• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

Ordered a Black one today, pretty excited to try it against my Harps, though it's so much slower I may not have to kick a disc to bag it.

Yep. My Armor Scale (most used) will do a decent flex shot, but due to it's low speed and low glide it's not a shot I really use on the course. The Fossil Scales I have, all fairly fresh, fight out almost right away. Tar Pit, fresh, will fight out as well but not as quick as the Fossils.

Had my fossil scales shelved while the snow was deep and finally busted them out for a round today. Its confirmed that these are probably the best putting putters for me. Super consistent in the circle and outside I end up with a weird anhyzer style putt where the fade works out quite well.

Just got my Fossil today in the mail today, along with a couple "Lizards". Tomorrow will be fun!

Well my Wizards won out for my putters (of course, they're the best), so the Scale made my summer bag no problem. The Fossil just got joined by a Tar Pit that came in the mail today. Really comfortable between those two molds with my putt and approach game.

Another testament to the Scale's stability: Throwing a ~240' hole into a headwind today in a practice round. First shot from the tee I throw a fresh DX Roc on a slight hyzer nice and easy, the wind makes it pop up and ride much straighter than I wanted. I figure I'll try the Fossil Scale, because it's a hole I really should be throwing a putter on anyways. I put it on the same line, with even a bit more pop, it holds the hyzer the whole way, and Ting! One skip into the pin for a drop in.

RDG knocked it out of the park with this mold, a great OS complement to the best putter on the market. Every Wizard thrower needs one and as the Scale is making a case for the best OS approach disc on the market, maybe everyone needs one.

RDG knocked it out of the park with this mold, a great OS complement to the best putter on the market. Every Wizard thrower needs one and as the Scale is making a case for the best OS approach disc on the market, maybe everyone needs one.

HUGE compliment :clap:

I will say that one thing that separates the Scale from the relatively crowded OS PnA medley is its speed. The Breaker, Harp, Zone, etc. all seem to be more Tweener discs than actual putters. The Scale is the same, if not a tick slower, than the Wizard. It is a true, classic putter speed with a seemingly infinite amount of HSS. I've gotten my first Fossil Scale beat up to have a very delayed fade but I have yet to see a smidge of turn out of it. Now it is a glideless laser capable of 0 turn and a subdued 2 in the fade.

If you haven't given our flagship disc a try, I urge you to check one out. The high percentage hyzer upshot never has been easier than with a Scale of any flavor :cool:

My latest Scale video is processing right now (YouTube is being slow today) but I think it will really show jcass's point. There are several holes over 300 that, with the Scale, I had to put on a high flex shot to get anywhere close...and even then I was left with a short upshot rather than a putt. Those same holes are much more reachable with the tweener discs that jcass mentioned, and on much lower lines.

It's why I bag the Scale. Super reliable, for sure.

Solid video Andy!

This video does really show how OS the Scale is. I'm PUMPED to see that so many guys are digging are this disc as their "Go To" approach disc. I've given in to the fact that it isn't the putting mold for me. But I'd challenge anyone to place better approach shots with any disc vs. me and my Scale army.

Solid video Andy!

This video does really show how OS the Scale is. I'm PUMPED to see that so many guys are digging are this disc as their "Go To" approach disc. I've given in to the fact that it isn't the putting mold for me. But I'd challenge anyone to place better approach shots with any disc vs. me and my Scale army.

I'm getting REALLY close to that point. My orginal proto scale still needs to break in just a tad more, but once it does I'm pretty much throwing it for everything under 250 ft.

For some reason my upshots (100-250ft) have turned to garbage over the last year. I used to always throw a nice floaty nose up anny with a neutral putter for that shot, and it worked fine. For whatever reason my execution of that shot has gone to hell. I had been just sticking it out and trying to turn it around with practice and reps. I didn't want to just chance discs/styles cuz I felt like that would be a crutch. Now I throw the Scale as much as possible on my ups, and my upshot execution has improved dramatically. Instead of trying to float a nose up shot and relying on the disc to stall out to manage the distance, I just throw my scale right at the pin and the lack of glide brings it to the ground right on time, every time. I rarely fail to get up and down in 2 from 150-250 when I'm starting with a Scale. That is a very good feeling!

