scythe. Now the Scale. On rounds at my short course I've been finding myself leaning heavily on the Scale...moreso than the Envy which I didn't think was possible!

If the Scale gets into more hands (I've been doing my part!) I could seriously see this being in the running for Disc of the Year in 9 months. Yes, it's that good.

For a long time I've heard about discs being "reliable" and usually referring to an OS disc. I get the phrase, but I also never really cared for super OS discs. Never liked really beefy Firebirds, Giants, etc.

In the past 7 months I've really grown to understand why having those types of discs in the bag is ideal. First was the Buzzz OS. Then the Scythe. Now the Scale. On rounds at my short course I've been finding myself leaning heavily on the Scale...moreso than the Envy which I didn't think was possible!

If the Scale gets into more hands (I've been doing my part!) I could seriously see this being in the running for Disc of the Year in 9 months. Yes, it's that good.

I appreciate the MEGA compliment but there's no way our little DGCR a fueled mold can compete with an Innova/Trilogy juggernaut.

Latest posts