I still probably need to figure out how to throw the nose up stall again, but as long as I have a Scale I won't need that shot very often any more.

It's going to take a hot minute to break in your Scale unless you're throwing it a LOT. In the video I talk about my Armor Scale being broke in, but if you watch it's not like it's drastically different in flight than the Fossil, and the Armor starts off less overstable anyway.

I (usually) only play the course in the video once a week when tags are going on, so it's pretty rare for me to throw the Scale more than a couple times per round (unless it's mad windy) If I played that short course more, perhaps my Scales would be more worn in. Either way, it takes awhile since they start off so beefy.

Just got mine today, it's one of the all Black ones with the Dom Clark stamp on it. Pretty disc, it's a double stamp and is green and silver which looks cool on the black background!

Only thrown it a couple of times but it reminds me of a Yikun Gui in flight but the grip is much more substantial. I like the hand feel and the plastic is great for putters.

Great job on this one!

Just got mine today, it's one of the all Black ones with the Dom Clark stamp on it. Pretty disc, it's a double stamp and is green and silver which looks cool on the black background!

Only thrown it a couple of times but it reminds me of a Yikun Gui in flight but the grip is much more substantial. I like the hand feel and the plastic is great for putters.

Great job on this one!

Thanks! I'm oretty proud of it :)

As you becomes ore comfortable with its fight I think you will rely more and more on its ability to drop on command into your desired zone.

It's going to take a hot minute to break in your Scale unless you're throwing it a LOT. In the video I talk about my Armor Scale being broke in, but if you watch it's not like it's drastically different in flight than the Fossil, and the Armor starts off less overstable anyway.

I (usually) only play the course in the video once a week when tags are going on, so it's pretty rare for me to throw the Scale more than a couple times per round (unless it's mad windy) If I played that short course more, perhaps my Scales would be more worn in. Either way, it takes awhile since they start off so beefy.

Yeah my Scale gets thrown on a gnarly 280ish spike hyzer hole a couple times a week. If I miss the small island green its crashing onto concrete or asphalt with a lot of velocity. Its probably hit in the road 3 or 4 times since I've had it. So its breaking in faster then you would think for a disc that overstable and durable. One of the things about it that made me fall in love with the mold was how the fight didn't change one bit despite the obnoxious amount of road rash I put on it the first time that happened.

I'm not expecting it to get flippy or glidey at all. If I could just knock about .5 or so more off the fade I'd throw the scale for everything under 260ish that isn't left to right.

After a full round with the Scale, I like it a lot but it's not the disc I thought it was.

I was expecting it to be very Overstable like a Rhyno, but it's really not that overstable.

Releasing it on a hyzer it would flip up to flat and then fade gently. Even on spike hyzer lines it didn't hook up that hard.

The grip is amazing and it's not affected by wind almost at all. It's sort of like if you just throw some more beef on a Wizard...which is pretty much exactly what it is. Hits and sticks like a champ too.

After a full round with the Scale, I like it a lot but it's not the disc I thought it was.

I was expecting it to be very Overstable like a Rhyno, but it's really not that overstable.

Releasing it on a hyzer it would flip up to flat and then fade gently. Even on spike hyzer lines it didn't hook up that hard.

The grip is amazing and it's not affected by wind almost at all. It's sort of like if you just throw some more beef on a Wizard...which is pretty much exactly what it is. Hits and sticks like a champ too.

I'll have to send you another one. Sounds like you got a rare misfire. I've yet to throw a Scale that'll hyzer flip. Every Scale I've thrown has been like a Champ Rhyno in baseline plastic. And "gentle" fades aren't it's calling card from my experience.

Let's get you hooked up with a real Scale :thmbup:

I am defiantly not complaining! It's a very good disc and I will be using it at the very least for wet rounds.

If you want to send me another one I'm not going to say no, but if this one is a misfire you're hits must be epic.

If you look at the discs in his sig it sounds like he is the torque monkey from hell.

Latest posts